By Invitation Only

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We have a retiree who got hosed by his ex, has had his house foreclosed on and as of today lost 29% of his half of his pension. He is working under the table to supplement his pension.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If I got divorced and she got half of my pension I'd work until the day I died out of spite.

Wouldn't matter.

I didn't realize it but my ex would be eligible to start drawing once I reach our plan minimum age/YOS requirements whether I retire or not. Granted, she would lose 6% for each year she was shy of 65, but she would not have to wait if I decide to keep working out of spite.

oldngray

nowhere special
We have a retiree who got hosed by his ex, has had his house foreclosed on and as of today lost 29% of his half of his pension. He is working under the table to supplement his pension.

Under our old rules you couldn't work any job even if it was non union and many retirees worked under the table. They were watched and if caught could lose their pension. Different now since they realize many will have to work to supplement their pensions, just as long as it doesn't compete with Teamsters.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Under our old rules you couldn't work any job even if it was non union and many retirees worked under the table. They were watched and if caught could lose their pension. Different now since they realize many will have to work to supplement their pensions, just as long as it doesn't compete with Teamsters.

That was draconian.

My rules look harsh, until you realize you have to meet all three criteria to lose benefits.