Forcing Thanksgiving Holiday Work Is The Beginning Of The End

brostalss

I just hope that since we all have to come in, all the routes are in. Do your route and go home. Those who want 8 hours, get the extra stops. Traffic is going to be a mess.

Use common sense on Black Friday instead of trying to save dollars and cents.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I just hope that everybody who has annual plans to travel or be with family, or just doesn't want to work on this named holiday, no call/no shows.

It's an absolute shame the IBT is backing the company rather that the members on this issue, at least in the Central Region.

I just hope that everybody who has annual plans to travel or be with family, or just doesn't want to work on this named holiday, no call/no shows.

It's an absolute shame the IBT is backing the company rather that the members on this issue, at least in the Central Region.
We have to adjust. It's not the end of the world. I bet you if the general public knew we were going to make 101.58 an hour they'd want us to get the day off as well.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

Want to be a good union brother show up to work.

I hope anyone that no call no shows or calls in has their tires slashed when they return. That's how old time union brothers would of handled it.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
We have to adjust. It's not the end of the world. I bet you if the general public knew we were going to make 101.58 an hour they'd want us to get the day off as well.

I hope anyone that no call no shows or calls in has their tires slashed when they return. That's how old time union brothers would of handled it.
I will be there, as I always am, by choice.
If this was something the company wanted, then it should have been bargained for in stead of taken and our union should enforce the present agreement.
Old school union brothers would have shut the doors on Friday until the company abided by the contract.

$101.37 an hour and people want to bitch. We have 7 weeks and two day vacation. Paid holidays. I make so much money I can afford to take a lot of unpaid days. I just don't get it.

I will be there, as I always am, by choice.
If this was something the company wanted, then it should have been bargained for in stead of taken and our union should enforce the present agreement.
Old school union brothers would have shut the doors on Friday until the company abided by the contract.
That was a different era. Did you see how last Tuesday went. That era is dead and over. Time to evolve.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
$101.37 an hour and people want to bitch. We have 7 weeks and two day vacation. Paid holidays. I make so much money I can afford to take a lot of unpaid days. I just don't get it.
It's not about you.
It's about the collective whole who have had a choice that was bargained for, until now.
For many it is the only days of the year that the whole family can come together from their various corners of the country.
Some things are vastly more important than money and what it can or cannot buy.

The language hasn't changed in Art 15 sec 1 of the Central Region and it states "no seniority employee shall be required to work on the below named holidays".
Aside from Art 40 in the Master, there is nothing in any agreement that supersedes this.
Several contend that section 4 of Art 15 does and I have asked repeatedly, that if this is the case and we can be forced to work any holiday aside from an air operation, when is the quoted language in Art15 sec 1 relevant?
Why would it say in section 1 "shall not be required to work" and then state we can be required in section 4?
Nobody can answer this question.

Section 4 provides for the pay rate for the only scenario contractually viable, an Art 40 air operation, not a full day.

Last edited:

Brownslave688

It's not about you.
It's about the collective whole who have had a choice that was bargained for, until now.
For many it is the only days of the year that the whole family can come together from their various corners of the country.
Some things are vastly more important than money and what it can or cannot buy.

The language hasn't changed in Art 15 sec 1 of the Central Region and it states "no seniority employee shall be required to work on the below named holidays".
Aside from Art 40 in the Master, there is nothing in any agreement that supersedes this.
Several contend that section 4 of Art 15 does and I have asked repeatedly, that if this is the case and we can be forced to work any holiday aside from an air operation, when is the quoted language in Art15 sec 1 relevant?
Why would it say in section 1 "shall not be required to work" and then state we can be required in section 4?
Nobody can answer this question.

Section 4 provides for the pay rate for the only scenario contractually viable, an Art 40 air operation, not a full day.
Listen the IBT has sold us out plenty but I don't believe this is the case here.

This is simply a case of where a few articles should of been molded together instead of added on.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
For those concerned, UPS sent out a memo on monday to all package , preload and feeder departments...

THERE WILL BE NO SICK PAY PAID on the friday after thanksgiving. It will still count as an occassion and proper discipline will be followed for any employee who calls in sick on that day.

There will also be NO SCHEDULED days off on that friday, however, VACATIONS already selected that week will be honored.

FHPS and PERSONAL days will NOT be paid on that day.

Please plan accordingly.

TOS.

Brownslave688

For those concerned, UPS sent out a memo on monday to all package , preload and feeder departments...

THERE WILL BE NO SICK PAY PAID on the friday after thanksgiving. It will still count as an occassion and proper discipline will be followed for any employee who calls in sick on that day.

There will also be NO SCHEDULED days off on that friday, however, VACATIONS already selected that week will be honored.

FHPS and PERSONAL days will NOT be paid on that day.

Please plan accordingly.

TOS.
If vacation is granted I think personal days must also be granted.

Brownslave688

Why? Vacations were selected way before this operational change.
An option day a week of vacation or a single day vacation day are all personal days. If one is allowed they all should be.

This could be filed on I believe. Should be an easy win but the IBT will fold I am sure.

Vacations are still open for thanksgiving week next year correct?

Inthegame

An option day a week of vacation or a single day vacation day are all personal days. If one is allowed they all should be.

This could be filed on I believe. Should be an easy win but the IBT will fold I am sure.

No folding on this, it's already in the book. CRT Art 15 Sec 1(pg 224), "no optional holiday during the period Thanksgiving through December 25th", Art 16 (pg 230) "No single vacation day(s) will be taken during the period of Thanksgiving through December 25th."

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular

According to the vacation sheet I got today...yup, although I'd never pick that week.