FedEx contractor revolt?

I still don't understand why you guys just don't show up to work, en masse.

I actually do for the short term, I simply think if you did the short term would be shorter than you think.
by and large FedEx has setup a situation in which 95% of contractors couldn't bankroll something like this and we can't pay our drivers enough to make sure they would be able to take a week off of work without pay or reduced pay for something like this. there is also a hostile relation FedEx has tried to foster between contractors who are supposedly multi-millionaires and the drivers whose greedy contractors are just not paying them enough so they can buy another yacht. any type of movement doesn't have the mass for desired effect.

floridays

by and large FedEx has setup a situation in which 95% of contractors couldn't bankroll something like this and we can't pay our drivers enough to make sure they would be able to take a week off of work without pay or reduced pay for something like this. there is also a hostile relation FedEx has tried to foster between contractors who are supposedly multi-millionaires and the drivers whose greedy contractors are just not paying them enough so they can buy another yacht. any type of movement doesn't have the mass for desired effect.
I'm speaking with an illustration we all can understand.

You have to punch the bully in the nose and when you hit him hard enough to where he backs down or worries if it is worthwhile to continue an attack.

Nationwide, Fedex ground cannot stand a two day shutdown by it's contractors without doing irreparable damage to it's brand. They cannot offer the excuse that the shutdown or delay of service is an act of God. The day you walk shippers will look for a different alternative for their shipping needs. They will understand FedEx Ground is not a reliable shipper.

It's just my opinion, I may be wrong, but I doubt it.

If you don't dot the bully's nose he remains, always to his benefit, and when he wants to exercise it, he will.
If contractors prevail, don't be a bully to your employees.

That's just my point of view.

bacha29

Nope. Spencer is still going ahead with that. The kickbacks for running it are probably a nice revenue source for him.
It will be up to X to prove that Patton's actions were designed to line his pockets. If they can press home that and their other complaints it might cost him a buck or two.

One thing X does have that contractors collectively speaking do not have. Organization, money a chain of command and first and foremost while not in a complete and perfect form.... a plan of attack.

bbsam

Staff member
It will be up to X to prove that Patton's actions were designed to line his pockets. If they can press home that and their other complaints it might cost him a buck or two.

One thing X does have that contractors collectively speaking do not have. Organization, money a chain of command and first and foremost while not in a complete and perfect form.... a plan of attack.
No. X will hav to prove that Spencer was lying in order to line his pockets. That’s the problem with their organized plan of attack.

It’s not as if contractors were doing fine and Patton came along and convinced them they could do far better if they united behind him to strong arm FedEx. Contractors were struggling and failing long before TALP was first discussed.

And FedEx knew it. Everything Spencer said has been put in front of vice presidents of the company and BDS countless times. Every time the company response was to blame the contractor, make vague references to coming “improvements” and reward stockholders.

FedEx was invited to send representatives to Vegas. They declined. And there in Vegas, Patton gave the speech that John Smith should have given. Instead he and the company chose to continue to tell contractors to shut up or leave.

So they are beginning to leave.

But they aren’t shutting up.

It will be fine

They have to prove he was knowingly spreading false information. They don’t have a case for that.

bbsam

Staff member
1662131922618.png

instiches

So Patton, who damn sure knew he was risking his significant contract operation by waging a public campaign against FedEx, was spreading misinformation to benefit his consulting and brokerage business? He was going to sign up loads of additional new contractors to buy in while simultaneously ignoring the fact that he just had millions of dollars wiped out? He was going to entice new investors while parking his trucks on the first day of Peak? LOL, ok.

bbsam

Staff member
So Patton, who damn sure knew he was risking his significant contract operation by waging a public campaign against FedEx, was spreading misinformation to benefit his consulting and brokerage business? He was going to sign up loads of additional new contractors to buy in while simultaneously ignoring the fact that he just had millions of dollars wiped out? He was going to entice new investors while parking his trucks on the first day of Peak? LOL, ok.
What misinformation was he spreading? I’d really like to hear Fedex’s response to that question.

Still waiting to see what happens when investors force x to hand over data on contingencies and contractor failures for the last few years, as well as how much is being spent on contingency vs just upping contractor wages.

instiches

Their base allegations are in the complaint. We know FedEx has no real ground to stand on, but they are litigious bullies and they will drag this on and incur major legal bills, just to make an example of Patton and instill fear in other contractors. The rubicon has been crossed after this latest battle. There is no going back now.

bacha29

Their base allegations are in the complaint. We know FedEx has no real ground to stand on, but they are litigious bullies and they will drag this on and incur major legal bills, just to make an example of Patton and instill fear in other contractors. The rubicon has been crossed after this latest battle. There is no going back now.
Spot on The situation has deteriorated to the point where from a contractor's perspective there's nothing to fight for or over now. There will be some who might be able to carry on for awhile longer than other's but the overall prospects are clearly in a downward trajectory.

When you combine a recession with loss of market share and lower on time service than competitors and facing the prospect of a permanent loss of system capacity if that doesn't move that company to come to the understanding that the bloom is coming off the rose then by the time they finally move on it the damage will have already been done.

That company even going back to the Roadway days has always tightly embraced the management style known as "desperation management" When the situation gets desperate enough they'll do something about it. By the looks of it they believe that the situation isn't desperate enough yet.....We'll see in a few months.

XEQaF

Spot on The situation has deteriorated to the point where from a contractor's perspective there's nothing to fight for or over now. There will be some who might be able to carry on for awhile longer than other's but the overall prospects are clearly in a downward trajectory.

When you combine a recession with loss of market share and lower on time service than competitors and facing the prospect of a permanent loss of system capacity if that doesn't move that company to come to the understanding that the bloom is coming off the rose then by the time they finally move on it the damage will have already been done.

That company even going back to the Roadway days has always tightly embraced the management style known as "desperation management" When the situation gets desperate enough they'll do something about it. By the looks of it they believe that the situation isn't desperate enough yet.....We'll see in a few months.
When the folks in the Ivory Tower bubble start pressing and whipping the senior managers throwing them under the bus, then you'll see the stress leaves increase and the exodus of those lower ranked officers too

View attachment 398965
Ouch 208 eh? any bets by this time next week we will see a new 52-wk low??? Anyone anyone? Dano?
activist investor dude was pushing for numbers on ground contingency numbers to get an idea of how bad it is if x releases those numbers i would bet on $150 or lower just due to lack of confidence in management assuming it doesn't involve a sec lawsuit over it.

XEQaF

activist investor dude was pushing for numbers on ground contingency numbers to get an idea of how bad it is if x releases those numbers i would bet on $150 or lower just due to lack of confidence in management assuming it doesn't involve a sec lawsuit over it.
So would one believe that being a "hedge fund manager" that you would gain by shorting a certain stock? Will that be part of X's argument in court?

bacha29

View attachment 398965
Ouch 208 eh? any bets by this time next week we will see a new 52-wk low??? Anyone anyone? Dano?
It's important to note that only 1.3% of it's stock is currently shorted. That's a low number. At the same time the stock has fallen 10% from what it was prior to the Patton conference.
It would appear however that X has got whichever bodily orifice you want to use caught in the wringer. There's only so much money to go around and with several major parties, activist investors, passive investors, contractors, pilots, managers etc all wanting a big chunk of coin all at a time when the economy especially consumer discretionary spending is waning, it then appears that there won't be enough money to go around.

Again, it's a damn poor setup to begin with and it's vulnerable.

10-27

Expect ground shifting freight to express
I've had customers ask me about this issue. A lot of them are seeking refuge with UPS. The places I pick up bulk stops are slowly giving packages to them to avoid a problem. With the way Express operates, (late freight, 3 or 4 trucks a day, estar putting different driver there everyday at all different times, etc....) they getting away from the so called "Brand". Memphis clearly doesn't realize customers are getting tired of all this fu#kary!

I've had customers ask me about this issue. A lot of them are seeking refuge with UPS. The places I pick up bulk stops are slowly giving packages to them to avoid a problem. With the way Express operates, (late freight, 3 or 4 trucks a day, estar putting different driver there everyday at all different times, etc....) they getting away from the so called "Brand". Memphis clearly doesn't realize customers are getting tired of all this fu#kary!
I also have customers moving over to UPS because of the mess Memphis has created. Last week I spoke to a manager outside of our station operation and he said FDX leadership was in a full panic mode over what’s going on. Express can’t keep drivers or handlers and the imploding of Ground. E-Star and Response has been a disaster and add in the possibility of the pilots striking who could blame them. It’s clear whoever is in charge these days are in over their head.