Express going "independent" ...and to current events

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
You don't think my guys are currently aware of delivery time requirements? Plenty of receiving areas close at noon or 15:30. A couple P1 stops wouldn't make much of a difference.
Typical route has 30 P1. Run route from one end to the other. Then repeat with the SO commit, try to mix in your Businesses. Then repeat with Resi's. Then try to get all your PUP's on time while fighting 5:00 traffic. Yeah, I can see you know what you're talking about.

It will be fine

Typical route has 30 P1. Run route from one end to the other. Then repeat with the SO commit, try to mix in your Businesses. Then repeat with Resi's. Then try to get all your PUP's on time while fighting 5:00 traffic. Yeah, I can see you know what you're talking about.
It would intermingle with my current routes. So that 30 P1 would be about 7 in an area 1/4 the size of the current express route. Doesn't sound that daunting to me.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It would intermingle with my current routes. So that 30 P1 would be about 7 in an area 1/4 the size of the current express route. Doesn't sound that daunting to me.

Let me give you a brief glimpse in to my daily routine:

We start at 9 on Mondays and 9:45 the rest of the week.

I average 6-8 air stops per day. Depending upon where they are I try to deliver their ground at the same time.

My first ground stop is Walmart. 4 bays, 2 of which are usually filled with their empty trailers. That means every vendor is fighting over 2 bays. The beer and milk guys usually tie one of those up for at least an hour so essentially we are fighting over one bay. Lately I have been lucky and have gotten right on to a door but if I can't I dump their air and go back for their ground after running off the rest of my air.

I deliver to our local college, which closes from noon to 1 everyday. They hate it when I can't make it there before noon.

I have three schools on my area, none of which want me anywhere near them between 1415-1445.

I have 28 pickups-----several are pickup and deliver at the same time while the others are pickups which start after 1430.

I have to close out the UPS Store by 1800 (1830 during Peak).

Throw in an increased focus on stops per car and you can see it is a busy day.

Straightlining would shave at least 30 minutes off of my day everyday.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Talked to a friend of mine who has 15 Ground trucks . Had to paint a couple . Instead of the green and black , had to paint them the blue and orange like Express. The manager finally told him the company was going to do away with Express and the entire company was going to be "independent" drivers . Can't be called "contract" drivers since the lawsuit .

If it's discussed here before the company makes any kind of statement about it, it's false.

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
There are plenty of Ground contracted oblivious to operations. Especially the Express operations.
No doubt . But , I do not doubt my friends competence or mental ability .
It's difficult to understand a company bearing the same name , doing the same thing , with completely different operational methods to do it.
How does that saying go ? A company divided cannot stand ?

bbsam

Staff member
Might be hard to get those p1200 drivers to hit multiple commit times..
830/1030/1430/2000
My most recent overlap with HD will be comprised of approximately 60 Ground stops and 110 HD stops. My guess would be 1.5 drivers to handle it all. I would welcome the Express just to fill out the second driver's day. As is, we'll find work from other Ground areas near it.

bacha29

People look, with the exception of a national emergency resulting in a presidential executive order a complete merger or consolidation of the fedex opco's simply will not happen anytime in the foreseeable future. So just forget about it and move on.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
My guess is they would combine the opcos and try to operate as efficient as UPS.

Won't happen until Hell freezes over. Making Ground drivers employees of FedEx would ruin the margins, combined opcos or not. On-road operations cost Ground practically nothing because the vehicle and personnel expenses and liabilities are borne by third parties.

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Only on BC do I post D*pics
104466932-PE_Color.240x240.jpg

bbsam

Staff member
People look, with the exception of a national emergency resulting in a presidential executive order a complete merger or consolidation of the fedex opco's simply will not happen anytime in the foreseeable future. So just forget about it and move on.
Unless a certain president does away with certain regulations like RLA.

SmithBarney

Add 0800/1000/1100/1400/1500 and mix in pups with possible 1 hour windows and it would be a little more difficult to have the min wage drivers make the effort.
Bingo, this is more correct than my answer... getting employees who care is key... granted I think I've said it before, maybe they'll offer express rtes directly to contractors with not much difference in operations... now back to work these overtime Saturday packages aren't going to deliver themselves on time.

It will be fine

Let me give you a brief glimpse in to my daily routine:

We start at 9 on Mondays and 9:45 the rest of the week.

I average 6-8 air stops per day. Depending upon where they are I try to deliver their ground at the same time.

My first ground stop is Walmart. 4 bays, 2 of which are usually filled with their empty trailers. That means every vendor is fighting over 2 bays. The beer and milk guys usually tie one of those up for at least an hour so essentially we are fighting over one bay. Lately I have been lucky and have gotten right on to a door but if I can't I dump their air and go back for their ground after running off the rest of my air.

I deliver to our local college, which closes from noon to 1 everyday. They hate it when I can't make it there before noon.

I have three schools on my area, none of which want me anywhere near them between 1415-1445.

I have 28 pickups-----several are pickup and deliver at the same time while the others are pickups which start after 1430.

I have to close out the UPS Store by 1800 (1830 during Peak).

Throw in an increased focus on stops per car and you can see it is a busy day.

Straightlining would shave at least 30 minutes off of my day everyday.
The only difference between your long breakdown of your day and my guy's typical day is the 6-8 air stops.