He was that good....like is said, I hated him.

If he had to he could have put his back box on the door without breaking his set down.
Guy I knew from ABF was like that, backed a set up around the corner and between two pups regularly. Didn't realize how incredible it was when I saw it, figured every trucker knew how to do it after a couple years. Lololol

Cementups

Box Monkey
He was that good....like is said, I hated him.

If he had to he could have put his back box on the door without breaking his set down.
We have a kid at one of our sister buildings who can put the rear pup on the door. The boss saw him one day and said, "Yeah that's pretty cool........don't let me see you do it again. " LOL

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
He's a better driver than me.
I wouldn't chance my equipment "getting sideways" and hitting adjacent trailers.

As you describe it that would call for your equipment being kept in a straight line making it nearly impossible to see the dolly.

But what could I know.....
Oh he’s light years ahead of me I won’t even cowboy a dolly if I’m dropping it off at the staging area when I’m breaking them up. I don’t even attempt it.

I saw a guy one time back the lead against the dolly and he left his pintle open on the trailer. He bumps the dolly then hits the brakes. Dolly pops up, and lands right in the pintle hook. He is either one of the best drivers I’ve ever seen or insanely lucky.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I cowboy hooked onetime without having to pull forward once…but there was no one to witness how awesome it was
^ 6 months ago I could cowboy a set. But now that I took a sleeper run and other people build my sets for me......I might be a little rusty.lol

Cowboy Mac

Oh he’s light years ahead of me I won’t even cowboy a dolly if I’m dropping it off at the staging area when I’m breaking them up. I don’t even attempt it.

I saw a guy one time back the lead against the dolly and he left his pintle open on the trailer. He bumps the dolly then hits the brakes. Dolly pops up, and lands right in the pintle hook. He is either one of the best drivers I’ve ever seen or insanely lucky.
That is so lucky that the dolly didn’t pop up and keep going up. I’m the same as you, I don’t try that. The only time I will is if I’m breaking a set and I put my dolly away in the dolly dump. Even then I don’t back all the way, just to get it closer in.

Trucker Clock

That is so lucky that the dolly didn’t pop up and keep going up. I’m the same as you, I don’t try that. The only time I will is if I’m breaking a set and I put my dolly away in the dolly dump. Even then I don’t back all the way, just to get it closer in.

There are also the ones that will open the flapper when breaking up a set, pull out from the rear, hit the brakes and then quickly gun it. The dolly will pop up as it is coming out from the rear box, pop off the pintle and then fall to the ground.

Bam. Dolly off the lead all in one move, without having to get out and remove the dolly.

But, I had a driver ride back with me after being discharged because this time he did it, the dolly popped off alright, but then raised up too high in the front and it knocked out the bottom door panel. The guy did this move all the time, but this time, I guess he did not gun it fast enough as the dolly was popping off the pintle.

Don't know if was being lazy, or just showing off, but it ended up costing him thousands of dollars in the end.

Johney

IMG_1996.jpeg

Here’s one for you guys who don’t hook the safety chains up when bringing your dolly over to the rear. Sucker went about 100 yards till the curb slowed it down.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
That could’ve easily killed someone. I don’t understand why people don’t take the extra 5 secs to attach their chains
The packaging guys don’t even chain the back door anymore. I see them bouncing along on the highway all the time. You’re right, it’s literally seconds to secure them. SMH

Johney

That could’ve easily killed someone. I don’t understand why people don’t take the extra 5 secs to attach their chains
I agree it went right across the walkway into and out of the building, luckily it was between shifts. I never moved one again w/o hooking up the chains. I saw guys doing it everywhere and would show them what can happen. “Oh wow that’s crazy” I would get, two days later I’d see the same guy doing it again.

Cowboy Mac

The packaging guys don’t even chain the back door anymore. I see them bouncing along on the highway all the time. You’re right, it’s literally seconds to secure them. SMH
That means they’re leaving the building without doing a pre trip.
I agree it went right across the walkway into and out of the building, luckily it was between shifts. I never moved one again w/o hooking up the chains. I saw guys doing it everywhere and would show them what can happen. “Oh wow that’s crazy” I would get, two days later I’d see the same guy doing it again.
They don’t care. They will when they lose a dolly but it’ll be too late then.

over9five

Staff member
I’ve seen them go right through the lead door doing that.
In didn't see it happen, but I saw the result. Knocked the whole door in off the tracks down at WORMA several years ago. Full 100% load (now squished to about 98!).
Dragged it to the shop, last I saw mechanics were scratching their heads unsure of how to fix it.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
We had a guy in my old department, no chains, maybe didn't close his pintle hook, turned a corner in our yard, dolly came off and it went thru a chain link fence and the tongue buried itself on the other side of a deep ditch.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider

There are also the ones that will open the flapper when breaking up a set, pull out from the rear, hit the brakes and then quickly gun it. The dolly will pop up as it is coming out from the rear box, pop off the pintle and then fall to the ground.

Bam. Dolly off the lead all in one move, without having to get out and remove the dolly.

But, I had a driver ride back with me after being discharged because this time he did it, the dolly popped off alright, but then raised up too high in the front and it knocked out the bottom door panel. The guy did this move all the time, but this time, I guess he did not gun it fast enough as the dolly was popping off the pintle.

Don't know if was being lazy, or just showing off, but it ended up costing him thousands of dollars in the end.
We had an accident this morning where a guy was putting two together and didn’t put the chains on and didn’t use the cotter pin. When the dolly hit the rear it popped out of the pintle and broke through the door on the lead. I have the picture that I won’t post to save the driver from any more embarrassment that he’s already feeling.