FedEx contractor revolt?

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
For years FedEx Ground has used bullying tactics when interacting with their contractors to create an environment of intimidation. This move to cancel our contracts is a clear case of a $60 billion corporation silencing anyone with a voice.
Additionally, the interest from the general public and financial analysts has energized me to continue speaking truth.
This is hilarious. "They've always been a bunch of bullies, but I made a nice chunk of money telling people what a great idea it is to invest in them!"

I don't know this guy from Adam, but anyone who says that he's going to forge ahead with the truth "for the people" (LOL) after he's gotten his rear end handed to him is blowing smoke.

bbsam

Staff member
This is hilarious. "They've always been a bunch of bullies, but I made a nice chunk of money telling people what a great idea it is to invest in them!"

I don't know this guy from Adam, but anyone who says that he's going to forge ahead with the truth "for the people" (LOL) after he's gotten his rear end handed to him is blowing smoke.
You should look more into him before you make that assumption.

He’s the kind of guy who know where every dime come in and goes out.

FedEx taking 20 contracts from him that were losing money…and you say he got his ass handed to him? I think that’s being lost in the emotion. I think Patton has already moved on and his consulting work is a far more profitable angle.

59 Dano

That would be the quickest call to the ethics line I would make if I discovered that they were doing that to that many packages.
Agreed, and LOL at the claim that they were "overriding" DEX01 codes after they were already placed and that the director and above think they are looking good with thousands of daily DEX08's. That many DEX08's would throw up red flags at the regional level and the director who allowed it would be instant toast. This sounds like one of MF's tall tales.

It will be fine

They have always been a bunch of bullies and we all have made money. The problem is in the current market we aren’t making the money. It’s easy to handle the bullying if you’re making bank, not really worth the hassle when the money dries up.

59 Dano

You should look more into him before you make that assumption.

He’s the kind of guy who know where every dime come in and goes out.
I'm sure he does.
FedEx taking 20 contracts from him that were losing money…and you say he got his ass handed to him? I think that’s being lost in the emotion. I think Patton has already moved on and his consulting work is a far more profitable angle.
I don't say he got his ass handed to him. I'm saying, from having witnessed that exact type of response dozens of times coming from big guys and little guys alike ---- he's saying he got his ass handed to him. Maybe we read different press releases, because he's clearly reeling in the one I read.

Mutineer

Patton had the balls to swat the tiger and as a result lost a bunch of unprofitable contracts. I respect that.

But those are dubious qualifications to consult anybody about anything in this industry except as an example for everybody to make a wide berth around anything to do with FedEx.

MAKAVELI

I'm sure he does.

I don't say he got his ass handed to him. I'm saying, from having witnessed that exact type of response dozens of times coming from big guys and little guys alike ---- he's saying he got his ass handed to him. Maybe we read different press releases, because he's clearly reeling in the one I read.
We are all expendable, including management and the board. Right now, those two feel invincible.

They have always been a bunch of bullies and we all have made money. The problem is in the current market we aren’t making the money. It’s easy to handle the bullying if you’re making bank, not really worth the hassle when the money dries up.
personal opinion but I feel like "bully" wouldn't have been the correct term years ago probably not till 2019-2020ish anyway. A pain in the ass absolutely but not quite bully. It feels like the moment their margins started to drop due to ecommerce transition that they started to wring the necks of their contractors. i would be lying if I said 2015-2019 were not good years with all things considered.

59 Dano

Patton had the balls to swat the tiger and as a result lost a bunch of unprofitable contracts. I respect that.
He sure is making a big stink about having someone make an immediate improvement to his bottom line.

I mean, if someone did me the favor of taking a major money losing obligation off my hands, I don't think I'd issue a press release crying about how the big mean company screwed me by doing so.

bbsam

Staff member

But those are dubious qualifications to consult anybody about anything in this industry except as an example for everybody to make a wide berth around anything to do with FedEx.
His qualifications go deeper than that. Understanding FedEx process, OTCs, LOAs, RFIs, stand up, scaling for peak, analytics, route sales, financing, valuation, are things Payton probably has extensive experience with through the years.

And none of those even touches day to day operations knowledge. Kind of more to the guy than swatting at the monster.

bbsam

Staff member
He sure is making a big stink about having someone make an immediate improvement to his bottom line.

I mean, if someone did me the favor of taking a major money losing obligation off my hands, I don't think I'd issue a press release crying about how the big mean company screwed me by doing so.
Lol. You read that as crying? I doubt it. I don’t think Patton has ever had to worry about money. What is it that people strive for once money is boring?

It will be fine

personal opinion but I feel like "bully" wouldn't have been the correct term years ago probably not till 2019-2020ish anyway. A pain in the ass absolutely but not quite bully. It feels like the moment their margins started to drop due to ecommerce transition that they started to wring the necks of their contractors. i would be lying if I said 2015-2019 were not good years with all things considered.
In my tenure, managers that didn’t use threats as their first move have been few and far between. The open hostility from corporate is a newer issue, I’ll give you that.

I know some markets that asked the ramp to retain the RESPONSE freight so it wouldn't hit the station as WDL. Falsifying that or the AM deliveries covers up issues and delays getting help. 1000-2000 DEX01 will get a lot of attention and it might be uncomfortable. At the same time it makes a case for pay improvements and possibly eliminating RESPONSE.
It happens daily so nobody cares enough to look or it’s allowed to be covered up. I’m sure it’s going on at a lot of other stations also.

Agreed, and LOL at the claim that they were "overriding" DEX01 codes after they were already placed and that the director and above think they are looking good with thousands of daily DEX08's. That many DEX08's would throw up red flags at the regional level and the director who allowed it would be instant toast. This sounds like one of MF's tall tales.
Dude I’m there everyday. We just a huge lack of drivers and new managers doing everything they can to cover their butts. I have zero reason to lie. I’ve been with Express 35 years and seen this act play out repeatedly during those years. We are down 40 plus drivers and all managers have been replaced. Sr Mgr was forced out 9 months ago the 8 ops managers we have 6 were either got fired, or quit in the last 60 days. The new Sr and several replacement ops manager came in doing the same crap with dex 01’s. Red flags or not it’s happening daily.

Mutineer

Lol. You read that as crying? I doubt it. I don’t think Patton has ever had to worry about money. What is it that people strive for once money is boring?
Fame? Redemption?

That's for narcissists, and self-flagellating hypocrites.

Money can buy fast, fun cars and hotel rooms full of hookers.

I would very much like to discover how that can get boring.

Mutineer

Look at politics.
Yes. I have observed politics.

The rate and frequency at which that subject disturbs me has increased alot lately.

Much like you at FedEx. With wide eyes observing yer livelihood being manipulated and changed by people who are proving themselves as capricious, clueless buffoons on a daily basis.

You?

bbsam

Staff member
Yes. I have observed politics.

The rate and frequency at which that subject disturbs me has increased alot lately.

Much like you at FedEx. With wide eyes observing yer livelihood being manipulated and changed by people who are proving themselves as capricious, clueless buffoons on a daily basis.

You?
I think Patton is a blatantly cocky and driven individual. Narcissistic? Most likely. When money has become easy, even blasé, then power becomes the passion. Rich and famous is one thing. Powerful has its own itch that’s never satisfied with some.

That’s not to say I think he’ll go into politics but that wouldn’t surprise me either. I’d say he likely gets a rush playing a role in this real life corporate Game of Thrones.

He’s made no secret that his TALP organization has begun with FedEx contractors but his ambition is to move to Amazon contractors as well. To be honest, if Amazon were smart where Pittsburgh was foolish, they’d start picking up what Patton is
laying down and embrace a symbiotic relationship.

Bacha and others see this as a disastrous ending to a fledgling movement. I think that’s naive.

Last edited:

yadig

Hey dano do you see any problems with FedEx? Are we all just overreacting? I love the overtime I get in 5 days because we’re so short on rtd’s. I think you’re stuck on the federal express of the past! Please give us your honest opinion of express and ground of the future.