FedEx contractor revolt?

Mutineer

If contractors on the east and west coasts (liberal leaning😀) the jams wouldn’t take long to incapacitate the system.

LMAO! Do you truly believe that liberals living in liberal areas don't like things like dividends, paychecks, and junk in boxes hauled to their doorsteps?

They'll be madder than hornets.

bacha29

I’d like to know what those “serious consequences” are. I didn’t get that memo. You didn’t either, did you?

What do you think it would take for service disruptions at peak? Nothing going into Chicago for a couple days? West coast line haul taking a long Thanksgiving weekend? Probably exacerbate the situation with weather issues.

Gotta remember that 30% of contractors are line haul. What percentage of those operations service the largest populations?
Did you receive and read the memo regarding "breach of contract? Furthermore trusting line haul is like putting the fox in charge of guarding the henhouse. They are also a very disorganized here today gone tomorrow operation because any road worthy tractor and qualified driver can hook onto any one of many alternative operations . And FDX can call up anyone of many common carriers to pull their trailers.

Now if the common carrier refuses to do it for what FDX is offering.....now that's another story altogether. JDS might not be accustomed to somebody else being the price maker it was always the other way around with him being the price maker and the contractor the price taker but he'll have to get used to it.

Mutineer

because any road worthy tractor and qualified driver can hook onto any one of many alternative operations . And FDX can call up anyone of many common carriers to pull their trailers.
That is a very good point. On the surface, that problem seems very easily solved. For awhile.

It's no secret that the P&D aspect of delivering all those boxes to all those homes and businesses is by far the most costly, time consuming, and difficult aspect.

Which is why I believe the real power in making Freddy holler uncle is with a massive failure in P&D.

bbsam

Staff member
That is a very good point. On the surface, that problem seems very easily solved. For awhile.

It's no secret that the P&D aspect of delivering all those boxes to all those homes and businesses is by far the most costly, time consuming, and difficult aspect.

Which is why I believe the real power in making Freddy holler uncle is with a massive failure in P&D.
It’s a good point if FedEx wants to pay millions to save thousands. Again. And again. And again.

Mutineer

It’s a good point if FedEx wants to pay millions to save thousands. Again. And again. And again.
FedEx proves every day that is no deterrent.

The point is that linehaul contractor failure would be comparatively EASY to solve.

Massive P&D failure would NOT be easy to solve.

Imagine every XG terminal filled with temp agency stooges and U-hauls. Now imagine yourself watching this event from a lawn chair and with a big bucket of popcorn.

It would be a disaster that compounds itself by multiples every hour.

bbsam

Staff member
FedEx proves every day that is no deterrent.

The point is that linehaul contractor failure would be comparatively EASY to solve.

Massive P&D failure would NOT be easy to solve.

Imagine every XG terminal filled with temp agency stooges and U-hauls. Now imagine yourself watching this event from a lawn chair and with a big bucket of popcorn.

It would be a disaster that compounds itself by multiples every hour.
Agreed. I just think massive line haul failure will be compounded at P&D as FedEx tries to cram operations trying to catch up.

El Morado Diablo

"If Fedex Ground understood how to tap into the energy of their entrepreneurs, and understood how to motivate us in the right way, and to align with us we would blow the doors off of any competitor out there." -- Spencer Patton

Any longtime FedEx Express employee could tell Spencer that FedEx Corp has never had a clue how to motivate the majority of it's employees. They only utilize two motivational techniques: the stick-and-carrot or threats.

bbsam

Staff member
"If Fedex Ground understood how to tap into the energy of their entrepreneurs, and understood how to motivate us in the right way, and to align with us we would blow the doors off of any competitor out there." -- Spencer Patton

Any longtime FedEx Express employee could tell Spencer that FedEx Corp has never had a clue how to motivate the majority of it's employees. They only utilize two motivational techniques: the stick-and-carrot or threats.
Correct. And Patton understands how to do both.

Mutineer

That motivation technique is not unique to FedEx. If anything, that's how it is most anywhere.

Also, I am unable to understand what valuable insight or experience XE employees would be able to contribute to the subject of a FedEx contractor revolt.

If XE employees walked, FedEx only has to come up with replacement people with a valid driver's license, of minimal education and with no prior occupational experience.

If too much of that happened in too short of an amount of time, that alone would be difficult to overcome.

If XG contractors walked, FedEx has to come up with the same kinds of stooges, AND replacement equipment that is supposedly in very limited supply.

Correct. And Patton understands how to do both.
He says he knows how to treat and motivate people. But does he practice what he preaches?

It's crossed my mind as to what Spencer's employees think of Spencer.

bacha29

It's sad to see how Patton is so totally devoid of bargaining leverage that he's been reduced to your common everyday motivational speaker. Long on platitudes....short on specifics. If you didn't know what was going on you would think he was talking to a gathering of FDX managers and salesman.

Mutineer

It's sad to see how Patton is so totally devoid of bargaining leverage that he's been reduced to your common everyday motivational speaker. Long on platitudes....short on specifics. If you didn't know what was going on you would think he was talking to a gathering of FDX managers and salesman.
Your criticism is not without potential merit. Maybe he is just a well-heeled huckster. Very many successful people are.

But the last thing FedEx wants is a motivational speaker that motivates It's contractors sufficiently to tell FedEx to stick it where the sun don't shine.

Patton could accomplish exactly that. And much more.

bacha29

Your criticism is not without potential merit. Maybe he is just a well-heeled huckster. Very many successful people are.

But the last thing FedEx wants is a motivational speaker that motivates It's contractors sufficiently to tell FedEx to stick it where the sun don't shine.

Patton could accomplish exactly that. And much more.
He's just a carnival barker. All he got from his audience was the standard "yeah, we've heard it all before" polite applause. But, in the end he'll do what he's told by FDX and so will everyone else in that audience.

El Morado Diablo

Also, I am unable to understand what valuable insight or experience XE employees would be able to contribute to the subject of a FedEx contractor revolt.

The point I'm making is that it's laughable for contractors to look to FedEx to motivate them in any way, shape or form.

I honestly don't care what the contractors choose to do to resolve their problems with FedEx.