By Invitation Only

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
image.jpeg

Good morning!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

They are all crap holes. Be sure to put the max allowed away for final expenses before going in.

With all due respect this is about the worst advice that you could have given.

The ideal is to protect your assets before going in. How do you do that? Transfer anything and everything you have to a trusted family member at least 5 years before you anticipate having to go in to a nursing home or assisted living center.

Future

Victory Ride
With all due respect this is about the worst advice that you could have given.

The ideal is to protect your assets before going in. How do you do that? Transfer anything and everything you have to a trusted family member at least 5 years before you anticipate having to go in to a nursing home or assisted living center.
Good advice

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Good advice

Thanks. My brother and I had a crash course in protecting assets from Medicaid. We were able to "hide" just under $100K in assets prior to putting our father in to the home. We were self pay for the first few months as we had to wait before applying for Medicaid. Self pay was around $8K/month.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I will say this the one my FIL is in is like a damn country club he has his own apartment.they do the laundry and clean there's a pub a gym with tons of equipment an indoor and out door swimming pool ( not a pretty sight) cost him a fair amount to move in and they take his SS check. He's a retired school administrator so he's got a sweet pension.
It's worked out well for him

Old sob even has a girlfriend
WTF!!

Sounds more like an assisted living facility or retirement community than a nursing home.

My ex MIL lives in a very nice retirement community and had a similar buy in deal. She is fortunate in that her late husband was a triple dipper and she is a double dipper so she is not hurting for money.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We have long term care insurance and have had it since our late 20's.......not so expensive when you get it early.
It's a bitch to have to put anyone in those places........their safety is the goal.

I call BS on getting a LTC policy in your late 20's. Most people in their late 20's have not even begun to think about their retirement, let alone long term care.

oldngray

nowhere special
Thanks. My brother and I had a crash course in protecting assets from Medicaid. We were able to "hide" just under $100K in assets prior to putting our father in to the home. We were self pay for the first few months as we had to wait before applying for Medicaid. Self pay was around $8K/month.

My old neighbors ended up in nursing homes on Medicaid, and yes all of their assets were taken before the Medicaid kicked in. Just enough to provide minimal care in a lousy nursing home.

Future

Victory Ride
Sounds more like an assisted living facility or retirement community than a nursing home.

My ex MIL lives in a very nice retirement community and had a similar buy in deal. She is fortunate in that her late husband was a triple dipper and she is a double dipper so she is not hurting for money.
Off the cuff question ...do you still speak with her?