By Invitation Only

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
I’ve come to the conclusion that none of you have dealt with any person with autism.
Niece is autistic - middle of the road.
She is sweet but of course in her own world.
My sister feels that everyone should stop what they are doing and cater to the kid.
I feel "they" should make 'reasonable' accommodations but she doesn't think that is enough.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
My nephew is the same. Great kid (25 yo), but will never be self-sufficient. He has a part-time job packing groceries for home delivery. Once you get to know him, communication isn’t a problem.

They expect no special concessions for him, just the same respect anyone should get.

And, my bp goes up every time I hear the word “:censored2:” used.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I’ve come to the conclusion that none of you have dealt with any person with autism.
It comes down to the fact that not everyone deserves the same stuff.

Parents of kids with disabilities often lose perspective of the real world. They think their kid deserves everything to be exactly like the other kids. That's just not how the world works.

Had a family in an extremely small town here. Like 300 ppl. Whole areas property taxes went thru the roof because of a disabled kid.

K-8 school that's it. Parents sued the school district because he had no access to upstairs. The plan originally was just have his grades classes on the bottom floor every year.

They ended up building an entirely new school to accommodate his disability.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
It comes down to the fact that not everyone deserves the same stuff.

Parents of kids with disabilities often lose perspective of the real world. They think their kid deserves everything to be exactly like the other kids. That's just not how the world works.

Had a family in an extremely small town here. Like 300 ppl. Whole areas property taxes went thru the roof because of a disabled kid.

K-8 school that's it. Parents sued the school district because he had no access to upstairs. The plan originally was just have his grades classes on the bottom floor every year.

They ended up building an entirely new school to accommodate his disability.

That seems to be a problem with the parents, not the child.

Brownslave688

That seems to be a problem with the parents, not the child.
For sure. As is the case most of the time.

Just like the Disney situation.

Disney has what a large majority of people would consider reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities. Now you have a few people filing a lawsuit over it.

oldngray

nowhere special
I have known a couple of brothers who tried to fit into society as much as possible and worked at menial jobs so they could feel they were contributing. They were mostly functional but still lived with their parents and will never be able to cope by themselves. I knew another boy who had severe emotional problems and needed to be under constant supervision. He burned down his parents house after he started a fire and got scared and hid in a closet. At the other extreme I knew a girl who was above average intelligence but used her Asperger's diagnosis as a crutch and excuse whenever her life got difficult. I knew other too but those are just some examples. There is such a wide range of people slapped with the autism label it tends to lose its meaning. Plus the political correctness of changing names of things. The county department of mental retardation changed its name a few years ago because it now sounds offensive.

oldngray

nowhere special
For sure. As is the case most of the time.

Just like the Disney situation.

Disney has what a large majority of people would consider reasonable accommodations for persons with disabilities. Now you have a few people filing a lawsuit over it.

The people screaming lawsuit usually aren't the ones who really need the extra help.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I have known a couple of brothers who tried to fit into society as much as possible and worked at menial jobs so they could feel they were contributing. They were mostly functional but still lived with their parents and will never be able to cope by themselves. I knew another boy who had severe emotional problems and needed to be under constant supervision. He burned down his parents house after he started a fire and got scared and hid in a closet. At the other extreme I knew a girl who was above average intelligence but used her Asperger's diagnosis as a crutch and excuse whenever her life got difficult. I knew other too but those are just some examples. There is such a wide range of people slapped with the autism label it tends to lose its meaning. Plus the political correctness of changing names of things. The county department of mental retardation changed its name a few years ago because it now sounds offensive.

I’m sorry, but all your experience seems to be third person in nature.

Live with it for a while and your perceptions will change.

Now, go chase the neighborhood kids off your lawn.

oldngray

nowhere special
I’m sorry, but all your experience seems to be third person in nature.

Live with it for a while and your perceptions will change.

Now, go chase the neighborhood kids off your lawn.

Third person?

Also true for you unless you are personally autistic and able to speak in the first person.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
Sorry Cos. I didn’t mean any disrespect if I offended you. My remarks about the Disney lawsuits were meant for the parents. My son has been borderline autistic/ADD for the past three years. They won’t diagnose either until age seven or eight for fear of overdiagnosing these days. We’ve been avoiding medication without a diganosis for awhile, and trying to treat his symptoms with diet. I find myself more frustrated than ever, but have been reminding myself to stay calm and not blame him when he takes 40 minutes to get dressed in the morning.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Sorry Cos. I didn’t mean any disrespect if I offended you. My remarks about the Disney lawsuits were meant for the parents. My son has been borderline autistic/ADD for the past three years. They won’t diagnose either until age seven or eight for fear of overdiagnosing these days. We’ve been avoiding medication without a diganosis for awhile, and trying to treat his symptoms with diet. I find myself more frustrated than ever, but have been reminding myself to stay calm and not blame him when he takes 40 minutes to get dressed in the morning.

You didn’t offend me. It’s the deniers and know-it-alls that offend me.

I seem to remember you mentioning that about your son. People without personal experience have no idea how wide ranging autism is. Recently, we spent the weekend with my sister and family, and there was another couple there with an autisic son at the high end of the spectrum. Just a sponge for information. I had a great time talking with him, but, he too may never be entirely self-sufficient.

Brownslave688

IMG_7335.PNG