Indecisi0n

Yeah that’s what I was doing the other night and it still didn’t work. Then the driver that helped me said engage the tractor brake before letting off the gas so that way it stays in place backed up on it
If you engage the tractor brake then how are you going to move?

Johney

Anyone help me on this? It only happened in the very beginning of going on my own right after training. I would have trouble releasing the pin to pull off the trailer. Then I had weeks where it wouldn’t happen and now it’s happening again. So I know you have to back up on the trailer to release it, but a few nights ago I did that and it didn’t work. I asked another driver in the yard. He does the same thing and it works. Is there an extra step other than just backing up on the trailer? Are you supposed to pull the brake while backing up.
This usually occurs when the trailer pin is against the locking mechanism on the fifth wheel. Try backing against the trailer with the trailer brake on then pull the tractor brake right before you spin the tires.

Indecisi0n

No what I’m saying is you gas it and then slowly let off the gas and engage the tractor brake before completely letting off the gas.
So you want to jam on the tractor brake while your moving? I wouldn't do that. If your parking on an incline what I will do sometimes in park by just engaging the trailer brake then put the tractor in neutral and it will roll off the pin then engage all brakes and it shouldn't be a problem.

barnyard

KTM rider
Your 5th wheel could be wearing out. Are you always using the same tractor?? Stop in the shop and spray the 5th wheel area around the jaws with the spray lube. Our guys have it in plastic spray bottles. When the tractor at my building was getting closer to getting the 5th wheel replaced, I was spraying the jaws every night during my pretrip.
You might have to write it up a couple of times before it is replaced.

Indecisi0n

Your 5th wheel could be wearing out. Are you always using the same tractor?? Stop in the shop and spray the 5th wheel area around the jaws with the spray lube. Our guys have it in plastic spray bottles. When the tractor at my building was getting closer to getting the 5th wheel replaced, I was spraying the jaws every night during my pretrip.
You might have to write it up a couple of times before it is replaced.
Parts on order.

barnyard

KTM rider
Parts on order.

Exactly. The bid holder wrote it up, one of the other cover guys wrote it up, told me about it, mechanic in my building said to spray the jaws with lube. Was a good temporary fix. If I remember correctly, the 5th wheel was replaced the next PMI. That fixed it.
Rereading the above... I could pull the pin, but the trailer would not always slide off. Empties were really bad. Had to jerk the trailer off the 5th wheel. Sucked if one was spotting empties at a customer location.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Pull out red , trailer
Push in yellow back against pin
With foot still on brake
Pull yellow
With foot on brake and pulling yellow at the same time , you’ve kept pressure off of pin

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
set trailer brake.
back into pin and while you have pressure against pin set tractor brake.
get out and pull pin
most of time this works.

sometimes you have to rock back and forth a couple times and then do the above again.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
This is especially helpful if you have to park on a slope. It puts the kingpin in a bind. This is how I tore my rotator cuff.
I had to lock up my pin puller since they go missing so easily.

there are all kinds of other tricks. sometimes the pin won't pull because there is too much weight on 5th wheel and you have to raise trailer a little bit more. sometimes you have to drive a little bit forward or backward and find a flatter spot. especially true in dirt.

and sometimes it's just a fifth wheel that is dirty and clogged up with dirt. this happens from the sand they throw on the roads in winter. whenever i had a problem with a fifth wheel locking mechanism it was straight to the shop . but usually this doesn't happen all at once. you are given some warning that there is a problem. I hated driving other drivers' tractors because some would just let things go. You would tell them about a problem you had and they would say "Oh, ya , I knew about that but don't have time to fix it."

Then they would get pissed off if you wrote things up and the mechanic red-tagged it to repair .

Indecisi0n

2u8e3ac.gif

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
We need a mechanical push button release handle in the cab. We already work too hard and pulling the 5th wheel handle is just too taxing.
Here ya go, Indy. UPS has some equipment to fit your needs, of course, the trade off is that you lose your AC, and the engine is inches from you, and feels like a heater going full blast. I had a shifting job for 2 years when I first came into feeders. The floor of these is steel and will get so hot that it will burn the bottom of your feet through your boots.

Indecisi0n

Here ya go, Indy. UPS has some equipment to fit your needs, of course, the trade off is that you lose your AC, and the engine is inches from you, and feels like a heater going full blast. I had a shifting job for 2 years when I first came into feeders. The floor of these is steel and will get so hot that it will burn the bottom of your feet through your boots.
Can I use that for my customer pickups !

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
Can I use that for my customer pickups !
I have seen some that were actually street legal. We had a building that had no fuel pumps at it, and the shifter would siphon diesel out of any handy tractor on their yard. If he ran low on fuel and there were no tractors, he'd hop onto the road and drive to a nearby station that sold diesel.

ManInBrown

I have seen some that were actually street legal. We had a building that had no fuel pumps at it, and the shifter would siphon diesel out of any handy tractor on their yard. If he ran low on fuel and there were no tractors, he'd hop onto the road and drive to a nearby station that sold diesel.
We have a few that are street legal. You can’t venture far from the yard but they have plates on them. We have an off site lot a few blocks away and another building has no fuel. Shifters go a mile down the road to a gas station.