Ground to absorb Express

Star B

White Lightening
Under current FAA rules any pkg that will be placed on an aircraft will be handled exclusively by regular employees of that company, not by employees of a sub-contractor.

nope.txt. I didn't work for Delta, United, AA/US Airways, or their smattering of Regionals when I worked at the port. I was a slave of a subcontractor. This included loading self-loading cargo(pax), their bags and freight.

Here's alternate headlines from the same move-
(blah blah)
Those are the headlines of the biz/republican/1%ers papers. Blue Collar libburral media (like the post, nyt, etc) would run with the "EVIL COMPANY!!" headlines.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
It would appear that a taste of your own medicine is to your disliking. Well paly I'm pleased to inform you that there is plenty more where that can from because it is simply your own personal attacks coming right back at you. Now if you want to get into the conversation regarding what form the industry will take in the future what markets it will serve and how it serve them it will be appreciated but if you want to continue to live in the 1980's and think along those lines spewing out an endless barrage of personal attacks and nothing more they will continue to be responded to in kind.
I won't undertake a war of wits against an unarmed man.

bacha29

Give it your best shot. Your insecurities show every time you post 1 of your stat filled arguments. You throw out stats and legal terms with most post and yet your knowledge is very limited. That is very obvious when you state an opinion and not just cut and paste what you read somewhere.
The stats I use come from credible sources and are far more useful than the same old thing we hear from you. Your money, your travels, your personal attacks etc as if somebody actually cares. Well they don't care A couple of weeks from now I will under go a cancer biopsy. Nobody on this site is going to care about that and I don't want them to. Why because it does not have any impact on the broader picture. This site and this thread in particular are about the FUTURE. Now if you want to go on living in your ignorant and self centered little world, please be my guest. But don't expect anybody to pay any attention to the petty and insignificant events that transpire inside your little world.

vantexan

nope.txt. I didn't work for Delta, United, AA/US Airways, or their smattering of Regionals when I worked at the port. I was a slave of a subcontractor. This included loading self-loading cargo(pax), their bags and freight.

Those are the headlines of the biz/republican/1%ers papers. Blue Collar libburral media (like the post, nyt, etc) would run with the "EVIL COMPANY!!" headlines.
Not the same thing. FAA requires FedEx because it goes out and collects freight from others to use regular employees that are given annual training.

oldrps

Not the same thing. FAA requires FedEx because it goes out and collects freight from others to use regular employees that are given annual training.

FedEx also carries USPS packages, they are not picked up and delivered by FedEx employees. How does this work based on what you are stating?

By using the USPS example, a contractor could pickup the packages, they are sent to the nearest airport, given to FedEx employees at the airport and then a FedEx employee would load them on the FedEx plane, like the USPS packages.

vantexan

FedEx also carries USPS packages, they are not picked up and delivered by FedEx employees. How does this work based on what you are stating?

By using the USPS example, a contractor could pickup the packages, they are sent to the nearest airport, given to FedEx employees at the airport and then a FedEx employee would load them on the FedEx plane, like the USPS packages.
Well you got me there, don't know. Per the first part of your post anyone can deliver, it's the picking up and putting on the plane where employees are needed. I'm going not only on what I've read here in the past but also from a couple of mgrs who seemed knowledgeable. Which begs the question, if FedEx can pickup as well as deliver Express pkgs with employees of contractors then why aren't they? Seems they'd have gone that rt a long time ago for huge profits.

Artee

At our ramp we also fly in some ground freight. No outbound, but there is a ground trailer with rollers at our ramp every morning picking up a couple containers of ground freight that comes in from MEM. Its stuff that did not make it out on the ground side, that if it moved through their normal operations would be late. So express moves it to save the commit.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
You just don't seem to get it. You guys act like your beloved company is and always will be in a market entirely of it's own making and will never have to contend with a competitive new entrant in that space.

IOW, you have absolutely no experience with Express. Thanks, just what I figured.

59 Dano

My point is after it gets to the town what difference does it make if it goes to an express sprinter van to be delivered or one of my step vans. There is no difference. It makes sense for Express to handle the air aspect, the pickups, the sort, the loading etc. I'm not convinced there's anything special with the last mile delivery that couldn't be contracted out.

Anyone can get the package delivered. There's no arguing that. Meeting the time-definite service requirements is another story. To do so consistently requires a level of control over the last mile operation that Express can't legally maintain in a contractor scenario.

I keep brining it back to the level of control that the company needs over the last mile ops because that is vital to the success of the operation. This forum is loaded with posts from contractors saying that they don't have to do [this] if they don't want to, they don't have to do [that] if they don't want to, that they aren't obligated to do more than the bare minimums stated in their agreements, etc. That wouldn't work well at all with the high revenue, low margin Express product.

59 Dano

Right now, if they wanted to make the commit time for all P1 0900, it just takes a memo, reprogramming, and manpower allocation to make it happen. With a contractor workforce, depending on how they write the contracts, it may take months to a year to fully implement it.

Exactly. Degree of control. Express needs the ability to make lots of changes in short periods of time.

STFXG

Well you got me there, don't know. Per the first part of your post anyone can deliver, it's the picking up and putting on the plane where employees are needed. I'm going not only on what I've read here in the past but also from a couple of mgrs who seemed knowledgeable. Which begs the question, if FedEx can pickup as well as deliver Express pkgs with employees of contractors then why aren't they? Seems they'd have gone that rt a long time ago for huge profits.
There is no FAA regulation requiring that. We've been over this before. If you'd like I can point you in the direction of the FAR's that cover air cargo operations.

MAKAVELI

There is no FAA regulation requiring that. We've been over this before. If you'd like I can point you in the direction of the FAR's that cover air cargo operations.
Whether there is or is not doesn't really matter. If they decide to have contractors and their ground drivers pick up and deliver Air Freight they will lose their RLA status. Unless Fred is able to get the Drumpf Administration to change those RLA regulation it's not going to happen.

bacha29

IOW, you have absolutely no experience with Express. Thanks, just what I figured.
What I do know is this. When margins are under attack companies hit back. The focus of this discussion is what X can and might be compelled to do if margin improvements at Express begin to level off or decline and what new demands may be put on the backs of Ground contractors . Rest assured image and reputation won't pay the bills if economy of operation is no where to be seen.

Star B

White Lightening
If they decide to have contractors and their ground drivers pick up and deliver Air Freight they will lose their RLA status.
How so? Ground doesn't have RLA. If anything, this would strengthen the distinction. FXE (the airline) would air-line-haul freight for FXG. There would be less trucks on the ground on the Express side... as that was rolled into FXG with the contractors.

We happen to be an airline that has a huge fleet of trucks on the ground. We would become an airline with the minimum amount of trucks needed to directly support the air freight operation.

It will be fine

Anyone can get the package delivered. There's no arguing that. Meeting the time-definite service requirements is another story. To do so consistently requires a level of control over the last mile operation that Express can't legally maintain in a contractor scenario.

I keep brining it back to the level of control that the company needs over the last mile ops because that is vital to the success of the operation. This forum is loaded with posts from contractors saying that they don't have to do [this] if they don't want to, they don't have to do [that] if they don't want to, that they aren't obligated to do more than the bare minimums stated in their agreements, etc. That wouldn't work well at all with the high revenue, low margin Express product.
This forum is also loaded with posts of express drivers that say they couldn't care less if they have lates. They say lates are management's problem not theirs. If contractors got time sensitive deliveries I'm sure the punishments for lates would be well beyond the cost of the shipments.

bacha29

This forum is also loaded with posts of express drivers that say they couldn't care less if they have lates. They say lates are management's problem not theirs. If contractors got time sensitive deliveries I'm sure the punishments for lates would be well beyond the cost of the shipments.
No question the compensation package for contractors would be loaded with penalties for late deliveries.