California

island1fox

Before tos posts --my facts were from Fox or Limbaugh --let me save him some time --it was an AP report --the Associated Press --real conservative news source !!

moreluck

golden ticket member
Does Mexico give people in their country illegally free money to attend college?
Via College Fix:

Some students in the country illegally have complained that the millions of dollars the University of California system recently pledged to help them earn a college degree will come by way of student loans instead of grants.

As UC officials discuss specifics on how the $5 million UC President Janet Napolitano recently budgeted to support undocumented students will be allocated – much of which will go to student loan programs, it’s been decided - some student activists have bemoaned that it’s not fair to strap stressed out, disadvantaged students in the country illegally with college debt.

“We think that the 5 million dollars will have an impact if the money goes directly into the pockets of undocumented students,” By Any Means Necessary campus activist group leader David Douglasstold The Daily Californian in an email.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Well, your opinion will change when it's in your state and your own grandkids are denied perks....like reduced rates at colleges in favor of those who aren't even here legally.
Easy to be Mother Teresa when you live in a bubble.

Nimnim

The Nim
Let's take illegal immigrants out of the argument entirely.

I'll pick 2 states, say Illinois and Texas. Both "big" states with diverse cultures, now let's say students from Texas are able to get in state tuition and guaranteed student loans if they attend school in Illinois, but complain that they're loans they must repay and not grants. While the students from Illinois have the same situation, in state tuition and student loans they have to repay as well. Why shouldn't a student who is a resident of Illinois be upset that someone from out of state is getting the same tuition rate and gets the same loans but wants it so they don't have to pay like the resident of Illinois?

MAKAVELI

Well, your opinion will change when it's in your state and your own grandkids are denied perks....like reduced rates at colleges in favor of those who aren't even here legally.
Easy to be Mother Teresa when you live in a bubble.
You can tell your grandkids they can always work in the fields if they want perks. I hear the pay is great, and they get to work outside.;)

rod

Retired 22 years
I Googled "what percentage of illegal immigrants pick crops?" and wasn't surprised to find out that most all the sites that popped up agreed that only about 2% actually did. That pretty much shoots the hell out of the old "pickin crops" argument.

MAKAVELI

I Googled "what percentage of illegal immigrants pick crops?" and wasn't surprised to find out that most all the sites that popped up agreed that only about 2% actually did. That pretty much shoots the hell out of the old "pickin crops" argument.
If you believe that I got a bridge for you to buy.

oldngray

nowhere special
That is probably a correct number with only 2% of illegal immigrants working in fields. Another number to look at might be what % of farm workers are illegals.

moreluck

golden ticket member
toon140108.jpg

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll

YA moreluck, celebrate the loss of thousands of jobs for californians. This train isnt designed for people in your age catagory. Its designed for the future of californians. The thousands of jobs that will be created both in the public and private sector will help revive california residents.

The future of travel in this country has to start somewhere, and as long as the republicans can delay the building of this rail, the more it will cost taxpayers.

In your story, every republican mentioned in it argues to delay the train as long as possible and NONE of them talk about the jobs that the project will create.

Why not embrace growth in california? Why not look beyond the messaging of the GOP? Why not look outside the box and understand that every job that will be created will take someone off of disability or unemployment?

Instead, you will argue to stop the project and then ultimately keep people on the goverments dole, then bitch about that.

TOS.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Gee, the pipeline was suppose to create jobs too, but the pres said no . Should I apply all the points you bring up to the president's objection to the pipeline?