Customer won't call in pick up, calls in complaint.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
This can all be avoided if you talked to your center manager to have business development set up a daily pickup for this customer.
They will research their package pickup history and have a pickup time scheduled.
UNFORTUNATELY FOR YOU, It'll probably be the same time you've been forced to do it now. All you did was make UPS some extra money.

I am on a business heavy route with a lot of pick-ups (85-110 business stops, 15-40 residential, ~30ish scheduled pickups). When businesses have unscheduled pickups for me most of the time it's no problem as it's just one, two even four or five I scan under special counts and keep going.

Today I got a complaint from a customer-- who regularly leaves pile of boxes at the front desk for me to pick up, which I do-- that I refused to pick-up when I simply asked them to call them in because it was 2:48 and I had to make another saver...I wouldn't have time to load up their stuff, cart it down the elevator and into PC.
Normally it isn't an issue although I've suggested they try scheduling a pickup, all she told me was "I called UPS and they told me you can't refuse a pickup" asking me my last name and what-not...sometimes my hands are tied like today to make a saver, and getting to the 30+ customers who actually pay UPS for me to come by.

My sup talked to me about it today and implied he doesn't want to have to get involved, and for me to be a professional bring in the volume etc. Am I wrong for asking them to call these in?

TL;DR- Customer wants free pickup everyday with their deliveries, says I have to take them no matter what (most of time I do, but couldn't today)
Was it possible for you to go back later?

barnyard

KTM rider
I cover routes that has a few accounts that ship out, but do not have a PU account. They have their stuff ready when we deliver and we PU then, most of the time. A few times, I have had the 1st stop try to hand me 10-12 bulky pieces when I was already bulked out (1st stop, had not delivered anything yet.) In those cases, I call in, tell them what happened and they take care of it.

If a customer has daily deliveries and has their stuff ready when we deliver, we should be taking their stuff with us. Most places that have a daily pick up, wants their stuff early and their pick up late, they get irritated if they are forced to have pick up and delivery at the same time (and I get their irritation. If I am paying for a separate pickup, then make separate stops.)

The OP needs to start using his/her lunch as a dispatch tool. The OP can fix this route, it will take a couple of weeks of pain, but it can be fixed.

Faceplanted

I cover routes that has a few accounts that ship out, but do not have a PU account. They have their stuff ready when we deliver and we PU then, most of the time. A few times, I have had the 1st stop try to hand me 10-12 bulky pieces when I was already bulked out (1st stop, had not delivered anything yet.) In those cases, I call in, tell them what happened and they take care of it.

If a customer has daily deliveries and has their stuff ready when we deliver, we should be taking their stuff with us. Most places that have a daily pick up, wants their stuff early and their pick up late, they get irritated if they are forced to have pick up and delivery at the same time (and I get their irritation. If I am paying for a separate pickup, then make separate stops.)

The OP needs to start using his/her lunch as a dispatch tool. The OP can fix this route, it will take a couple of weeks of pain, but it can be fixed.
Most of these guys attempt it for a couple days, the onroad intimidates them and they go right back to making their lunch at 7pm

I have fixed plenty of routes simply by taking my whole lunch before pick-ups start

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
So then run up your miles and have your sup asking why you were over your miles or over allowed because you drove back to a place to do a FREE pickup? If the packages have to be sent out that day the customer can pay for a pick up or take them to a ups store.
Wrong.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I basically have ~100 businesses to get off before 3:30-3:45 then pickups all the way until 5:15-5:30 so it's not always possible to go back but I do if I can.
(Nobody bid on this route for a reason)
You should of sent in a message saying they had pick up pieces that you couldn't grab because if time constraints and someone needs to get them.

rod

Retired 22 years
Welcome to the world of "customers". Even the nicest ones will turn on you in a heartbeat if things don't go their way.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Hello?...sup? That's a given, no?
most sups think the same of hourlies, so i wouldn't say it's a given

i think most sups desperately need an algebra or mathematical logic class under their belt, while most hourlies could probably lay off the caffeine in the AM

for feeders, maybe a liposuction..

although seriously i think if drivers and sups didn't talk to each other until the end of the day, this place would be 10x happier