Here Comes the Electric Fail

vantexan

and you think we have the infrastructure needed for H. much less the tech advances needed.. LMAO
Didn't say that. It has to be developed. But hydrogen cars fuel quickly, go approximately as far as gas cars, and don't emit carbon. Without the issues of electric cars. Now if we had more nuclear we could cleanly produce electricity. Look at France. 80% of its electricity from nuclear and it has the lowest emissions of any western industrialized nation.

Last edited:

wilberforce15

Didn't say that. It has to be developed. But hydrogen cars fuel quickly, go approximately as far gas cars, and don't emit carbon. Without the issues of electric cars. Now if we had more nuclear we could cleanly produce electricity. Look at France. 80% of its electricity from nuclear and it has the lowest emissions of any western industrialized nation.
Electric cars fuel faster than hydrogen or gas for most fillups, because most of their fillups use no excess stops or land usage.

You can own a car for years and only fill up on road trips. Zero trips to the gas station, hydrogen station, diesel station. You just park. That's the fillup.

0 minutes for most electric fillups. 5 or 10 minutes for gas or hydrogen.

vantexan

Electric cars fuel faster than hydrogen or gas for most fillups, because most of their fillups use no excess stops or land usage.

You can own a car for years and only fill up on road trips. Zero trips to the gas station, hydrogen station, diesel station. You just park. That's the fillup.

0 minutes for most electric fillups. 5 or 10 minutes for gas or hydrogen.
Not what I'm reading but great if so.

wilberforce15

Not what I'm reading but great if so.
I don't understand how it relates to reading.

Most charging is done at home. Charging at home takes 0 minutes, and using a public charger is only a thing for road trips for most people.

That's why the time to charge isn't that relevant. And in years of EV ownership, you'll probably spend less time charging than you would filling the same car with gas.

vantexan

I don't understand how it relates to reading.

Most charging is done at home. Charging at home takes 0 minutes, and using a public charger is only a thing for road trips for most people.

That's why the time to charge isn't that relevant. And in years of EV ownership, you'll probably spend less time charging than you would filling the same car with gas.
My understanding using a 220 volt charger at home takes about an hour. Using 120 AC takes overnight. I got that from reading.

wilberforce15

My understanding using a 220 volt charger at home takes about an hour. Using 120 AC takes overnight. I got that from reading.
Yes, that's true.

But it takes 0 minutes for the owner. He parks, and goes inside his home.

The charge takes hours. But it takes no time from the owner.

Filling up with gas takes 5 or 10 minutes away from the owner's day. Charging an electric takes 0 minutes from the owner's day.

vantexan

Yes, that's true.

But it takes 0 minutes for the owner. He parks, and goes inside his home.

The charge takes hours. But it takes no time from the owner.

Filling up with gas takes 5 or 10 minutes away from the owner's day. Charging an electric takes 0 minutes from the owner's day.
Ah, I see. So there's no inconvenience to the owner because he's free to do whatever at home instead of popping into the local fuel station for 5 minutes. How revolting to be able to drive over to your favorite restaurant after gassing up instead of waiting for hours at home. Probably better for the economy too. Who needs people out spending money when they could be home playing video games?

wilberforce15

Ah, I see. So there's no inconvenience to the owner because he's free to do whatever at home instead of popping into the local fuel station for 5 minutes. How revolting to be able to drive over to your favorite restaurant after gassing up instead of waiting for hours at home. Probably better for the economy too. Who needs people out spending money when they could be home playing video games?
You do sleep every night, right?

Having an electric just removed a weekly errand from most people. You don't have to find a place or time to get gas. You just plug it in whenever you park at home. Easy peasy.

With new electrics often having 300 to 400 mile range, most people would only even need to charge overnight once a week. For six days a week, you don't even have to plug it in. lol.

vantexan

You do sleep every night, right?

Having an electric just removed a weekly errand from most people. You don't have to find a place or time to get gas. You just plug it in whenever you park at home. Easy peasy.

With new electrics often having 300 to 400 mile range, most people would only even need to charge overnight once a week. For six days a week, you don't even have to plug it in. lol.
So? Everyone will have to time their shopping around getting home if the car is starting to run low. A real possibility in the winter when the cold affects range. Yes there are advantages to that but a lot of people do like to take trips in their cars. Gassing up absolutely wins in that scenario.

wilberforce15

It's an even better version of how much time and effort I've saved with using electric yard tools. I no longer have to buy or store gas, maintain carburetors or do anything at all. I just plug things in and they work. Zero effort, total effectiveness, and the performance vs. gas is the same.

This is just bigger and better, with a car that requires no gas stops or regular maintenance trips.

wilberforce15

So? Everyone will have to time their shopping around getting home if the car is starting to run low. A real possibility in the winter when the cold affects range. Yes there are advantages to that but a lot of people do like to take trips in their cars. Gassing up absolutely wins in that scenario.
If you are home every day, there is nothing to time or consider. You could drive 100 miles a day in a canadian winter, and still not have to time shopping or anything else. You'd literally just have to make sure it's plugged in whenever you park at home

I have no idea why you're makign this so hard. Stick the plug into the plug holes whenever you're at home, and that covers almost everybody who will not even have to think about ever running low.

vantexan

It's an even better version of how much time and effort I've saved with using electric yard tools. I no longer have to buy or store gas, maintain carburetors or do anything at all. I just plug things in and they work. Zero effort, total effectiveness, and the performance vs. gas is the same.

This is just bigger and better, with a car that requires no gas stops or regular maintenance trips.
And gas prices driven way up. There won't be a decent used electric car market for quite some time. And the working class won't be able to afford a new car. So they'll get hammered by $5+ a gallon gas. Hope y'all plan on improving public transportation.

wilberforce15

And gas prices driven way up. There won't be a decent used electric car market for quite some time. And the working class won't be able to afford a new car. So they'll get hammered by $5+ a gallon gas. Hope y'all plan on improving public transportation.
Replacing the entire set of the world's automobiles after a 100 year mature industry has dominated the planet might take two decades. Is that supposed to be some sort of down side?

vantexan

If you are home every day, there is nothing to time or consider. You could drive 100 miles a day in a canadian winter, and still not have to time shopping or anything else. You'd literally just have to make sure it's plugged in whenever you park at home

I have no idea why you're makign this so hard. Stick the plug into the plug holes whenever you're at home, and that covers almost everybody who will not even have to think about ever running low.
Because you make it sound sooooo easy. It's going to take a lot more capacity to charge those millions of electric cars and y'all think it can be done with solar and wind. Good luck with that. We need nuclear to get this done and the Left goes nuts at the mention of nuclear.

vantexan

Replacing the entire set of the world's automobiles after a 100 year mature industry has dominated the planet might take two decades. Is that supposed to be some sort of down side?
It is for the millions who can't afford a new car. Tens of millions. What are you going to do, take their carbon emitting cars from them?

wilberforce15

It is for the millions who can't afford a new car. Tens of millions. What are you going to do, take their carbon emitting cars from them?
I haven't said anything about taking carbon cars from anyone. Gas and diesel will be sold for at least 10 more years, if not 20 more years. I have no idea where you're getting this idea that I want to ban anything.

I also said nothing about what kidns of power for the grid I favor. You seem to be just making it all up. I haven't said a word about using or even favoring renewable energy.

My argument is that EV's are simply a vastly superior technology and they can/will dominate the car market, even if there weren't any government help or bans on gas. They're just simply miles and miles better.

wilberforce15

That is a very white racist and elitist outlook that ignores the realities of minorities and low income people. Shame on you!
I thought all this up while I petitioned the city to keep the bus stops away from my house.

I don't need the poors walking by my house for their silly transportation. My neighborhood doesn't need the home value hit.