confederate flag?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
To be a nation, doesn't at least one other nation have to recognize you as a nation? Not one country recognized the pretend CSA as a legitimate country, let alone recognizing South Carolina as a country.
NO, but to your point, the US National government declared that any country that recognized the Confederacy would be at war with the US. Most countries, to avoid war, granted the Confederacy "belligerent status" which allowed trade and support for the Confederacy without official recognition.

Pa

Pardon me, but I have said nothing of swastikas or hillbillies. What I have said is that the flag represents a defeated enemy of the United States and that it has picked up a reputation for representing racial bigotry. I didn't assign those attributes. History did.
I get ticked off that the government can't display the Ten commandments but they can display the rebel flag.

Merry Christmas.

Last edited:
T

Turdferguson

Pa

Pardon me, but I have said nothing of swastikas or hillbillies. What I have said is that the flag represents a defeated enemy of the United States and that it has picked up a reputation for representing racial bigotry. I didn't assign those attributes. History did.
I brought up swastikas because that too has "picked up a reputation " of bigotry and hatered. If you have ever been to a person from India's house some have swastikas on the step of their door. Not for hate but because it represents good luck and fortune to them.
Same symbol two different meanings.
Why then is it so inconceivable that the Confederate flag can have two separate meanings. Does one have more merit than the other? Who decides that.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Pa

I devoted today to listening to Right Wing radio between stops. Even Michael Medved thought the Confederate flag should come down. Whenever I see a Confederate flag I immediately think "redneck", but I don't live in the South. It's a symbol of defiant ignorance to most people, and if you're Southern and proud to be ignorant, keep right on flying it with pride.

The South, where cousins marry and produce new generations of genius kids who have the IQ of a radish, or Rick Perry. Your choice.

T

Turdferguson

I devoted today to listening to Right Wing radio between stops. Even Michael Medved thought the Confederate flag should come down. Whenever I see a Confederate flag I immediately think "redneck", but I don't live in the South. It's a symbol of defiant ignorance to most people, and if you're Southern and proud to be ignorant, keep right on flying it with pride.

The South, where cousins marry and produce new generations of genius kids who have the IQ of a radish, or Rick Perry. Your choice.
Judge people much without knowing anything about them.

bbsam

Staff member
I brought up swastikas because that too has "picked up a reputation " of bigotry and hatered. If you have ever been to a person from India's house some have swastikas on the step of their door. Not for hate but because it represents good luck and fortune to them.
Same symbol two different meanings.
Why then is it so inconceivable that the Confederate flag can have two separate meanings. Does one have more merit than the other? Who decides that.
I don't know. That's why I asked.

Sportello

NO, but to your point, the US National government declared that any country that recognized the Confederacy would be at war with the US. Most countries, to avoid war, granted the Confederacy "belligerent status" which allowed trade and support for the Confederacy without official recognition.
Once again, a selective interpretation of the facts.