confederate flag?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Go back into this thread and read as I already addressed that. Slavery is/was an economic order that as much became seen as immoral as much as it became economically obsolete and unsustainable. I think the first helped to expedite the second. And rightly so too.

Here is a timeline of slavery that began its collapse well before the events of 1860.

Regardless of the war itself, industrial mechanization or what became industrial farming would have ended slavery as well so the coffin of slavery was already shut and most nails driven in the lid to begin with.
Don't try and tell the Republicans that.
"Freed the slaves" is their battle cry.

wkmac

Do you think the southern whites would had freed their slaves without a war.

And Lincoln said he wouldn't touch the institution of slavery.

So you would have let slavery survive long after 1865, just to avoid looking at a Confederate flag?

Becuase slavery would have survived both of Lincoln's terms.

So how long do you think it would take to kill slavery once and for all, without a civil war?

RB, nothing I say is going to matter at this point to you on this subject. You are too emotionally wrapped in your own POV and you have no desire to look elsewhere except at what you already believe to be true. If that weren't true you'd have least gone back into this thread and look at some of the posts I made and many of your questions would be answered. You may not like the answers but they are answers.

That said, if it makes you feel better, then the only way for slavery to end is for the war to have been fought, otherwise we would still have slavery with us today.

Fair enough?

Now enjoy the gloating, however hollow it may be!

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
Well then, it's solved. It wasn't "northern aggression" or any thing like that. It wasn't even that they had no choice but to use slaves. They chose an unsustainable business model.
Yes.

You are just now realizing this?

bbsam

Staff member
Yes.

You are just now realizing this?
No. You seemed to suggest that the South had no choice but to secede and that the resulting war was the only way slavery was going to end. Wk showed in his time line that slavery across the world was coming to an end. Industrial technology existed to (with development) make slavery obsolete but the south stubbornly and stupidly refused to embrace it. Instead they clung to their "way of life" and paid dearly for it. Slavery could have ended quietly in the industrial revolution. The South chose relinquish it at the end of a gun.

No. You seemed to suggest that the South had no choice but to secede and that the resulting war was the only way slavery was going to end. Wk showed in his time line that slavery across the world was coming to an end. Industrial technology existed to (with development) make slavery obsolete but the south stubbornly and stupidly refused to embrace it. Instead they clung to their "way of life" and paid dearly for it. Slavery could have ended quietly in the industrial revolution. The South chose relinquish it at the end of a gun.
Kind ife like FedEx ground??
Cheap labor to the end???

It will come to a stop.
Independent contractor my ass!!

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
They chose to secede.

They had no choice but to give up slavery, because they lost the war.

I think your ideas on what is a choice and what is forced upon you, is wrong.

wkmac

Kind ife like FedEx ground??
Cheap labor to the end???

It will come to a stop.
Independent contractor my ass!!

The other irony on the part of Northern Industrialists was that slaves were a source of cheap labor. Over time that cheap labor was replaced with folk south of the border, eastern Europe and Asia.

Names and places change but the ultimate end never really does.

wkmac

About 40 years after the Civil War ended slavery, it was fully entrenched again only in another form and this time the taskmasters weren't the misguided, unpatriotic, noble genteel southern gentlemen but Northern Capitalists out to spread their new economic religion with an evangelic fervor backed up and protected by the new and growing Empire Seeking Nationalist State. Got rid of a democrat evil only to have it replaced with a republican evil. And we still haven't figured out there is no real difference between the 2 parties that want to rule over us?

Civilization in Southern Mills