Here Comes the Electric Fail

bacha29

Today Borg Warner one of the world's largest manufacturers of auto parts and vehicle tech support in a press release stated that currently 3% of it's revenues comes from the production of parts, technology and support for electric vehicles but by 2030 that 3% will go to 45% as it retools and prepares in response to the accelerating pace of the transition to EV's.

wilberforce15

Today Borg Warner one of the world's largest manufacturers of auto parts and vehicle tech support in a press release stated that currently 3% of it's revenues comes from the production of parts, technology and support for electric vehicles but by 2030 that 3% will go to 45% as it retools and prepares in response to the accelerating pace of the transition to EV's.
And that, in turn, will be much smaller, because just like I've had a box fan for 15 years with no maintenance, so this superior technology will put parts suppliers and mechanics in trouble.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Million-mile batteries already exist and are in vehicles right now, where you can drive your entire lifetime worth of miles, over decades, and need a new car body before you need a new battery.

So much ignorance here.
Do any million-mile batteries exist?
Maybe. China’s battery manufacturing giant, Contemporary Amperex Technology Ltd. (CATL), said in June it is “ready to produce” a battery that will last 16 years and 1.2 million miles but hasn’t said much more about it.
L.A.Times

Dream on, so much ignorance.

wilberforce15

Do any million-mile batteries exist?
Maybe. China’s battery manufacturing giant, Contemporary Amperex Technology Ltd. (CATL), said in June it is “ready to produce” a battery that will last 16 years and 1.2 million miles but hasn’t said much more about it.
L.A.Times
It depends on what kind of range loss one is willing to accept. That's it.

People talk about a battery needing replacement when it's down to 90% or 95% of original capacity.

Personally. I think it's ludicrous to spend ten thousand dollars to replace something that is 90% effective.

So, all current Teslas on the road have million mile batteries if you're willing for a 330 mile range to turn into a 250 mile range.

They work. With no maintenance. They just simply do what they're supposed to do.

In a zombie apocalypse, you'd have 80% range after the grid was down for a few decades, as long as you had solar.

wilberforce15

Plus, Tesla's new 4680 battery cell is the million mile battery with 90% capacity retention for tens of thousands of cyles. It's the holy grail.

They didn't portray it as such because if they said so, they'd lose a lot of current sales from people waiting for it.

MAKAVELI

It depends on what kind of range loss one is willing to accept. That's it.

People talk about a battery needing replacement when it's down to 90% or 95% of original capacity.

Personally. I think it's ludicrous to spend ten thousand dollars to replace something that is 90% effective.

So, all current Teslas on the road have million mile batteries if you're willing for a 330 mile range to turn into a 250 mile range.

They work. With no maintenance. They just simply do what they're supposed to do.

In a zombie apocalypse, you'd have 80% range after the grid was down for a few decades, as long as you had solar.
In his case Texas was a Zombie apocalypse.🤣

Mutineer

And that, in turn, will be much smaller, because just like I've had a box fan for 15 years with no maintenance, so this superior technology will put parts suppliers and mechanics in trouble.
You write as if you believe a competitively priced, million mile ICE passenger car is somehow, an engineering impossibility.

Why aren't they made? Those answers depend on who you ask. Don't ask me to answer that question. Unless you want to wear a tinfoil hat and go down a rabbit hole. No. The answer is simple: Because people are impractical, wasteful, stupid, short-sighted and get tired of old things and want shiny new things for no good reason other than boredom and the desire to impress others.

The "superior technology" million mile EV will be purposely engineered to have a service life and fail. Maybe not the motor or batteries. But other critical parts of it will. And compared to an ICE, those 'other' parts will have a staggering cost. And after the car is ten years old or so, cost more than the value of the car. Because most consumers don't want their cars to last forever.

Auto parts manufacturers, and everything connected to them will NOT be set up to fail. In the end, we will all end up buying parts, paying mechanics, and spending money maintaining our EV's just like our ICE's.

Except worse. Oh, and all that power you're raving about. That will be influenced by insurance companies, Federal, and state laws . Just like ICE's.

Last edited:

vantexan

Plus, Tesla's new 4680 battery cell is the million mile battery with 90% capacity retention for tens of thousands of cyles. It's the holy grail.

They didn't portray it as such because if they said so, they'd lose a lot of current sales from people waiting for it.

I wonder if it still performs well in cold weather? One thing to test them in California, quite another in Minnesota.

bacha29

The BW press release tells you one thing and one thing only. We the motoring public must either pass willingly into the brave new world of EV's or be dragged into the brave world of EV's or be willing to adapt to a far less mobile style of living because like it or not ICE's are on their way out and that's all there is to it.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I wonder if it still performs well in cold weather? One thing to test them in California, quite another in Minnesota.

The Tesla Model 3 has an EPA-estimated 310-mile range. At the end of that same 64 mile drive, it indicated there were 189 miles of predicted range. Put another way, the Model 3 used 121 miles worth of range in only 64 miles. That’s almost double the anticipated loss.

vantexan

The Tesla Model 3 has an EPA-estimated 310-mile range. At the end of that same 64 mile drive, it indicated there were 189 miles of predicted range. Put another way, the Model 3 used 121 miles worth of range in only 64 miles. That’s almost double the anticipated loss.
Uh oh, Makaveli is going to be upset!

vantexan

You could use the Googler. Plenty of people have crossed the length of Canada in winter on a Tesla road trip. Lots of videos. Ignorance is easy to solve
Nah, I'll take Consumer Reports summation of the issues with driving electric vehicles in seriously cold weather. Advocates tend to gloss over negative issues.

wilberforce15

Nah, I'll take Consumer Reports summation of the issues with driving electric vehicles in seriously cold weather. Advocates tend to gloss over negative issues.
Cold enough weather can hit range by 30 to 50%.

That also has no impact on the vast majority of people.

That's because cars charge at home.

wilberforce15

I'll be happy for long distance cold weather towing to go entirely to diesel dinosaur cars. They deserve it.

They're entirely inferior at everything else. I can throw you a bone.

vantexan

Cold enough weather can hit range by 30 to 50%.

That also has no impact on the vast majority of people.

That's because cars charge at home.
As C.R. pointed out the electric car you choose if you live in cold weather areas should be rated to drive much further than what you typically drive because the demands of cold weather brings its range way down. So people buying a Nissan Leaf for example may find their winter month driving greatly inhibited unless they have access to charging stations at work. This also limits long drives away from home no matter the time of year. Most people in my opinion don't want to spend long periods charging on a road trip. I've read that Teslas are great cars but pretty expensive. When electric cars solve the issues and bring the costs down they'll go mainstream. Until then I would be happy with a hybrid. One thing that makes a Prius attractive to me is it can be 100 degrees outside and you can sit in air conditioned comfort with the car kicking on for a few minutes every so often to recharge the big battery, using little gas to do so. Owners even use that feature to run things with an inverter while camping. A fully electric vehicle in similar circumstances is just going to drain its battery. From everything I've read hydrogen may be the ultimate answer. India is getting into hydrogen cars now so maybe they'll be able to demonstrate some advantages.