FedEx contractor revolt?

bbsam

Staff member
The concept of an collective contractor push for immediate rate relief is absurd and not going to happen The reason being is that in order to do so you have to have three components....Money.....Organization....Endurance.....Especially the last two. And you don't have them.
The only reason that FedEx would give relief is to stabilize the model.

That’s not a push by a collective. That’s been asked for in company organized round tables and forums. None of this is new.

yadig

Nope. Not failing to see that at all. In fact, I don’t care if contractors succeed or fail. Continuing on at FedEx isn’t the definition of success.

And perhaps you can help me out here. Why do you and bacha think this is some kind of threat? It’s simply the condition of the model.

And I’m sorry, but a revolving door of contractors is not at all the same as a revolving door of drivers. The Midwest is ripe with contractor turnover and it causes huge problems.
I don’t think it’s a threat at all and it seems contractors have a legitimate beef. I just know how FedEx works. I sure hope the best for everyone involved contractors and there employees. Why haven’t we heard from any employees on here?

zeev

Employees will be left holding the bag m the contractors are in the unique situation of yielding power against FedEx remember their drivers work for them already drivers are complaining about contractors with 20 to 25 employees and trucks disappearing. Employees are holding their privates hoping for a step raise that usually never comes.

MAKAVELI

Banned
Employees will be left holding the bag m the contractors are in the unique situation of yielding power against FedEx remember their drivers work for them already drivers are complaining about contractors with 20 to 25 employees and trucks disappearing. Employees are holding their privates hoping for a step raise that usually never comes.
I think Network 2.0 is the biggest factor for both Express and Ground. FedEx has no choice but to try to appease both to keep both onboard for their plan.

bbsam

Staff member
The concept of an collective contractor push for immediate rate relief is absurd and not going to happen The reason being is that in order to do so you have to have three components....Money.....Organization....Endurance.....Especially the last two. And you don't have them.
1659553841854.png

It seems as though Spencer may not be the wilting flower you thought he was.

bacha29

So what's your point? Fat Freddy and Sahib Raj have already made it clear that it will NOT negotiate with any collective bargaining entity . At the present time they don't have to. The only possibility of it happening is if TALP (lol) sues in court seeking collective representation rights forcing Fat Freddy to recognize TALP as a trade up with collective bargaining rights. About the only way yo acquire collective bargaining rights would be to become a trade union And that's if they get extremely lucky and win. Oh, and by the way if they lose....they'll likely have to pay court costs and Fat Freddy's expenses as well.

In fact TALP would still have to gain the right to hold a vote among contractors seeking to become their bargaining agent. Acquiring said right will takes years and years and you don't know if they'll even gain a majority. In addition who's going to pay for all of this? Litigation expenses, election expenses will run into the millions, possibly tens of millions.

Fat Freddy will simply run out the clock and Spencer Patton out of money. That's assuming that he chooses not to take the easy way out and simply allow Patton's contract to expire.

bbsam

Staff member
So what's your point? Fat Freddy and Sahib Raj have already made it clear that it will NOT negotiate with any collective bargaining entity . At the present time they don't have to. The only possibility of it happening is if TALP (lol) sues in court seeking collective representation rights forcing Fat Freddy to recognize TALP as a trade up with collective bargaining rights. About the only way yo acquire collective bargaining rights would be to become a trade union And that's if they get extremely lucky and win. Oh, and by the way if they lose....they'll likely have to pay court costs and Fat Freddy's expenses as well.

In fact TALP would still have to gain the right to hold a vote among contractors seeking to become their bargaining agent. Acquiring said right will takes years and years and you don't know if they'll even gain a majority. In addition who's going to pay for all of this? Litigation expenses, election expenses will run into the millions, possibly tens of millions.

Fat Freddy will simply run out the clock and Spencer Patton out of money. That's assuming that he chooses not to take the easy way out and simply allow Patton's contract to expire.
Oh. I just thought that you had said something about Spencer going silent and that the Raj had killed the whole thing off.

If it’s as bad as Spencer says it is (it is), how many others doe you think will stay home on Black Friday? How many contracts will Raj let expire? Seems like he’s just taking giant steps backwards from where he wants to go.

bacha29

Oh. I just thought that you had said something about Spencer going silent and that the Raj had killed the whole thing off.

If it’s as bad as Spencer says it is (it is), how many others doe you think will stay home on Black Friday? How many contracts will Raj let expire? Seems like he’s just taking giant steps backwards from where he wants to go.
Paton's vision of the kind of rights and autonomy he wants all contractors to have with Fat Freddy will require many years and millions of dollars to accomplish. The only way that could speed up the process and get Patton the deal he wants would be a shareholder revolt that takes board control away from Fat Freddy and I simply don't see anyone among the largest shareholders with the backbone to take on Fat Freddy.

bbsam

Staff member
Paton's vision of the kind of rights and autonomy he wants all contractors to have with Fat Freddy will require many years and millions of dollars to accomplish. The only way that could speed up the process and get Patton the deal he wants would be a shareholder revolt that takes board control away from Fat Freddy and I simply don't see anyone among the largest shareholders with the backbone to take on Fat Freddy.
It’s August 3 today. Black Friday isn’t too far in the distance. What do Walmart executives think? Chewy? Grainger? Medline? Do they believe Raj when they are told everything is fine with the network going into peak? Would you believe Raj?

When those executives lose faith, how do stockholders maintain their confidence?

zeev

Contractors would not have to organize anything they just negotiate separately but think collectively, the contractors hold the economic power as they are in he biggest asset in the system. It would be history making for contractors to force a major Corp to the bargaining table but It could be done. Contractors unlike other vendors can force pressure on the system, in a franchise system one or many small players can be forced out without effecting the network not so in Ground now is the time strike while the iron is hot.

bacha29

It’s August 3 today. Black Friday isn’t too far in the distance. What do Walmart executives think? Chewy? Grainger? Medline? Do they believe Raj when they are told everything is fine with the network going into peak? Would you believe Raj?

When those executives lose faith, how do stockholders maintain their confidence?
A one day contractor revolt? (lmao) You need a ONE YEAR contractor revolt. Yes you guys might dust things up for a day or two . But, that will be about it. Operations will be back to an acceptable level of normal in less than a week. Fat Freddy knows that you lack numbers, money, resolve and staying power. He can wait you out for however long it takes and that won't be long and if Johnny Dollar Sign sees a score he needs to settle Fat Freddy won't hesitate to turn him loose on you guys.

bacha29

Contractors would not have to organize anything they just negotiate separately but think collectively, the contractors hold the economic power as they are in he biggest asset in the system. It would be history making for contractors to force a major Corp to the bargaining table but It could be done. Contractors unlike other vendors can force pressure on the system, in a franchise system one or many small players can be forced out without effecting the network not so in Ground now is the time strike while the iron is hot.
It's all a question of who can hold out the longest and we know who that will be . And since Patton has made it clear that a trade union is NOT what he is seeking. Therefore, there will be no help coming from the AFL-CIO.

bbsam

Staff member
A one day contractor revolt? (lmao) You need a ONE YEAR contractor revolt. Yes you guys might dust things up for a day or two . But, that will be about it. Operations will be back to an acceptable level of normal in less than a week. Fat Freddy knows that you lack numbers, money, resolve and staying power. He can wait you out for however long it takes and that won't be long and if Johnny Dollar Sign sees a score he needs to settle Fat Freddy won't hesitate to turn him loose on you guys.
Operations already are at an unacceptable level. And think like a Walmart executive for a minute. Maybe it’s only Black Friday. Maybe the entire weekend. How jammed does the network get for the entire month at that point? Even if only 20% of the network is affected. And this is a network that struggles to find employees to begin with.

So Mr. bacha Walmart exec, what are you thoughts? Maybe wanna move some of that freight another way? It’s August 3. Not a lot of time.

Ok. Now your Raj. How much money will you be losing when Walmart, Target, Chewy, and others start finding “more reliable” options? Can your brand prosper with the disaster everyone told you was coming and you ignored?

Do you really think this is over?

bbsam

Staff member
There was mention of suing in order to have contractors recognized as franchisees. Not sure what the differences would be, but my inclination is that it’s all about legal avenues and/or representation.

zeev

Trade unions are for employees, contractors are not employees it’s more like I need a new roof I call 100 roofers and offer a ridiculously low price and I never get a return call. Nowadays you offer a high price and you still never hear from them.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
Trade unions are for employees, contractors are not employees it’s more like I need a new roof I call 100 roofers and offer a ridiculously low price and I never get a return call. Nowadays you offer a high price and you still never hear from them.
Trade unions are typically about a profession, like carpenters or electricians and such. You can be in one and not be employed, you just need to be certified. I don’t see how that would apply to FedEx contractors.

M I Indy

Good luck to you Sam, IWBF and all the others stuck in this mess. 10 years ago you two trashed me on here with nonsense that I was weak and didn't have the business sense to run my operation, yadda yadda yadda. Now you are in the cross hairs of having no control of your so called business. Bacha for the most part is clueless, but, he is right that this is about control. I won't go on and on about the same arguments that have been going on here forever. It seems your ambASSador status has run its course. You mentioned about being franchisees, what is your stand alone address? Your front man Patton is being used by legal eagles to do the dirty work, helping them establish billable hours and such to line their pockets. All that is happening now was brought to the table before the settlement years ago. One state held out in the end because they knew what would be coming. Lawyers of course strong armed the settlement. They are the ones behind Patton. If you go to Vegas, my guess is there will be a paper for you to fill out about "good faith" representation. If it's Bad Breath Beth or someone else from Leonard Carder LLP walk away. If from some other firm be wary. But, there will be a legal rep there rest assured. I saw an article on this a few days ago which is why I am chiming in. I had more than one bite at the apple in my time, took the settlement monies (begrudgingly) knowing I couldn't push the legal team to do the right thing. I invested every dime and haven't looked back. Good luck to you all, but remember if Ex has to pay more for service..... they will. It just won't be to you. That would give you control, something they will never allow.

zeev

Trade unions are typically about a profession, like carpenters or electricians and such. You can be in one and not be employed, you just need to be certified. I don’t see how that would apply to FedEx contractors.
I meant labor unions, trade unions set the going rate like lawyers and doctors have associations that set prevailing rates.