Grill It Baby!

Johney

Pineapple King
I also make enough to make sure I have leftovers during the week.

My son is leaving early Wednesday morning to start his job in Davenport, IA, so I took him out to Texas Roadhouse for dinner a little while ago.

I love Texas Roadhouse.
Is that the place that has the peanuts you just dump the shells on the floor?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
This Florida boy does a killer Brisket.

Honestly, I've only done one so far, and only because my BIL had two in his freezer and wanted to see them gone.

The scariest part was trimming the thing. I started with about 18 pounds of certified Angus, and ended up with about 12 after taking the nasty fat off.

Blew right through the stall, and foiled at 170.

Hit 205 at about 6 hours, wrapped and stashed in the cooler, chopped up the point and put back in with a bunch of sauce, and served about 8 to 9 hours in.

The flat was tender and flavorful and juicy. The burnt ends blew everyone away.

Probably beginner's luck, but I can't wait to do another.

Johney

Pineapple King
Honestly, I've only done one so far, and only because my BIL had two in his freezer and wanted to see them gone.

The scariest part was trimming the thing. I started with about 18 pounds of certified Angus, and ended up with about 12 after taking the nasty fat off.

Blew right through the stall, and foiled at 170.

Hit 205 at about 6 hours, wrapped and stashed in the cooler, chopped up the point and put back in with a bunch of sauce, and served about 8 to 9 hours in.

The flat was tender and flavorful and juicy. The burnt ends blew everyone away.

Probably beginner's luck, but I can't wait to do another.
Sounds good just remember always leave a little bit of fat and start it fat side down. Baste it with a good mop mixture,beer,apple cider vinegar,brown sugar,apple juice. If using a smoker with a water pan put apple juice in the pan.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
I'm not in Texas, but I promise pics next time I do one.

For a tough, nasty piece of beef, they are the absolute tastiest done right!

I've tried several times and can't get it right. Mine usually turns into a $60, smoky pot roast. The pre-cook trimming and post cook cutting has proved to be my biggest hurdle.

Brisket has two parts: point and flat. The point side is leaner than the flat. The grain of the point side is perpendicular of the flat, which poses a challenge when cutting/serving. Cook it/Cut it wrong and the whole thing falls apart.

I've watched several YouTube vids of competition BBQ gurus cooking brisket to perfection and tried to recreate to no avail.

Im starting to think I should probably master how to cook the flat first before tackling the whole brisket.

Anyone have tips or ideas?

Sent using a Potato

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Sounds good just remember always leave a little bit of fat and start it fat side down. Baste it with a good mop mixture,beer,apple cider vinegar,brown sugar,apple juice. If using a smoker with a water pan put apple juice in the pan.

I left about a quarter inch of fat cap on most of the fatty side, and when I foiled it, I put about a half to three quarters of a bottle of good ale in the foil.

Most of the weight I lost was freezer burn and that particular brisket had a lot of the really hard fat between the point and flat.

And, because it really blew through the stall and I had to foil it so soon, I didn't get that dark bark like I was looking for.

You have to admit that they are intimidating the first time, but I can't wait to do another one.

Oh yeah, in a kamado like I have, so much moisture stays in the dome that a water pan isn't needed. I'm not sure I could cook a dry piece of meat if I tried.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I've tried several times and can't get it right. Mine usually turns into a $60, smoky pot roast. The pre-cook trimming and post cook cutting has proved to be my biggest hurdle.

Brisket has two parts: point and flat. The point side is leaner than the flat. The grain of the point side is perpendicular of the flat, which poses a challenge when cutting/serving. Cook it/Cut it wrong and the whole thing falls apart.

I've watched several YouTube vids of competition BBQ gurus cooking brisket to perfection and tried to recreate to no avail.

Im starting to think I should probably master how to cook the flat first before tackling the whole brisket.

Anyone have tips or ideas?

Sent using a Potato

The point is the fattier part. The grain runs perpendicular to the flat, and there is a big fat vein between the two. Cut the point off when the flat is done, chop it up and mix with barbecue sauce in a pan. Put it back in for maybe an hour, and you have burnt ends. AKA, meat candy!

It has to be cooked to about 205 internal to break down all the connective tissue in it, and that's when it gets tender.

Look here:

amazingribs.com

Last edited:
bgytk.jpeg

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
The point is the fatty side.

It has to be cooked to about 205 internal to break down all the connective tissue in it, and that's when it gets tender.

Look here:

amazingribs.com

Internal temp. is key. Overcook it, it turns into a stringy mess. Undercook it, it's like eating my Nikes.

There's a guy on YouTube, Malcolm Reed, that makes it look pretty simple.