BoxyBrown

Hello comrades!

New hire here, I've done some reading, but I decided to just consolidate all my questions here.

A bit about me, I was a step van and EDV driver for Amazon. One of the reasons I left was that I realized how much of a deadlock they have on their employees. I'll save that rant for another time, but it made me feel like a stormtrooper and I didn't see any good future for myself. Last year, I got on as a seasonal driver for UPS. I saw all the guys in their late 40's and 50's talking about retirement and how well set up they are, so I decided to pursue a career.

My career goal at the moment is to perform every role in the facility that I reasonably can while advancing. I want to really understand what each member of the team deals with on a daily basis. Then, I want to settle in a position with the union like a steward. I want to be every employee's friend, and constantly advocating for our quality of life. I'm not afraid to work hard or upset the status quo when it needs to be done.

I was told to get on in the warehouse as a packge handler. It took a year of checking that damn website, but I did it. Now, I am about 30 days into my initial 70 as a PT packge handler. So far they have me loading step vans and I like the work more than I expected. I've noticed a few questionable things, and I've gathered that it is difficult to get a straight answer out of anyone regarding almost anything unscripted.

For simplicity, I'm going to continue as a series of numbered questions/observations, any thoughts or experience you all could lend me is greatly appreciated. Thank you for reading and I look forward to becoming an active member of the community!

1. How concerned should I be with being identified at work as my Brown Cafe handle, especially considering my intentions to be active in the union? As a seasonal driver, they emphasized not to do errands in your browns or represent the company in a negative way. They didn't talk about that as much at preload.

2. Is anything merit based other than smiles and donuts? I work hard, and I've learned that you don't want to be the golden goose to a lazy farmer. Pay comes with position and seniority, right? Is there anything for me to work towards in regards to simply doing my job excellently?

3. Should I expect, or be prepared, to develop a contentious relationship with management? Shortly after I started, a guy around my age started as a PT sup. We get along well, but I've noticed his stress level going up as we approach peak. I also noticed that I have caught a few side eyes from ome of my FT sups after commenting on the volume and logistics of our setup. You can't catch bulk for two cars spaced two cars apart at the same time with no staging area. I worked with the PT sup and we actually changed it slightly for the better, but I think the one FT sup is a bit wary of my attitude. Should I expect to not like my PT sup as time passes, or am I over thinking it?

4. Continuing on the last question, should I be worried about being fired before getting my seniority if I am performing well? I have been a bit outspoken, then I realized I have a 70 day probationary period, not 30. Should I lay low and just move the boxes until then?

5. What's my best resource for learning all the benefits and career paths available to me? I don't think I've met my HR rep yet, and my shop steward seems a bit unconcerned with the belt I'm on.

6. The belt I am on is high volume, we are loading 4 cars each and most of them are heavy. I've gathered from a couple other employees that I'm on the worst belt, but noone has actually said that, just things like "that one can get crazy". I get the feeling that I'm either being patronized, because every belt is like that, or that it's a trial by fire, make it through this, kind of thing. Any thoughts?

7. Any general thoughts and tips for a PT packsge handler, 30 days in?

TBC

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Hello comrades!

New hire here, I've done some reading, but I decided to just consolidate all my questions here.

A bit about me, I was a step van and EDV driver for Amazon. One of the reasons I left was that I realized how much of a deadlock they have on their employees. I'll save that rant for another time, but it made me feel like a stormtrooper and I didn't see any good future for myself. Last year, I got on as a seasonal driver for UPS. I saw all the guys in their late 40's and 50's talking about retirement and how well set up they are, so I decided to pursue a career.

My career goal at the moment is to perform every role in the facility that I reasonably can while advancing. I want to really understand what each member of the team deals with on a daily basis. Then, I want to settle in a position with the union like a steward. I want to be every employee's friend, and constantly advocating for our quality of life. I'm not afraid to work hard or upset the status quo when it needs to be done.

I was told to get on in the warehouse as a packge handler. It took a year of checking that damn website, but I did it. Now, I am about 30 days into my initial 70 as a PT packge handler. So far they have me loading step vans and I like the work more than I expected. I've noticed a few questionable things, and I've gathered that it is difficult to get a straight answer out of anyone regarding almost anything unscripted.

For simplicity, I'm going to continue as a series of numbered questions/observations, any thoughts or experience you all could lend me is greatly appreciated. Thank you for reading and I look forward to becoming an active member of the community!

1. How concerned should I be with being identified at work as my Brown Cafe handle, especially considering my intentions to be active in the union? As a seasonal driver, they emphasized not to do errands in your browns or represent the company in a negative way. They didn't talk about that as much at preload.

2. Is anything merit based other than smiles and donuts? I work hard, and I've learned that you don't want to be the golden goose to a lazy farmer. Pay comes with position and seniority, right? Is there anything for me to work towards in regards to simply doing my job excellently?

3. Should I expect, or be prepared, to develop a contentious relationship with management? Shortly after I started, a guy around my age started as a PT sup. We get along well, but I've noticed his stress level going up as we approach peak. I also noticed that I have caught a few side eyes from ome of my FT sups after commenting on the volume and logistics of our setup. You can't catch bulk for two cars spaced two cars apart at the same time with no staging area. I worked with the PT sup and we actually changed it slightly for the better, but I think the one FT sup is a bit wary of my attitude. Should I expect to not like my PT sup as time passes, or am I over thinking it?

4. Continuing on the last question, should I be worried about being fired before getting my seniority if I am performing well? I have been a bit outspoken, then I realized I have a 70 day probationary period, not 30. Should I lay low and just move the boxes until then?

5. What's my best resource for learning all the benefits and career paths available to me? I don't think I've met my HR rep yet, and my shop steward seems a bit unconcerned with the belt I'm on.

6. The belt I am on is high volume, we are loading 4 cars each and most of them are heavy. I've gathered from a couple other employees that I'm on the worst belt, but noone has actually said that, just things like "that one can get crazy". I get the feeling that I'm either being patronized, because every belt is like that, or that it's a trial by fire, make it through this, kind of thing. Any thoughts?

TBC
IMG_6054.gif

Thebrownblob

Hello comrades!

TBC
1729305514008.gif

Thebrownblob

Hello comrades!

TBC
Congrats, Your enthusiasm will wear off. It’s a good job. Make sure you’re in the union.

rod

Retired 23 years
Until you get in the Union it don't hurt to be a big suck ass.
I should add--management will never be your friend if the chips are down. They will stab you in the back every chance they get. PRETENDING you care goes a long way.

Hello comrades!

TBC
Good luck

BoxyBrown

2008 Brown Cafe: "Welcome newbies, there are no dumb questions. Puppies sunshine rainbows."

2024 Brown Cafe: *INSTANTANEOUS BOOMER :censored2:POSTING*!!!

😂 I'm here for it

MORS HOSTIBUS

English major being put to use. Just get in line and wait your turn. Ask co workers questions weeks after you build there trust. It feels less threatening that way. Get a second job because it might be some years before you achieve your "dreams ".