Going to part time?

AB831

If you’re a full time courier and wish to move to part time, do you just ask your manager, or do you have to go into workday and bid on a part time position?

CatMan

If you’re a full time courier and wish to move to part time, do you just ask your manager, or do you have to go into workday and bid on a part time position?
Right now is not the best time to go part time , they're putting a lot of pressure on PT couriers to work extra hours...and it's hard to say no...cause most of the time its easy money ....hang in there, keep your benifits.

MAKAVELI

Right now is not the best time to go part time , they're putting a lot of pressure on PT couriers to work extra hours...and it's hard to say no...cause most of the time its easy money ....hang in there, keep your benifits.
Benefits are the same. They can only hold you for 6 hours. If you can afford the cut in your weekly check, why not?

Serf

I have never ever seen a part time route open in the AM. Just swings covering Night Routes. Typically by me if you have enough years in you just say you don’t want to be full time anymore and they find or create a morning route for you.

falcon back

Benefits are the same. They can only hold you for 6 hours. If you can afford the cut in your weekly check, why not?
Bacha keeps saying they have eliminated benefits for part timers. Even though he doesn't work for the company he knows more than those that do. You do lose disability insurance and the ability to buy more life insurance.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
I think one or two. They post routes on the board in the hallway, but they never say the employee status on them
Routes and Positions are two different animals. The PT Position must be open before you can apply. Many stations require management approval for FT to PT downgrade. Once you downgrade you can bid, or be placed, on an open route. In my experience, you also had to resign in writing the FT Position you have. As in all things FedEx, downgrading your position is not simple.

Also, PTer's CAN BE DRAFTED. You must provide PROOF that you have child/adult care duties, another job, or are attending school to be exempted from being drafted.

whenIgetthere

My SM would let people downgrade if they desired, but a while back (maybe a year), he said only way to downgrade now is to bid on a PT position.

Buhryein

Pretty much as I've seen it's per manager / sr. Mngr discretion to downgrade where you are at. However if you put in for a position that you are not restricted from that is part time, if you are top of the list they can't stop you.

CatMan

Well, you're leaving money on the table when you take vacations and get paid only 20 hrs...also holiday pay, sick days ect. Is only 4Hrs

Star B

White Lightening
Also, PTer's CAN BE DRAFTED. You must provide PROOF that you have child/adult care duties, another job, or are attending school to be exempted from being drafted.

Never heard of that. They get me for my 6 and that's it. After that they get their truck back and I clock out for the day if I want. If they want to start forcing me to work then they can bump all my bennies back up and pay me swing pay.