DOT to Non DOT

It will be fine

You know, I used to think oldfart just didn't think before he/she typed. This thread has convinced me I'm dead wrong. He/she is just a plain old bigot/racist.

On to the ignore list. Pretty sad, of all the years and all the boards I have ever been a part of, I have never put anyone in an ignore list.

Also sad that BC seem to continue to allow the oldfart racism experience to continue.
I'm not sure what he has to do to get at least put on the mod queue. The mods have so far left up all his intentionally racist comments from last night. He's on the board to troll, but allowing overt racism should by a step too far.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I'm not sure what he has to do to get at least put on the mod queue. The mods have so far left up all his intentionally racist comments from last night. He's on the board to troll, but allowing overt racism should by a step too far.
Looks to be more covert.

I edited/deleted as soon as I saw it.
We mod when we see the report.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
You know, I used to think oldfart just didn't think before he/she typed. This thread has convinced me I'm dead wrong. He/she is just a plain old bigot/racist.

On to the ignore list. Pretty sad, of all the years and all the boards I have ever been a part of, I have never put anyone in an ignore list.

Also sad that BC seem to continue to allow the oldfart racism experience to continue.
In defense of the owners of BC, they're good people with lives who don't read most posts. They're not usually going to know about offensive posts until we report them. It's on us to report them. Personally, I appreciate their hands-off approach. We're adults. Sad some can't act like it though.

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
In defense of the owners of BC, they're good people with lives who don't read most posts. They're not usually going to know about offensive posts until we report them. It's on us to report them. Personally, I appreciate their hands-off approach. We're adults. Sad some can't act like it though.

Yeah, you probably don't want us hands-on. Of course, you control your own destiny. :weird:

dezguy

Believe me, I totally get that. No one is getting paid to patrol the forum's but this certainly isn't the first time oldfart has done this.

First time, chalk it up to stupidity, second time, it starts to throw up red flags. Third time, time for some time off.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
K folks, back on topic...

Wasn't the main reason for non-commercial DOT status was so u don't need to follow DOT hours of service?

Or you still have to have that 10 hour reset and 14 hours on duty per day?

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

Wasn't the main reason for non-commercial DOT status was so u don't need to follow DOT hours of service?

I know they sure took advantage of working us 7 days in a row two Peaks ago. They spaz on us going over 12 anyway because they'd have to pay us double time.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Heh, it's dispatch fault for setting your route to fail...

So no more bi-annual DOT health cards for the non DOT drivers? That's the only other cost savings I'm seeing... unless u have a CDL.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American

According to the "official" published version (posted on the bulletin board), both DOT and non-DOT are held to HOS rules.

Maui

Some medical examiners were disqualifying drivers or only approving for 90 days. FedEx had to pay for all visits after 30 days the costs add up.

It also meant that some couriers would fail and lose their job. The people response is that FedEx did it to take care of those people. The cynical response is that FedEx wanted to save money (fewer physicals, hiring and training costs, and fewer people needed for peak).

Non-DOT drivers are not subject to HOS rules. Despite what anyone may say they can work over 14 a day and over 70 in 8 days. They do not require a 34 hour reset.

MAKAVELI

Some medical examiners were disqualifying drivers or only approving for 90 days. FedEx had to pay for all visits after 30 days the costs add up.

It also meant that some couriers would fail and lose their job. The people response is that FedEx did it to take care of those people. The cynical response is that FedEx wanted to save money (fewer physicals, hiring and training costs, and fewer people needed for peak).

Non-DOT drivers are not subject to HOS rules. Despite what anyone may say they can work over 14 a day and over 70 in 8 days. They do not require a 34 hour reset.
Just like everything at FedEx, it's interpretation is at the discretion of local management.

It will be fine

And you guys say Ground has a safety problem. Having people that can't pass a physical driving for weeks without a day off sounds reckless.

Oldfart

And you guys say Ground has a safety problem. Having people that can't pass a physical driving for weeks without a day off sounds reckless.
Many people are failing their DOT physical for crazy reasons. Some doctors are now measuring the neck. If the neck is above 17 inches, a sleep study is ordered. A 17 inch neck is not out of the norm and does not constitute being obese. If having a 17 inch neck means you have sleep apnea, then a bunch of people have it. The blood pressure threshold is a reason as well. 141/91 is a little high but it will fail a DOT physical. The nerves of getting a DOT physical can be a leading reason for a spike in blood pressure. We have seen people that are a picture of health see a blood pressure spike and either fail or get a shorter time frame on their card.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

So as a former manager, which do you think it is, the people reason or the cynical reason?

Star B

White Lightening
I could see it being both. I can't say for certain but I've heard grumblings from wheel holders that the DOT exam has become more picky in the past 10-15 years. Leads to more DQs or limited cards. Which means, more $$$ in retests. Whether the DQs/retests were actually legit or not is for the MEs to know. I wouldn't put it past some corporate/small time MEs to keep the revenue flowing.

The cynical response is that FedEx wanted to save money (fewer physicals, hiring and training costs, and fewer people needed for peak).

Well, part of the cynical response is untrue. Express policy dictates no more than 14 in a day, 11 driving, mirroring DOT. Yes, Yes, Policy can be changed at a whim... but the facts are still there.... it's been policy for... how long? So, that kills off the 'fewer people needed for peak' because everyone is still limited to policy time.

Last edited:

SmithBarney

Nope. I am in the system as NONDOT. Been that way a few years. I found out when I renewed my CDL and was told in the future, the company would not pay the difference between a regular license and my CDL. Still have a medical card and just had a physical about 2 months ago.

Some how they pay me RTD pay but have me NONDOT. Seems like a contradiction but I don't ask questions.

IF you drive something that requires a CDL, then yes FedEx will pay for it. if you are required to have a DOT card to drive such vehicle then you should be classified as a DOT Driver. If not, then let your DOT expire, say I'm non DOT, and see what happens... What do you drive as a RTD?