Archives

B

brownie43

Maria B of CNBC sure dropped the ball on the closing bell Friday at the NYSE. She identified the guys in brown on the podium as FEDEX people. Please Maria!! Get a life!!

V

vgpa

Thank You marmac, it seems some people on the "other" board don't like what I have to say about this subject.

U

upsbrown

get a life...
nobody is targeting you....
You screwed up.. If you did not know it was wrong than you should go for stupidity..

L

lr1937

Is there any truth to fdx ground not doing a good job with service and that it is still just the same old RPS.
I have also seen on other boards, that the contract drivers are not happy especially with Air drivers not doing near the amount of work they do and getting better pay.

R

robonono

Eskew comes off a bit weak again, but at least Jan knows the difference between UPS and FDX, unlike Maria B.

CNNfn

Street-Sweep

February 15, 2002

With Jan Hopkins

JAN HOPKINS, CNNfn ANCHOR, STREET SWEEP: Ringing the closing bell here at the New York Stock Exchange this afternoon was United Parcel Service (Company: United Parcel Service Inc.; Ticker: UPS; URL: http://www.ups.com/), the worlds` leading package delivery company. UPS is the sponsor of Daytona 500 race, which kicks off Sunday. Joining us now, the man who rang the closing bell, the company`s CEO and Chairman, Michael Eskew. Welcome.

MICHAEL ESKEW, CHAIRMAN & CEO, UNITED PARCEL SERVICE: Hi, Jan. Nice to be with you.

HOPKINS: So what`s the connection between Big Brown and Daytona?

ESKEW: Well, between Nascar and Big Brown is technology and precision and excellence and speed and all the things that we do. So we think it`s a natural tie-in.

HOPKINS: And you actually are also sponsoring some cars. I assumed that they won`t look like the trucks that we see.

ESKEW: Well we would like Dale to drive that truck but Dale, so far, isn`t deciding to drive that truck. But the number 88 UPS car is one of the best ones on the track and hopefully he does well on Sunday.

HOPKINS: Let`s look at new commercial that`s going to air on Sunday during the race.

ESKEW: Great. It`s a lot of fun.

HOPKINS: Yeah. Tell us how business is.

ESKEW: Business is-we had a better fourth quarter than we thought we were going to have. We just announced that a couple of weeks ago. We saw a pretty strong Christmas we thought. We thought the e-commerce channel was great. Our international part of our business was strong. Fifteen percent up in European exports. Seven percent up in Asian exports. So we`re starting to see that part of our business really starting to move up and we`re excited about that.

HOPKINS: So you have a sense that the economy`s getting better, I guess?

ESKEW: Well parts of it anyway. We like the international parts and e-commerce was very strong at Christmas time, Jan. So we like what we see of that part of it also.

HOPKINS: Are you benefiting from problems at the postal service, do you think?

ESKEW: I-the postal service is mostly letters and direct mail and our parcel business is quite a bit different than that. So we don`t see much of an up tick because of the post office.

HOPKINS: Now you did announce, yesterday, dividends and stock buyback. The stock was up a little bit today in a down market. Are you expecting the stock to continue to move higher?

ESKEW: Well we think we have awfully strong principles and we think we`re-we think we`re an awfully solid company. So we like where we are.

HOPKINS: Now oil prices actually have started to move a little higher. You`ve been benefiting from the fact that gasoline has been costing a lot less?

ESKEW: That`s right. It has made our costs come down. But, I mean, oil will go up and down and we know that`s going to happen and we`re prepared for that.

HOPKINS: Do you hedge?

ESKEW: We do hedge. We have hedged on both sides. We`re certainly not in that we don`t-we haven`t reached those levels yet, but hopefully we won`t.

HOPKINS: Thanks very much. Michael Eskew, the Chairman and CEO of UPS. Thanks for joining us.

ESKEW: Thanks Jan.

R

rayups

Is there anyone out there doing hypo's for under $100,000, if so, how can I contact them. thanks in advance.

D

donaldd

You might want to check out this site: Fedexgroundbeef.com. Lots of information about Fedex problems with their ground employees.

M

my2cents

Indicted Boston Boss Targeted by the Mob
Boston-area gangsters were plotting to use violence to push aside Int'l Bhd. of Teamsters Local 25 president George W. Cashman in the mid-1990s and seize control of lucrative movie contracts, a U.S. Drug Enforcement Admin. agent said in an affidavit filed Feb. 11 in federal court. John "Mick" Murray, a Local 25 member and an alleged associate of fugitive organized crime boss James "Whitey" Bulger, was "not pleased with the management of Local 25 by . . . Cashman," Agent Joseph W. Desmond said in his affidavit. Murray and Phil Myers, another Local 25 member who was arrested in 1998 on drug charges and is now cooperating with authorities, were allegedly "part of a conspiracy to take charge of Local 25's movie crews through the use of force and violence," he said. The two men plotted to "confront Cashman with a weapon and force Cashman to make changes in the management of the movie crews," Desmond said, adding that they went so far as to track the union president's movements before Myers was arrested and the plan was abandoned.

The allegations surfaced during Murray's bail hearing and mark the first time that federal law enforcement officials have publicly released information about Local 25's attempts to strong-arm movie producers operating in New England. Cashman was arrested Jan. 16, at the same time as Murray and several Local 25 officials and associates. Cashman pled not guilty to charges of embezzling from the local's health care fund. Murray pled not guilty to a 12-count indictment charging fraud, extortion, and theft. Murray is accused of receiving $35,000 in unearned health benefits, stealing computer shipments from a UPS facility in Chelmsford, Mass., and shaking down a bookmaker and Airborne Express truck driver.

Desmond's affidavit offers a detailed look of the operations of the "Charlestown group," described by the agent as a loosely knit association active in murder, drug trafficking, bank robbery, extortion, and truck hijacking since the 1960s. Murray used his connections with Local 25, Bulger, and the Charlestown group in an attempt to take over Boston-area rackets after federal crackdowns on organized crime in the 1990s, the affidavit alleges. Along with two other men, the affidavit says, Murray "had designs of expanding the influence of the Charlestown group, based upon the power vacuum" resulting from the 1995 arrests of mob figures Frank Salemme and Stephen Flemmi and Bulger's flight.

"It's the government's position this criminal organization - though now weakened - is still alive and well in Charlestown," said Asst. U.S. Attorney Fred Wyshak told U.S. Magistrate Judge Robert B. Collings.

Arguing to keep Murray behind bars, Wyshak said he also took part in a "heinous extortion" in 1994. Wyshak said Murray, a convicted bank robber, joined Bulger lieutenant Kevin Weeks in hauling a bookie into a South Boston basement for a lesson in the consequences of withholding Bulger's "rent." The men allegedly outfitted the room for an execution. Plastic covered the floor. Freezers stood nearby and a single stool was placed under a glaring light. Wearing knuckle-baring gloves and showing off a gun in his waistband, Weeks - who became a government witness in 1999 - berated bookie Kevin Hayes and ordered him to strip in case he was wearing a wire, according to the government. Another man present allegedly insisted Weeks kill Hayes. Eventually Hayes promised to fork over a $ 50,000 "fine." He paid $ 10,000 in a first installment, the government said, eventually pleading that $1,000-a-week was too much. He then paid Murray monthly, and continued until 1997, the affidavit states.

Prosecutors also alleged that Murray extorted Local 25 member Paul Kupchaunis, a delivery driver, by instructing him to hand over a UPS master key to cancel a $50,000 contract on his life. That key allegedly opened up a $1 million theft ring involving mostly high-end electronics.

Finally, prosecutors argued Murray's contacts with organized crime in Montreal and the Irish Republican Army make him a flight risk. A pretrial services report recommends releasing him on $10,000 bond. Collings did not making an immediate ruling. [Boston Globe; Boston Herald 2/12/02]

Source: NLPC's Union Corruption Update

M

michael

True , but she looks damn good when she does get them confused ! What can I say , she is my money honey ...just had to interject my 2¢......

U

upsadvisor

rayups,

You dont have to borrow $100,000.
Depending on how much stock you have for collateral you can borrow less than that.

If you would like more details let me know I would be happy to help.

You can probably call any full service financial
services firm as well. I would suggest you call a few to get an idea of who has the best to offer.
( Info is the name of the game )

John

J

jcroche

moreluck:

Thank you for gracing these boards again.

Over the years I have looked for your posts on this board on a daily basis, and wondered in awe where you have come up with your newfound truisms.

Please, continue posting daily!

thx

jcr

K

kjones514

UPS has purchased another 60 scarebuses with options for 50 more, to bad I was on the bottom of the OPL pyramid scam.

M

mountaingoat

Does anyone know the details about UPS stock donation to charity? Has anyone done it? I was thinking about donating some shares to my church next year instead of cash as a way of reducing capital gains.

To wit: The way that I understand it, one can donate shares to a charitable organization, and the organization receives the full face value of the shares. The donor receives a tax write-off on the face value, not the purchase value. So, conceivably, the donor would be able to move long-held shares out of the portfolio and reduce overall capital gains. Then the donor could take the cash that would have gone to the charitable organization and repurchase UPS stock at the face value. The net result is this moves shares that have a high cap. gains out of the portfolio, while still holding on to the same amount of net shares. The shares repurchased are at face value and have a while to go to recoup capital gains. It also should not affect the net total dividend or the 2.5%.

Has anyone done this?

M

marmac

The fact remains that UPS can save a great deal of money if they demote or force out a grade 18 or 16 the last 5 years of his or her service. When you look at what has been going on all over the country the numbers sure lean towards age discrimination. I have heard too many times that the old should make way for the young. I thought it was supose to be the older more experience managers prepare the young for their position. I don't feel that there is anything to get over when you put everthing into your job, and the reward is short of what was promised to you. Don't get me wrong there are some people that should not be at UPS and they should move on. The problem is the consistency should be performance and not age. There are way too many inconsistencs in the way people are evaluated. even to day it is more subjective then ever.

R

retired

From Todd Lebor of Morningstar

In one of its boldest moves since Michael Eskew became CEO, UPS UPS announced Tuesday that it would reorganize its salesforce to better serve the logistics market. This could be a brilliant move, if Eskew can pull it off. UPS has made it clear that logistics and other nonpackage businesses will drive growth, but the firm has been stymied by a culture focused on its core business. If Eskew is successful in this reorganization, then our estimates for revenue growth are probably a bit conservative, providing some upside to our fair value estimate. However, success in this effort is not assured, so we are leaving our fair value alone for now.