I drink your milkshake! a metaphor for capitalism

rickyb

hahaha:

teleSUR English‏ @telesurenglish 17h17 hours ago

Worker's of the U.S. unite!

DD_wlPyXYAA42R9.jpg

so basically you should be earning 2x as much per hour what you currently earn or more. but anyways liz warren also has youtube videos on this which you could check out. chris hedges was interviewing noam chomsky and he said the same thing.

and how many hours a week do you work to get that vacation?

plus you cant say you are a free person when you take orders all day long.
Are you are saying, if I made $20 in 1998, I should be making $70 now? Inflation index says $20 in 1998 equals $30 in 2017. You are still missing hard numbers in your posts.

wkmac

Are you are saying, if I made $20 in 1998, I should be making $70 now? Inflation index says $20 in 1998 equals $30 in 2017. You are still missing hard numbers in your posts.

Some argue that the current CPI measure of inflation underestimates the true rate of inflation not unlike some who argue the true measure of unemployment underestimates that area of the economy. Further argued that such indices are underestimated for the purpose of making govt policy look better than it actually is. I'll leave you to decide such matters.

On that note, ShadowStats tracks inflation from 1980' to present showing the current official CPI model and the alternative model which shows inflation at nearly double the official rate. Should the alternate model ever prove a more accurate measure of inflation, as it actually once was, then it might be that current wage levels across the economy are way under the actual true inflation rate.

If wages were indeed keeping up with the actual rate of inflation in the economy, seems to me especially that the middle class would not be shrinking as it currently is but at the least maintaining its recent decades historical levels and the number of people that are said to be entering the ranks of what is called the working poor or even down to the poverty level seems to me would at least stay steady instead of growing.

At the same time, if actual inflation is that much higher along with wages that much lower, seems to me this extra money would show itself as greater and greater profits having the effect of accumulating among a certain class or segment of the economy creating a wealth imbalance. Say a segment in the position to dominate public policy for its own ends? Would such a segment find it useful to create an official measure that undercuts wages for the purpose to drive up profits compounded with favorable tax and regulatory policy they write which benefits them? Of course, no such thing could ever happen where people have free elections and full transparency from a media who acts on behalf of the public as the official watchdog.

A fascinating thought exercise to say the least.

rickyb

Some argue that the current CPI measure of inflation underestimates the true rate of inflation not unlike some who argue the true measure of unemployment underestimates that area of the economy. Further argued that such indices are underestimated for the purpose of making govt policy look better than it actually is. I'll leave you to decide such matters.

On that note, ShadowStats tracks inflation from 1980' to present showing the current official CPI model and the alternative model which shows inflation at nearly double the official rate. Should the alternate model ever prove a more accurate measure of inflation, as it actually once was, then it might be that current wage levels across the economy are way under the actual true inflation rate.

If wages were indeed keeping up with the actual rate of inflation in the economy, seems to me especially that the middle class would not be shrinking as it currently is but at the least maintaining its recent decades historical levels and the number of people that are said to be entering the ranks of what is called the working poor or even down to the poverty level seems to me would at least stay steady instead of growing.

At the same time, if actual inflation is that much higher along with wages that much lower, seems to me this extra money would show itself as greater and greater profits having the effect of accumulating among a certain class or segment of the economy creating a wealth imbalance. Say a segment in the position to dominate public policy for its own ends? Would such a segment find it useful to create an official measure that undercuts wages for the purpose to drive up profits compounded with favorable tax and regulatory policy they write which benefits them? Of course, no such thing could ever happen where people have free elections and full transparency from a media who acts on behalf of the public as the official watchdog.

love shadowstats unemployment graphs as well.

rickyb

if you look up inequality videos you can get an idea how badly you are getting screwed as well.

and even if workers were paid what they were worth, this would just exacerbate the environmental destruction with increased consumption.

so we would need a new system either way.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right

Inflation is a tax, a transfer of wealth from the middle class to Wall Street. Ron Paul talked about this to the supposed "conservative" party of this country. Media support or not, he stood on stage at multiple republican primary debates and repeated this message. People weren't interested. You can lead a horse to water....

wkmac

Inflation is a tax, a transfer of wealth from the middle class to Wall Street. Ron Paul talked about this to the supposed "conservative" party of this country. Media support or not, he stood on stage at multiple republican primary debates and repeated this message. People weren't interested. You can lead a horse to water....

Often called the hidden tax on the poor and rightly so IMO. Ron Paul was correct in calling this out along with challenging the monetary policy of the Federal Reserve. Conservatives were often flippant towards Dr. Paul on this issue but then so to was the so-called liberal party. However, outside the partyarch contrived political constructs, many who subscribed to truer limited govt conservatism or decentralized liberalism quite often understood and agreed with Dr. Paul.

if you look up inequality videos you can get an idea how badly you are getting screwed as well.

and even if workers were paid what they were worth, this would just exacerbate the environmental destruction with increased consumption.

so we would need a new system either way.
You didn't answer my question.

rickyb

i think there should be an island where either politically active people can live, OR where we can put all the depoliticized consumer zombies. feels like im in the dawn of the dead movie where people are just going through the motions, not thinking, and certainly not doing anything political.

capitalism gives us all collective brain damage.

Francine Parker
: They're still here.

Stephen: They're after us. They know we're still in here.

Peter: They're after the place. They don't know why; they just remember. Remember that they want to be in here.

Francine Parker: What the hell are they?

Peter: They're us, that's all, when there's no more room in hell.

Stephen: What?

Peter: Something my granddad used to tell us. You know Macumba? Vodou. My granddad was a priest in Trinidad. He used to tell us, "When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the Earth."

vantexan

It's money that's inflated so those with the most money are affected the most. In order to keep it's value it must be invested. Those with a lot of money invest in that which will give them the best return. Investment creates jobs. It's not a one way flow from poor to rich.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
With the entitlement spending looks like the money is coming down in buckets.
You realize poor people spend all the money they get right? Where do you think it all ends up?

We were talking about inflation but since you want to deflect, entitlements subsidize wall street profits too.

vantexan

You realize poor people spend all the money they get right? Where do you think it all ends up?

We were talking about inflation but since you want to deflect, entitlements subsidize wall street profits too.
Why it ends up trickling back down to you in a never ending shower of benevolence for your ungrateful ass.

wkmac

It's money that's inflated so those with the most money are affected the most. In order to keep it's value it must be invested. Those with a lot of money invest in that which will give them the best return. Investment creates jobs. It's not a one way flow from poor to rich.

Interesting POV. But here are 3 questions you might consider that may well aid further to your POV.

1) How does money come into being to start with?

2) Who and What does that?

3) Who holds that money first at its highest value before inflation sets in as it streams through the economy?

There are several potential sources to obtain answers from but one of the best sources are Federal Reserve Publications such as "Modern Money Mechanics" published by the Chicago Federal Reserve Bank and the other is the publication "I Bet You Thought" published by the New York Federal Reserve Bank. After that, your ideas of money and how it works might take on some modifications.