10.00 or 10.01 gor 9.5 violation

542thruNthru

Because some people care about others
well-i-never-gif-8.gif

35years

Gravy route
Love "working" a safety hour, then putting in 10.

That way I am paid for an hour of standing around in addition to my time and 1/2 and a half hour of triple time.

I am on the safety committee at the request of the B.A. specificly to make sure other members don't snitch about other drivers' safety problems.

And for all of you who think safety members are suck ups...I am laughing strait to the bank, filing grievances as usual, and making sure the other safety members are not snitching.

Whither

Scofflaw
Yep, it creates a ton of animosity against the local. We all know why members are really part of the safety committee me.
Here there is a split: some safety committee members are there for the extra hours and seem to be genuinely concerned that rookies develop safe working habits, others are wannabe managers/rats.

35years

Gravy route
Here there is a split: some safety committee members are there for the extra hours and seem to be genuinely concerned that rookies develop safe working habits, others are wannabe managers/rats.
Then you join and keep an eye on the rats. Love absolutely laying into the rats when they mention a spicific driver. Threaten to pull thier union card in a non-right to work state....
They turn green.

Whither

Scofflaw

That way I am paid for an hour of standing around in addition to my time and 1/2 and a half hour of triple time.

I am on the safety committee at the request of the B.A. specificly to make sure other members don't snitch about other drivers' safety problems.

And for all of you who think safety members are suck ups...I am laughing strait to the bank, filing grievances as usual, and making sure the other safety members are not snitching.
We have an alt-stew on there for the same reason. My former stew and I both brought to the BA's attention that certain safety committee members were promoting company nonsense, e.g., "If you follow the methods, it doesn't matter if you're working 6 days and 60 hrs every week."

35years

Gravy route
Told the center manager straight to his face in front of the rats...You will not discipline the driver who was ratted on, and will not even mention the incident to him. Otherwise the rat looses his union card.

Very satisfying.

Poop Head

Judge me.

Sounds like a big circle jerk to me

Whither

Scofflaw
Personally I'm still in favor of disbanding the safety committee. :wink-very: The company is not a good faith partner; as soon as it mentions 'safety' it begins talking out of both sides of its mouth and looking for ways to shift the blame solely onto Teamsters' shoulders.

Personally I'm still in favor of disbanding the safety committee. :wink-very: The company is not a good faith partner; as soon as it mentions 'safety' it begins talking out of both sides of its mouth and looking for ways to shift the blame solely onto Teamsters' shoulders.
It's so like the safety committee does anything anyways. Besides being company spies

Whither

Scofflaw
It's so like the safety committee does anything anyways. Besides being company spies
I know at least a couple safety guys who take overwhelmed rookies under their wing and give sound advice, but that could and would be done without the safety committee. I'm not the mentoring type, but when the occasion arises I try to steer the young bucks in the right direction, and most drivers are happy to do the same. Although I've found not enough of my coworkers read the damn book

I know at least a couple safety guys who take overwhelmed rookies under their wing and give sound advice, but that could and would be done without the safety committee. I'm not the mentoring type, but when the occasion arises I try to steer the young bucks in the right direction, and most drivers are happy to do the same. Although I've found not enough of my coworkers read the damn book
We call it adopt a rookie program here. Not sanctioned by UPS

barnyard

KTM rider
I‘d think, in this situation, a steward or the affected member could have a field day with filing supervisors working grievances. I’m assuming that the sorts are chronically short handed, like here, and they can never find people to work. If they are not allowing the union member who is willing to work to actually do the work, due to being on the 9.5 list, file on the supervisors working. If supervisors are working how hard is the company working to staff the sort properly. Management has lots of tools to use in order to do the right thing. Usually the reason they don’t is due to costs.
We have enough other drivers volunteer to work the preload that supes rarely load or unload. We have a shop steward that files on it.