Anyone Afraid Of Inflation?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Biden's plan for fighting inflation is booster shots, blaming big corporations? WUT?

How about the budget busting spending bill he's trying to get done?

Last edited:

Red Headed Stranger

If you have any extra money laying around, you can invest up to $10,000 in an I Bond through TreasuryDirect. The composite rate from November 2021 through April 2022 is 7.12%. Sure beats the .50% on a CD right now.

Darmark7

Retired 2020. Not my Problem Anymore!
If you have any extra money laying around, you can invest up to $10,000 in an I Bond through TreasuryDirect. The composite rate from November 2021 through April 2022 is 7.12%. Sure beats the .50% on a CD right now.

7.12% is for 6 months. They call that a teaser rate. I wonder what the rate will be after 6 months? Still a place to put some cash.

“For the first six months you own it, the Series I bond we sell from November 2021 through April 2022 earns interest at an annual rate of 7.12 percent. A new rate will be set every six months based on this bond's fixed rate (0.00 percent) and on inflation”

Red Headed Stranger

7.12% is for 6 months. They call that a teaser rate. I wonder what the rate will be after 6 months? Still a place to put some cash.

For the first six months you own it, the Series I bond we sell from November 2021 through April 2022 earns interest at an annual rate of 7.12 percent. A new rate will be set every six months based on this bond's fixed rate (0.00 percent) and on inflation
True, but with Biden in office and inflation not looking like it's slowing down, I think the following six months will still beat any CD rate that's available.

“For the first six months you own it, the Series I bond we sell from November 2021 through April 2022 earns interest at an annual rate of 7.12 percent. A new rate will be set every six months based on this bond's fixed rate (0.00 percent) and on inflation”
The previous 6 months was 3.54 and the 6 months before that was 1.68%.
Some of my older bonds are close to 7 and 3/4% now

Red Headed Stranger

My parents saving plan for me and my brothers college was savings bonds.

Seemed like a good idea in the early 80’s. Turned out not so much.
The I bonds did not become available until 1998. Yeah, the old savings bonds (Series E) weren't much, except if they were used for higher education, the interest (what little bit there was), was tax-free. The H bonds were great but they discontinued them.