By Invitation Only

rod

Retired 23 years
What do new license tags cost where you all live? Minnesota rapes you for the first 5 years or so on new vehicles. Tabs for my new truck are $526 the first year. They will go down about $50 bucks a year. The cheapest tabs I think are probably $42 until your vehicle is 25 years old--then you can get "Pioneer" plates for it -- a one time charge of around a hundred bucks. I could be wrong but I've been told in South Dakota ALL license tabs are something like $35. It don't matter if its a compact car or a Class A motorhome.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
What do new license tags cost where you all live? Minnesota rapes you for the first 5 years or so on new vehicles. Tabs for my new truck are $526 the first year. They will go down about $50 bucks a year. The cheapest tabs I think are probably $42 until your vehicle is 25 years old--then you can get "Pioneer" plates for it -- a one time charge of around a hundred bucks. I could be wrong but I've been told in South Dakota ALL license tabs are something like $35. It don't matter if its a compact car or a Class A motorhome.
Do you pay propert taxes on vehicles?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
My state rapes you when you first buy a new car on Tags, Title and Registration. The cost is based on what the sales price was, basically another sales tax. Tags and registration renewal is about $54 a year, but then we also have to have emissions done every two years which is about $32.

oldngray

nowhere special
Here you have to pay sales tax on a vehicle when you buy it but no property tax. If you buy the car used in a private sale just put gift as the sale price when you get the title transferred to avoid the sales tax. The only property tax is real estate.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Here you have to pay sales tax on a vehicle when you buy it but no property tax. If you buy the car used in a private sale just put gift as the sale price when you get the title transferred to avoid the sales tax. The only property tax is real estate.
We have property tax on a house, car, boat, and RV it's paid annually.

We are not allowed to claim a car as a free gift. You need to claim a purchase price of a few hundred dollars or the DMV will estimate the value and charge you based on that.

oldngray

nowhere special

We are not allowed to claim a car as a free gift. You need to claim a purchase price of a few hundred dollars or the DMV will estimate the value and charge you based on that.

Can you write off depreciation since its being taxed? Unlike real estate things like cars and boats decrease in value.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We used to be able to put $1 as the sales price on a private sale. The state figured out that it was losing a potential source of sales tax so they now do the same as your state. The only exception may be for immediate family members.