By Invitation Only

rod

Retired 23 years
I was thinking that. Might be better to water deep as needed. This way you encouraged deep root growth.
Last thing you want is for your roots to have to do a 180 to search for water. Letting the grass go dormant is better than that.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Last thing you want is for your roots to have to do a 180 to search for water. Letting the grass go dormant is better than that.
Deep watering does not diminish the upper roots, it encourages a more developed system.

542thruNthru

I was thinking that. Might be better to water deep as needed. This way you encouraged deep root growth.
Honestly I don't think I need to go much longer. Water in the morning at 7am. Its a small yard with a lot of sprinklers and begins to puddle pretty quickly. (I'll try and take a pic of all the sprinklers going off)

Also remember this is CA. Its getting high 70s low 80s and as you can see from the picture I have a large tree that covers a lot of the grass in shade so it doesn't get roasted by the sun all day.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Honestly I don't think I need to go much longer. Water in the morning at 7am. Its a small yard with a lot of sprinklers and begins to puddle pretty quickly. (I'll try and take a pic of all the sprinklers going off)

Also remember this is CA. Its getting high 70s low 80s and as you can see from the picture I have a large tree that covers a lot of the grass in shade so it doesn't get roasted by the sun all day.
I forget about the soil too. How deep can you drive a screwdriver into the soil?

rod

Retired 23 years
I forget about the soil too. How deep can you drive a screwdriver into the soil?
We don't have "soil" here we have sand. It's tough getting a good growth of grass here. If you have a load of black dirt brought in what you normally get is black sand--a waste of money.

542thruNthru

Well it seems the soil is supporting life. Mulch mow to feed the soil. You could also topdress with peat annually.
I leave clipping usually.
I can slide 6 or 7 inches of a spike into the ground pretty easily.
20200811_173731.jpg

20200811_173749.jpg

20200811_173814.jpg

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
My Township pays 2 bucks a pair for the front feet of these pests. They are hell on the road embankments. We had a kid come in with 300 pairs a couple years ago. A LARGE Zip-lock Baggie full. They take your word for it because nobody wants to count them.
I leave clipping usually.
I can slide 6 or 7 inches of a spike into the ground pretty easily.
View attachment 305566
View attachment 305567
View attachment 305568

Freakin weirdo