When will upsers be able to receive the covid-19 shot?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
New study I think released yesterday. Asymptomatic cases were 75% less likely to spread the disease even though they were more likely to be in contact with others.

I'd like to see that. Last I read, they were still clinging to some very sketchy contact tracings which they thought might have shown that it could be spread asymptomatically, maybe, and only had 5 instances of such. The WHO said back in April the only reason they thought the virus could be contained was because it wasn't spread asymptomatically, and that if it were, they would not recommend any action to try because it would be impossible. Then we get the story that the reason for lock downs is because it spreads asymptomatically. All it takes is a brief review of the stats to see which one of those assertions is correct.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Kids still get infected and they still spread it asymptomatically. Doesn’t mean they have immunity.
They don’t though. Kids under 10 have virtually no spread at all yes even with relatively high viral loads.

Asymptomatic spread is still up in the air also. At best it doesn’t happen. At worst it’s really rare.

Spanky250

I for one will absolutely get whatever vaccine is available to me, as soon as it is available for me. I have had to be extremely careful during this pandemic, because my wife has lupus so Covid would probably kill her.

The Driver

I drive.
Can can can may may may.

Lol no one said they couldn’t. It’s really rare though. Kids are in school all over the country and have been for months. That would have been shut down in no time if kids were spreading this stuff

Where did you see that asymptomatic spread wasn’t a big factor?

Brownslave688

Where did you see that asymptomatic spread wasn’t a big factor?

"Specifically, the study looked at how much the virus spread within households. The researchers found that among the studies that met their parameters, the "secondary attack rates" — that is, the likelihood of spread from an infected person to a previously uninfected person within a household — were higher among people who had symptoms than among those who didn’t: 18% for symptomatic individuals vs. 0.7% for asymptomatic individuals."

The Driver

I drive.

"Specifically, the study looked at how much the virus spread within households. The researchers found that among the studies that met their parameters, the "secondary attack rates" — that is, the likelihood of spread from an infected person to a previously uninfected person within a household — were higher among people who had symptoms than among those who didn’t: 18% for symptomatic individuals vs. 0.7% for asymptomatic individuals."
Interesting. Keep in mind that that the conclusions were also:

“These findings suggest that households are and will continue to be important venues for transmission, even in areas where community transmission is reduced.

“Crowded indoor environments, such as households, are high-risk settings for the transmission of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2).”

I would want an epidemiologist to explain this article to me in the clearest terms. It’s easy for a guy like me to pick one data point and draw a larger conclusion that doesn’t reflect the science.

Brownslave688

Interesting. Keep in mind that that the conclusions were also:

“These findings suggest that households are and will continue to be important venues for transmission, even in areas where community transmission is reduced.

“Crowded indoor environments, such as households, are high-risk settings for the transmission of severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2).”

I would want an epidemiologist to explain this article to me in the clearest terms. It’s easy for a guy like me to pick one data point and draw a larger conclusion that doesn’t reflect the science.
Of course it’s going to spread in a house. Same as every other virus known to man.

18% to .7% isn’t an insignificant amount though. If asymptomatic transmission was that low in a household where people are right next to each other all day long than it’s a pretty safe assumption that it’s not a significant factor in community spread.

The Driver

I drive.
Of course it’s going to spread in a house. Same as every other virus known to man.

18% to .7% isn’t an insignificant amount though. If asymptomatic transmission was that low in a household where people are right next to each other all day long than it’s a pretty safe assumption that it’s not a significant factor in community spread.

I just think we need to be careful about the conclusions we draw from these metadata studies. For one, definitions of "asymptomatic" and "symptomatic"... I remember a WHO study that studied "asymptomatic" spread and they were referring to all people who were asymptomatic in a group, not necessarily those who were identified as COVID positive who were also asymptomatic for a time before they started showing any symptoms. They lumped everyone in together and created a lot of confusion for the Internet armchair epidemiologists.

Again, thanks for sharing. But I think the balance of evidence is strongly in favor of a higher level of asymptomatic spread through society in general than what you're suggesting. Have a good day, man.