By Invitation Only

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
My generation, we don't want what UPS provides. Was talking to a manager the other day about it. My district manager starts replying to emails at 3AM and doesn't unplug until 9PM. We don't want that. It's just too much.

Luckily so many of the higher ups are due for retirement in the next few years. That can create a culture shift which is needed.

Are you sure you aren't just hoping?

I was there long enough to see a culture shift, and it wasn't a good thing.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I'm hopeful, but realistic. I think we need to get rid of some of the old blood. At least then there is a chance.

I hope so, for your sake and every other newer person.

It was tough when I started in 1978, but at least we all had a common goal. That's been missing for a long time.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I hope so, for your sake and every other newer person.

It was tough when I started in 1978, but at least we all had a common goal. That's been missing for a long time.
You can see a difference between the older guys and the younger guys. Younger guys usually want to do the right thing, aren't so quick to rush to progressive discipline versus the younger guys run full speed into a warning letter and worry about the wrong metrics.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
You can see a difference between the older guys and the younger guys. Younger guys usually want to do the right thing, aren't so quick to rush to progressive discipline versus the younger guys run full speed into a warning letter and worry about the wrong metrics.

I can understand that. But, the company still has to answer to the markets. That wasn't a priority back when I started.

As drivers, the only job we had was to provide service.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I can understand that. But, the company still has to answer to the markets. That wasn't a priority back when I started.

As drivers, the only job we had was to provide service.
There is a bigger focus on service with people around my age. The higher ups have been pushing "Perfect Service Monday" where you have 0 late or missed. But I've brought it up before, why are Mondays so special? It's something we should strive for everyday.

There still needs to be a balance though. We can't be paying drivers 36 bucks an hour to stand and flirt with the receptionist. We are milking every penny we can out of drivers right now, because we are paying guys so much more than the competition.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
There is a bigger focus on service with people around my age. The higher ups have been pushing "Perfect Service Monday" where you have 0 late or missed. But I've brought it up before, why are Mondays so special? It's something we should strive for everyday.

There still needs to be a balance though. We can't be paying drivers 36 bucks an hour to stand and flirt with the receptionist. We are milking every penny we can out of drivers right now, because we are paying guys so much more than the competition.

Oh, I agree with you.

But, the balance has to come from the management side also.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We are told that we are not allowed to deliver any NDA to anywhere other than the address on the package on Monday. We all have customers that meet us on road for their packages and they are telling us that we can’t give them their air.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
We are told that we are not allowed to deliver any NDA to anywhere other than the address on the package on Monday. We all have customers that meet us on road for their packages and they are telling us that we can’t give them their air.
I've never heard that, but we have to print manifests and drivers have to verify air and run straight air. Everything needs to get delivered.

But that's the problem. We'll go over the top but then we can sit on our hands the rest of the week? It's silly.