Immigration

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I’m a humanitarian. That’s why I’m very pro war, strong America and anti-abortion.
Again, nothing to do with immigration.
tenor (29).gif

It will be fine

It goes to a fundamental law of the universe: Actions have consequences. Protecting the majority from those who deal and steal is precisely exemplifying promoting the general welfare.
If it limits the availability of those you seek to hire, you need to raise your standards.
You’re making some strange assumptions with that. Drug use by itself does no external harm, criminalizing use offers no protection. Our century long experiment has proven quite the opposite. Declaring people criminals and barring them from gainful employment has real economic impact. Our current drug war is wasteful and ineffective, if you have any evidence to the contrary I’d love to see it.

As it relates to immigration, criminalization directly funds criminals that have huge financial incentives to find discreet entry to our country. They use that knowledge, expertise and capacity to bring people as well. I’m not sure why you support that funding.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
You’re making some strange assumptions with that. Drug use by itself does no external harm, criminalizing use offers no protection. Our century long experiment has proven quite the opposite. Declaring people criminals and barring them from gainful employment has real economic impact. Our current drug war is wasteful and ineffective, if you have any evidence to the contrary I’d love to see it.

As it relates to immigration, criminalization directly funds criminals that have huge financial incentives to find discreet entry to our country. They use that knowledge, expertise and capacity to bring people as well. I’m not sure why you support that funding.
How many coke, crack, or heroin addicts do you have working for you?
Do you live next door to a crack house? heroin den? even a drug pusher? Why not?
You're a hypocrite if your babysitter isn't stoned while she watches your babies.
Just because the problem hasn't been solved already, doesn't mean there isn't a problem.

MAKAVELI

Do you live next door to a crack house? heroin den? even a drug pusher? Why not?
You're a hypocrite if your babysitter isn't stoned while she watches your babies.
Just because the problem hasn't been solved already, doesn't mean there isn't a problem.
Don't fall off that high horse now. I hear it hurts like a buddy*.

It will be fine

That’s not data and is not evidence that the drug war works. I’m a former drug user and I employ quite a few people in my community, something I wouldn’t be able to do had I ever gotten caught. Labeling someone an addict and writing off their entire life is lazy, dishonest and clearly wrong.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
That’s not data and is not evidence that the drug war works. I’m a former drug user and I employ quite a few people in my community, something I wouldn’t be able to do had I ever gotten caught. Labeling someone an addict and writing off their entire life is lazy, dishonest and clearly wrong.
We aren't arguing the same thing. Hate the sin, not the sinner.

It will be fine

We aren't arguing the same thing. Hate the sin, not the sinner.
I honestly don’t understand what point you’re trying to make. Criminality doesn’t solve the problem, we have ample evidence to support that position. There is no evidence that the drug war works in prevention or rehabilitation. It’s just a lucrative black market that funds violent crime/terrorism/illegal border crossings. Why would someone defend that status quo?

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
I honestly don’t understand what point you’re trying to make. Criminality doesn’t solve the problem, we have ample evidence to support that position. There is no evidence that the drug war works in prevention or rehabilitation. It’s just a lucrative black market that funds violent crime/terrorism/illegal border crossings. Why would someone defend that status quo?
Unless you make the drugs cheap and accessible to the abuser, crime will continue. Abusers will still rob, and kill, to get their fix. There will be more abusers the more accessible drugs become. More overdoses, more deaths, more innocent victims. Does that sound like a solution?

It will be fine

Unless you make the drugs cheap and accessible to the abuser, crime will continue. Abusers will still rob, and kill, to get their fix. There will be more abusers the more accessible drugs become. More overdoses, more deaths, more innocent victims. Does that sound like a solution?
I don’t think that viewpoint is supported by evidence. More people will seek treatment and get help with decriminalization. Better public education will reduce usage. Destigmatize the mental health issues that lead to addiction and more abusers will seek help. It’s a public health problem, not a criminal one. Robbery will remain illegal. Look at cigarette usage declines with a public health education effort that’s lasted for decades. We have evidence based models that work, we should explore those over ones we know don’t work.

vantexan

I don’t think that viewpoint is supported by evidence. More people will seek treatment and get help with decriminalization. Better public education will reduce usage. Destigmatize the mental health issues that lead to addiction and more abusers will seek help. It’s a public health problem, not a criminal one. Robbery will remain illegal. Look at cigarette usage declines with a public health education effort that’s lasted for decades. We have evidence based models that work, we should explore those over ones we know don’t work.
So using crack or heroin doesn't affect others around them? Doesn't affect job performance? Doses affect public safety i.e. driving vehicles? The difference between cigarette use and hard drug use, even pot use, is lucidity. The cigarette user is doing himself harm, no doubt. But it doesn't cause him to do others harm.

MAKAVELI

So using crack or heroin doesn't affect others around them? Doesn't affect job performance? Doses affect public safety i.e. driving vehicles? The difference between cigarette use and hard drug use, even pot use, is lucidity. The cigarette user is doing himself harm, no doubt. But it doesn't cause him to do others harm.
Second hand smoke causes cancer and asthma. Ttku

vantexan

The public education argument...do we really have a populace that's unaware of the dangers of opiates, etc at this point?