How's North Carolina TEST STATION doing??

fedx

Extra Large Package
It's ORIGIN based regionally. The program is called "last-mile optimization", but nothing prevents that optimization from happening upstream.

It IS the plan to move to the Ground network at the origin ramp. This is not speculative. These will remain Express packages so the rate will be the Express rate for that account/shipment.

There are numerous packages - especially E2 and XS that never see a plane today. Some aren't even linehaul transported by Express. They are moved on contract carriers Ozark, Swift and others. Ground will now be the contract carrier for some of those.

Well eventually it will get out to the public that Express is charging their high Express rates when the package never goes through Express and stays with Ground the whole time. I could also eventually see a customer class action lawsuit or FTC complaint of "bait and switch" or "fraud" or "misrepresentation" by Express by charging Express rates when it goes through Ground the whole time.

btrlov

Well eventually it will get out to the public that Express is charging their high Express rates when the package never goes through Express and stays with Ground the whole time. I could also eventually see a customer class action lawsuit or FTC complaint of "bait and switch" or "fraud" or "misrepresentation" by Express by charging Express rates when it goes through Ground the whole time.

most customers dont care as long as the get their stuff in a timely manner. they can see the prices prior to shipping. if they dont like the price the can go somewhere else and avoid the deceptions all together.... Not saying u dont have a point... but its a stretch.

None of us are a fan of wha the company is doing with it workers. But for most of us, that not the saving grace... the saving grace for people with low years is to look for alternative employment, BEFORE the company goes after min hours. They already blew thier chances with the teamsters and now there 40hr week will go down to 35

It will be fine

Customer paid a company for delivery in 2 days. Customer receives delivery in 2 days. Lawsuit filed for what damages? Lawsuits need damages.

bacha29

This little scheme is only going to go on for as long as it takes for enough 2 day Express boxes to end up 4 day Ground boxes and I don't think it will take long.

bbsam

Staff member
This little scheme is only going to go on for as long as it takes for enough 2 day Express boxes to end up 4 day Ground boxes and I don't think it will take long.
bacha, you don’t get it. This is going to be made to work because in the long run as well as in the short run, this is what Wall Street wants. There is no backup plan. This is it.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
bacha, you don’t get it. This is going to be made to work because in the long run as well as in the short run, this is what Wall Street wants. There is no backup plan. This is it.
The backup plan will be an “oh well.” How does Express justify habitually late freight to investors and Wall Street?

bacha29

What you're not thinking about is winter weather, poor access rural areas with thin truck deployments combined with Smart Post. The mailman simply stuffs it in the mailbox out at the end of the lane. The ground guy will have to take it all the way back to the house......that's if he can get in and out of that little piece of heaven without getting stuck.

Now hopefully contractors might be able to claim some Express guys off the waiver wire who have been DFA'ed by Fat Freddy. But, when you look at the job boards at the ridiculously low pay I think most will move onto greener pastures. Good god man, they're offering the same money they were 5 years ago. State minimum up to about $14 and hour no OT no benefits. Yes, there's a few offering "up to" around $22 but it's obviously a per stop rate requiring a person to damn near kill themselves to get to that level.

bbsam

Staff member
What you're not thinking about is winter weather, poor access rural areas with thin truck deployments combined with Smart Post. The mailman simply stuffs it in the mailbox out at the end of the lane. The ground guy will have to take it all the way back to the house......that's if he can get in and out of that little piece of heaven without getting stuck.

Now hopefully contractors might be able to claim some Express guys off the waiver wire who have been DFA'ed by Fat Freddy. But, when you look at the job boards at the ridiculously low pay I think most will move onto greener pastures. Good god man, they're offering the same money they were 5 years ago. State minimum up to about $14 and hour no OT no benefits. Yes, there's a few offering "up to" around $22 but it's obviously a per stop rate requiring a person to damn near kill themselves to get to that level.
Not thinking about these things? Lol. Been living them for 24 years now.

bacha29

Not thinking about these things? Lol. Been living them for 24 years now.
And now with an entirely new set of demands . Demands that's going to require battalions of cheap labor in order to fulfill. Couldn't get them for peak . So what makes Memphis and Pittsburgh think that you're going to get them now?

bbsam

Staff member
And now with an entirely new set of demands . Demands that's going to require battalions of cheap labor in order to fulfill. Couldn't get them for peak . So what makes Memphis and Pittsburgh think that you're going to get them now?
I think there’s going to be a significant increase in revenue. I won’t get rich off it but Express and probably my drivers will benefit.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Same way they’ve been doing it for years?
That’s not justification my friend. Just excuse after lame excuse. That’s how the upper crust at X have been doing things for a long time. They need to change as well, not just the people that handle cardboard. Personally I don’t think they’re capable of it.

Working4the1%

Can’t phathom why anybody works at Ground when Amazon is same pay and Wayyyy easier. What if 2020 goes DEM senate and POTUS. U think contractor scam continues. ....doubt it

bbsam

Staff member
That’s not justification my friend. Just excuse after lame excuse. That’s how the upper crust at X have been doing things for a long time. They need to change as well, not just the people that handle cardboard. Personally I don’t think they’re capable of it.
No. It’s not justification. Are you telling me they haven’t been doing it? 8 pm commit times really shouldn’t be a problem.

bbsam

Staff member
Can’t phathom why anybody works at Ground when Amazon is same pay and Wayyyy easier. What if 2020 goes DEM senate and POTUS. U think contractor scam continues. ....doubt it
Way easier? Are you kidding? Do you realize what their SPH expectations are?

And in 2009 with a Democratic president coming in and a democratic congress in place there was talk of the contractor model being a target. Nothing ever happened though.

bacha29

No. It’s not justification. Are you telling me they haven’t been doing it? 8 pm commit times really shouldn’t be a problem.
Well, there's still plenty of people out there well past that time. Even Orion has talked about being out there to 10PM or later. No question it's going to require much larger truck deployments not as much on the basis of an increased number of stops but rather making certain that the workload is small enough to better assure that they'll make to commitments in both good weather and bad as well as days when the sun is going down at 5 o'clock .