Drones to help Package Drivers look like Feeder Drivers

UPSER110

Here are my thoughts saying in rural areas it could be beneficial. One Delivery on a clear perfect day as we all know isn't the case.

1. How would the drone transmit a video signal? Cell service? a route I run doesn't have service half the day, I cant even get DIAD messages.

2. I am guessing the route will be set up before we leave the building for what stops the drone will deliver. What about heavy rain/wind/snow? Will they be able to fly/see?

3. 10lbs or less, so lots of envelopes or stuff that will blow away. The drone cant put a package in a door,under a mat, or even out of the weather.

4. When the drone is approaching to dock we are just supposed to pull over, or in someones driveway?

5. Where does this money come from? my pkg car has 420k miles, cracks in the floor that let water and cold air in. These new cars, with more moving parts, and drones the maintenance, remote operator, etc wont be cheap at all.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
My question is, if the drone is sent to 15xx Something Road, and the actual residence is 200 yards off the road, where will it drop the package?

Google maps are good, but far from perfect. If the residence is under a tree canopy and was never really photographed, what happens?
Seriously Orion knows where the house is not just the address on the road.

Well mostly. There's a few houses it thinks are miles away from where they are. Lol

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

Well mostly. There's a few houses it thinks are miles away from where they are. Lol

Riiiightttt.

I remember getting DFUs printed with the Google map pin showing I was as far as a quarter mile away from the delivery point.

And, I don't know if you saw the Gizmodo link I posted, but apparently stray radio signals can confuse the drone.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Riiiightttt.

I remember getting DFUs printed with the Google map pin showing I was as far as a quarter mile away from the delivery point.

And, I don't know if you saw the Gizmodo link I posted, but apparently stray radio signals can confuse the drone.
Serious question how long have you been retired? 4-5 years? GPS technology has come a LONG way in that amount of time.

I've driven with the Orion tablet. For the most part it knows EXACTLY where the house is. Even in the counties we have that don't have 911 addresses even here.

By no means is it perfect tech and in the articles I've read ups admits it'll be years in the future before it's relevant but this is the closest thing to a feasible idea I've seen yet.

Poop Head

Judge me.
Serious question how long have you been retired? 4-5 years? GPS technology has come a LONG way in that amount of time.

I've driven with the Orion tablet. For the most part it knows EXACTLY where the house is. Even in the counties we have that don't have 911 addresses even here.

By no means is it perfect tech and in the articles I've read ups admits it'll be years in the future before it's relevant but this is the closest thing to a feasible idea I've seen yet.
How did you get your paws on an Orion tablet?

clean hairy

With so may centers being short on trucks as it is, how do you take them out of service to retrofit, and how long will it take?
How many of the trucks are structurally sound enough to support the extra weight of the roof, etc?
How will it get a signature for an iphone requiring a signature?
It drops an 8lb box on the sidewalk, then a storm hits. UPS is liable for leaving it where the elements could damage it, I guess?
As it is getting low enough to make the drop, a dog comes running up and tries to attack it. The dog suffers serious injury, but the dog damaged the precious UPS Drone.
Children playing in the house see this thing coming from the sky and go out to grab the "toy". They are seriously injured. Lawsuit against UPS?
Delivering to a very remote location in the woods, the guy who has no trespassing signs all over the place, and this drone starts towards his property. He grabs his shotgun and blows it smithereens. Who from UPS is going to go on his property to try and make him pay for the drone?
Wonder if the folks at big shot central have given thought to these scenarios.

underworked1

I have
I am a skilled tradesmen as well aka ex-certified mechanic. Upstate u have no clue about anything engineering or mechanic related

This stuff is all doable as we speak. A little more maitnance will be required but it's doable

FYI these drones have sensors all over, they won't hit anything.

Keep saying it won't happen guys.
I have a family member who worked tech in Silicon Valley. They all know that due to automation and drones that just about everyone will be without jobs in the near future. They actually have seminars on the ethics of it and the outcomes of massive unemployment. Feeders will surely be unemployed in 5 years max

Johney

It already meets back up with the truck correct?

Not programming it is simple. Put the needed info on the label on the box and put a scanner on the drone.

Keyless and push start are two of the best things since BrownJake.

All of this will be pre programmed with an Orion type system. While at a stop, Orion will instruct the driver which package to load into the drone. The drone will leave and meet the driver later.

They can also setup a charging system to recharge the drone while in the drone dock on top of the truck

From how it appears this type of system can be retro fitted.
And a rainy day will not cause any issues either.

1BROWNWRENCH

Amatuer Malthusian
I have
I have a family member who worked tech in Silicon Valley. They all know that due to automation and drones that just about everyone will be without jobs in the near future. They actually have seminars on the ethics of it and the outcomes of massive unemployment. Feeders will surely be unemployed in 5 years max
Us overpaid Grease Monkeys will still be employed.:raspberry-tounge:

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member

Riiiightttt.

We are suppose to Stop Complete the Diad at the point we DR the package.
UPS would use those coordinates overlaying the Google Map.
This tech is still a long way from practicality.