E-Star* Update!

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I usually don't get touchy feely but I'm going to now. All couriers have felt this "thing" from customers and management where we don't ever even get seen until there's a problem. No one gives a rip about us until it comes time to blame us, then it's *all* upon us. Maybe e star is the best thing that's ever happened to couriers, now we can really not be seen and not care and we can be given the release that we all wanted. None of us wanted this kind of responsibility, but it's been thrown on us until it's inconvenient. Plot twist it's now going to be as inconvenient to the company as it is to us.
If you're a courier, what's "this kind of responsibility" that's been thrown on you? Making service?

Guitarman01

I don't know what the break even point is for it to be effective. Results are decent in some areas and horrible in others. Time will tell.
I think gas prices will tell more then anything, it could change how express does business entirely. You already have multiple drivers dipping into the same area with estar, theres no way that can be more efficient.
Lets also not forget Express is a global company, there are alot of countries right now paying a hell of alot more for gas then the US.
How about 8.38 per gallon in the uk alone?

59 Dano

So, voluntary information from non-employees who aren't paid for trying to make the software work better. Got it.
Well, most of it was data from the smartphones of the people who were using the software and had an interest in helping to improve it, but in this case, it's FedEx employees who ARE paid for trying to make the software work better.

It will be fine

I can't answer for Ground engineers or anyone else who works for Ground. Express is concerned with onroad hours instead of miles, though miles translate into hours, so there's that. Part of it aims to balance some routes based on volume, staffing, and so forth. For instance, Route 1 has 6 hours of work (instead of 8) one day and Route 2 has 9.5 hours of work (instead of 8), so Route 1 may get some of Route 2's work. That's a gross oversimplification but that's part of what it seeks to do.

I don't know what the break even point is for it to be effective. Results are decent in some areas and horrible in others. Time will tell.
The flaw of that type of logic is the 2 hours of work the system tries to move turns in to 3 because the driver that now has it is running blind. The original driver would have been more efficient and saved hours. Engineers refuse to believe that even when presented with evidence. They seem to believe every stop is a residential easy front door driver release and every driver works at the exact same pace, which is obviously not the case.

dezguy

"I drove 18 minutes today to deliver one envelope 3 towns away. And it was assigned to me by estar."

Sounds like a good time to listen to a podcast and enjoy the ride. This is how I choose to rebel against stupidity, allow it to happen and calculate the best outcome for myself. Very Machiavellian. It's amazing how little has changed in 600+ years other than being the "prince" or ruled by "the prince."
This guy gets it. Let them drown in their own stupidity.

They get me for 8 hours. After that, whatever isn't done gets brought back to the station and I go home with a clear conscience.

59 Dano

I think gas prices will tell more then anything, it could change how express does business entirely. You already have multiple drivers dipping into the same area with estar, theres no way that can be more efficient.
If I look at a couple of routes that have run with Estar, it looks goofy to me. One guy is going into an area, another guy is going into a different part of that same area, and it gives me a headache.

Now, if I look at an entire station and an apples to apples comparison from pre-Estar to Estar (about the same number of stops and packages for that day or week) and see that the total number of onroad hours went down while making service goals, it still gives me a headache but I can see a real, tangible benefit. Whether it accomplishes its goals or not has nothing to do with looking at individual routes and seeing if it made them "better" or "worse," but with whether or not it's reducing hours without sacrificing service. In some places, it's not even close. In others, it's doing ok. We'll see.

Guitarman01

If I look at a couple of routes that have run with Estar, it looks goofy to me. One guy is going into an area, another guy is going into a different part of that same area, and it gives me a headache.
Yes, I realized that right off the bat. You can only judge estar on a whole, not the individual route. So yes I would assume you would have to look at multiple stats pre and post estar to be able to judge if it is a benefit or loss to the company.
At this moment with the economy, I think gas prices will be a major determining factor of its efficiency that might even Trump p1 service. Meaning gas prices are so high right now, could they be taking a loss running p1 service in certain circumstances, especially with rural routes?
Ups Orion was built to try to save on gas, Estar really wasnt was it?

59 Dano

Yes, I realized that right off the bat. You can only judge estar on a whole, not the individual route. So yes I would assume you would have to look at multiple stats pre and post estar to be able to judge if it is a benefit or loss to the company.
At this moment with the economy, I think gas prices will be a major determining factor of its efficiency that might even Trump p1 service. Meaning gas prices are so high right now, could they be taking a loss running p1 service in certain circumstances, especially with rural routes?
Ups Orion was built to try to save on gas, Estar really wasnt was it?
There will always be stops that are money losers. It's possible that there's a bigger risk now due to fuel prices, but they have a fuel surcharge that they adjust weekly so I'd guess that it's not that big of a deal.

59 Dano

Just for the record, in case anyone didn't realize I was referring to @59 Dano. He talks a big game about courier pay and courier experience being worth little to nothing yet he's not about to give up his pay as a previous manager while being a lowly courier on a retirement route.
Huge if true.

You hook me up with an easy retirement route with manager pay (how do you get manager pay as a courier????) and I'll be your best, and probably only, friend.

MAKAVELI

Banned
Well, most of it was data from the smartphones of the people who were using the software and had an interest in helping to improve it, but in this case, it's FedEx employees who ARE paid for trying to make the software work better.
Sorry bruh, not in my job description. You have engineers, IT, and management for that task.

Last edited:
I love this! "I'm educated on algorithms, so I say it's not possible for mapping software to work. If you don't believe me, look at my user name that I created today."
I can go on and on about how the travelling salesman problem is modelled the difficulty of the problem, and the approximations to an ideal solution. The question is could you understand it? Show me some of your algorithm design knowledge.

I worked as a courier for Fedex while I was in school. Your stupidity inspired me to make an account just to call you an assclown.

shartpost

You don't sound like you have any issues.

Our station management bumbles around at times but they're not stupid enough to switch over to pee stain in the heavy on call area we cover. It will never work at all considering that everybody would be an unpaid swing driver going in blind every day. And nobody on the corporate ladder has the incentive to update stop notes or the software itself. You're almost as bad as MassWhineGuy but slightly more entertaining.

Mutineer

I was referring to @59 Dano. He talks a big game about courier pay and courier experience being worth little to nothing

I agree with Dano on that subject.

Though not quite in the realm of minimum wage, modern electronic technology (compared to the days of The Thomas Guide) has overall made "courier experience" alot less valuable than it used to be.

I think the problem facing much of the delivery industry is that although the job has been significantly dumbed-down, if a company wants to keep a good reputation, it still requires people who are motivated, reliable, reasonably intelligent, and trustworthy.

And without gawdamm tattoos on their necks, babymama drama, and court dates to appear for!

When people are treated like crap, eventually the end result is crap. Every time.

59 Dano

Our station management bumbles around at times but they're not stupid enough to switch over to pee stain in the heavy on call area we cover. It will never work at all considering that everybody would be an unpaid swing driver going in blind every day. And nobody on the corporate ladder has the incentive to update stop notes or the software itself. You're almost as bad as MassWhineGuy but slightly more entertaining.
I aim to please.

59 Dano

I agree with Dano on that subject.
Only problem is that that’s not what I said. I believe the claims made here about experience are grossly overstated. It doesn’t take long to figure out who will or won’t cut it as a courier and it’s not a hard job.

You have to keep in mind that the guy also sent me a PM claiming to have doxxed me and threatening to out my ID on the board. Then he called me by 2 different names, neither of which is mine, after accusing me of creating a hostile work environment. Sounds like he’s really got it together upstairs!

Mutineer

Only problem is that that’s not what I said. I believe the claims made here about experience are grossly overstated. It doesn’t take long to figure out who will or won’t cut it as a courier and it’s not a hard job.
Whatever the case is, or what you did or didn't say, it is obvious to everyone that you think very little of couriers.

And that's OK with me. I enjoy various points of view whether I agree with them or not.

I happen to think very little of desk-office-cubicle people. Which is what I believe you are.
You have to keep in mind that the guy also sent me a PM claiming to have doxxed me and threatening to out my ID on the board. Then he called me by 2 different names, neither of which is mine, after accusing me of creating a hostile work environment. Sounds like he’s really got it together upstairs!
There are many on this forum who very much dislike you.
If the anger and dislike you inspire in others bothers you, try being more sensitive to their feelings. Get a puppy, resist the urge to strangle it, and pet it. See how much it likes you? Maybe if something shows it likes you, the experience will inspire you to better yourself and seek likewise from human-beings.

But I think you enjoy being disliked.
So forget the whole "puppy" thing.

Last edited: