C.O.D's

Fuzzy Brown

They don't have the money.
They suck at running a business.
They've burned every line of credit in existence.
They are garbage people and I hope they all die.
I agree there are some like that but I know of people who have been doing this for 20 years they couldn’t possibly stay in business if they’re so tight on cash a $300.00 COD would break them.

my training route and the first few routes afterwards never had cod's, my current route has them daily , usually split between a comic book store and a bridal boutique. i guess dc comics has a new release coming out soon because i picked up a check for a few thousand today. that wasn't unusual though because that same comic book store has cod's daily and once had a single box for upwards of 14k.

today however was a whole new ball game. smallish box. not more than 5lbs.

25,580.00 cod.

bridal boutique. single dress. 3 checks.

i wanted to ask the lady if the model came with the dress but i like my job.
If it's over $10,000 it has to be one check not multiple. The DIAD should have prompted you.

bumped

An old route I had had a bridal shop that got 2-3 COD's daily. I told them they are basically paying a COD fee yearly that could be a paid vacation. I told them to look at their invoices for the COD cost and figure out how much its costing them per year. After a week they didn't get a COD again.

JoesUPSacct

Swollen Member
If it's over $10,000 it has to be one check not multiple. The DIAD should have prompted you.
we aren't allowed to accept a check over 10k according to our center mgr. the previous diad release allowed the total cod amount to be split into those separate checks, totaling the cod amount. now the new diad release won't allow those multiple checks, it has to be recorded as a single check on the diad but we (at least here locally) are still required to have all checks be under 10k. so, when i turn in the envelope at night i have to enter 1 single check even though i may have put 3 into the envelope.

a month or so ago i had a hell of a time getting to stop complete at a comic book store because they had a single box cod over 14k. i tried everything i could think of to get to stop complete but the diad wasn't having any of it. my ors drove out to my location and after messing with it for 45 minutes he gave up and we settled on the procedure above and my center mgr said that's how we'll do it from now on.

we aren't allowed to accept a check over 10k according to our center mgr. the previous diad release allowed the total cod amount to be split into those separate checks, totaling the cod amount. now the new diad release won't allow those multiple checks, it has to be recorded as a single check on the diad but we (at least here locally) are still required to have all checks be under 10k. so, when i turn in the envelope at night i have to enter 1 single check even though i may have put 3 into the envelope.

a month or so ago i had a hell of a time getting to stop complete at a comic book store because they had a single box cod over 14k. i tried everything i could think of to get to stop complete but the diad wasn't having any of it. my ors drove out to my location and after messing with it for 45 minutes he gave up and we settled on the procedure above and my center mgr said that's how we'll do it from now on.
That is incorrect
It has nothing to do with UPS rules it's the IRS rules. They don't want people hiding transactions over $10,000

oldngray

nowhere special
That is incorrect
It has nothing to do with UPS rules it's the IRS rules. They don't want people hiding transactions over $10,000
And a lot of customers don't want to pay for their supplies until they are delivered. Costs them more in shipping charges but lets them hold on to their money longer. Plus a lot of those places are on the shady side and want to stay off the government radar.

JoesUPSacct

Swollen Member
That is incorrect
the irs doesn't like cash transactions over 10k. credit cards and checks have a very easily verifiable history. cash transactions don't. besides, i'm not interacting with the irs on behalf of the bridal shop, i'm interacting with my center mgr who says don't accept a check over 10k and the only cod customers i have on this route who regularly receive cod's have already been trained to split up the checks.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
My favorites are heavy, bulky CODs where you learn that the first day is always gonna be NM1. Then you come back the next day, they've got new CODs in addition to the send-agains. They pay for the send-agains but once again NM1 for the rest and once again need you to write down the pertinent info. Glad I don't have a single spot like that on my route.
Ask first, scan second. Use dup stop and scan the no money's separately so you dont get confused.

the irs doesn't like cash transactions over 10k. credit cards and checks have a very easily verifiable history. cash transactions don't. besides, i'm not interacting with the irs on behalf of the bridal shop, i'm interacting with my center mgr who says don't accept a check over 10k and the only cod customers i have on this route who regularly receive cod's have already been trained to split up the checks.
Well your center manager that told you do that is incorrect

Last edited:

JoesUPSacct

Swollen Member
Ask first, scan second. Use dup stop and scan the no money's separately so you dont get confused.
when i am pushing the hand truck through the door the first thing i say after hello is "were you expecting some cod's today?"

i stack the pkgs in two piles, regular and cod and i don't scan the cod's until the checks are in my hand and i use the amount on the check to input in the diad

very well could be but it doesn't affect me in any significant way. he was a driver in our center for years before being "promoted" to center mgr so if that's how he wants these handled i'm not going to lose any sleep over it.
Just because you're supervisor tells you something is correct does not mean he is telling you the truth.

oldngray

nowhere special
when i am pushing the hand truck through the door the first thing i say after hello is "were you expecting some cod's today?"

i stack the pkgs in two piles, regular and cod and i don't scan the cod's until the checks are in my hand and i use the amount on the check to input in the diad
I had some customers I knew wouldn't have the money the first day so left the cod packages on the truck and told the customer how much.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

Back in the day, multiple that times every hair salon, clothing store, small mom and pop shop, etc, on route. Add in, adding up cash for multiple with same shipper number, cash plus check, certified only, etc. No diad to tell you all these amounts, that was on you to do the math.

It sucked.

JoesUPSacct

Swollen Member
I had some customers I knew wouldn't have the money the first day so left the cod packages on the truck and told the customer how much.
this bridal shop is like that, they are never expecting cod's and there is never anyone there to write a check. they also aren't m-friend so whenever i roll up and they're closed, i write the cod info on the info notice as well as 1st of 3 attempts so they know i'm not going to keep doing this indefinitely.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
And a lot of customers don't want to pay for their supplies until they are delivered. Costs them more in shipping charges but lets them hold on to their money longer. Plus a lot of those places are on the shady side and want to stay off the government radar.

Marijuana dispensaries rely on cash transactions.