JCATS

mcutrono

Can anyone tell me what is happening with JCATS? The system is back up until the 28th of July and then they are shutting the program down again. Are they coming out with a new way to transfer? Anyone know whats going on?

Thx

BootsOnTarmac

Most likely will be part of WORKDAY which is expected at the end of August. WORKDAY has experienced rollout delays. JCATS was suspended for a while and came back up for a limited time. Career Ops always had the JCATS postings which were listed as "replacement". The JCATS messages on the home screen were meant mostly for managers posting jobs.

FedEx is streamlining the HR functions into WORKDAY, hopefully with the delays they come out with a simple and competent solution.

mcutrono

Most likely will be part of WORKDAY which is expected at the end of August. WORKDAY has experienced rollout delays. JCATS was suspended for a while and came back up for a limited time. Career Ops always had the JCATS postings which were listed as "replacement". The JCATS messages on the home screen were meant mostly for managers posting jobs.

FedEx is streamlining the HR functions into WORKDAY, hopefully with the delays they come out with a simple and competent solution.

Thank you, I appreciate it. No one at my station seemed to know what was happening.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
For the life of me, I just don't understand how a now multibillion dollar company has so many problems with computers and programs.

It's not computer problems they have, it's mouth problems. Any other company would wait until they knew knew when the system would be ready before they announced the launch date. FedEx announces a date and hopes for the best. They could miss every other IT deadline and no one would know if not for the fact that they announce launch dates that are fueled with more optimism than progress.

You're a company that specializes in deadlines. STOP MISSING DEADLINES.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
It's not computer problems they have, it's mouth problems. Any other company would wait until they knew knew when the system would be ready before they announced the launch date. FedEx announces a date and hopes for the best. They could miss every other IT deadline and no one would know if not for the fact that they announce launch dates that are fueled with more optimism than progress.

Very true!

It will be fine

They have plenty of computer problems too. All the systems are so pieced together from decades of code written by god knows how many different code monkeys, they never really work well. Serviceable is the most we can expect.

59 Dano

They have plenty of computer problems too. All the systems are so pieced together from decades of code written by god knows how many different code monkeys, they never really work well. Serviceable is the most we can expect.

It's not that bad! Nearly all of it on the Express side is written in 3270/AS400 code from the 70's OR 2005-ish html/Java. And outdated 3270/AS400 code from 1979 is no different than outdated 3270/AS400 code from 2017. So really, it's only 2 eras of code, both of which are obsolete and incompatible with one another.

Star B

White Lightening
not exactly. you can glue the stuff together but you have to have competency. Just because something is from the 70s doesn't mean it's junk. If I had to bet, Workday is running the transition instead of us. I'd also venture to guess that Express created JCATS, not bought it off the shelf from a vendor, which is what we are doing with Workday.

59 Dano

not exactly. you can glue the stuff together but you have to have competency. Just because something is from the 70s doesn't mean it's junk. If I had to bet, Workday is running the transition instead of us. I'd also venture to guess that Express created JCATS, not bought it off the shelf from a vendor, which is what we are doing with Workday.

I've never felt that the 3270/AS400 stone age programs were junk. Quite the opposite! They have been pretty fast programs. My main gripe is that there were so many of them, they didn't talk to each other well, and you were very limited in what you could do with each program. For instance, some tasks required you to have multiple green screens open at the same time because the info from the first one was plugged into the 2nd, which generated a response that you had to plug into the 3rd. We held tight to this old crap as technology was advancing. At some point, a few of the people figured out how to simplify some of the processes by creating Exel macros. It was an improvement but the problem still existed. Modernizing things at this point is an overwhelming task because it was something that was ignored for so long.

While I'm complaining, some of the computer guys need to be beaten. Some of them understand their audience, which is great. The rest are creating things that make perfect sense to a computer genius but are thoroughly confusing to the average employee at FedEx.

Now I'm on a roll. The company intranet is a DISASTER. Anything that isn't accessible by a direct keyword is nearly impossible to find via an intranet search. It is unbelievably and inexcusably terrible. So much of it is wholly irrelevant, lots of it is obsolete. Some have put together their own reference pages with links to stuff you would really need. If a dispatch manager or a station's CSAs can organize things in such a useful manner for their own use... WHY CAN'T THE COMPANY?

Once there was a handler who had all of his training but for some reason the Pscan system wouldn't accept his ID. There were 3 man-hours used in trying to look up what the true handler requirements were that would allow him to be Pscan compliant. Couldn't find it. Finally someone looked at the completed courses of a compliant handler and copied them down and compared them to what the non-compliant guy had completed. There were two entries that had nothing to do with anything. He was then given credit for those courses and he was good to go.

Now, if a detailed day-by-day sort recap of a station in Buttcrack, AL for the 3rd quarter of 2003 can be found in the top 5 results of every search, no matter what the search is -- WHY NOT SOMETHING USEFUL? AAARGH!

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I've never felt that the 3270/AS400 stone age programs were junk. Quite the opposite! They have been pretty fast programs. My main gripe is that there were so many of them, they didn't talk to each other well, and you were very limited in what you could do with each program. For instance, some tasks required you to have multiple green screens open at the same time because the info from the first one was plugged into the 2nd, which generated a response that you had to plug into the 3rd. We held tight to this old crap as technology was advancing. At some point, a few of the people figured out how to simplify some of the processes by creating Exel macros. It was an improvement but the problem still existed. Modernizing things at this point is an overwhelming task because it was something that was ignored for so long.

While I'm complaining, some of the computer guys need to be beaten. Some of them understand their audience, which is great. The rest are creating things that make perfect sense to a computer genius but are thoroughly confusing to the average employee at FedEx.

Now I'm on a roll. The company intranet is a DISASTER. Anything that isn't accessible by a direct keyword is nearly impossible to find via an intranet search. It is unbelievably and inexcusably terrible. So much of it is wholly irrelevant, lots of it is obsolete. Some have put together their own reference pages with links to stuff you would really need. If a dispatch manager or a station's CSAs can organize things in such a useful manner for their own use... WHY CAN'T THE COMPANY?

Once there was a handler who had all of his training but for some reason the Pscan system wouldn't accept his ID. There were 3 man-hours used in trying to look up what the true handler requirements were that would allow him to be Pscan compliant. Couldn't find it. Finally someone looked at the completed courses of a compliant handler and copied them down and compared them to what the non-compliant guy had completed. There were two entries that had nothing to do with anything. He was then given credit for those courses and he was good to go.

Now, if a detailed day-by-day sort recap of a station in Buttcrack, AL for the 3rd quarter of 2003 can be found in the top 5 results of every search, no matter what the search is -- WHY NOT SOMETHING USEFUL? AAARGH!
:consoling: Feel better now? Lol.

Star B

White Lightening
Persistence was not generally permitted back in the day due to memory constraints.
Memory was a premium back in the day and the mainframe was designed to process the command, collect data, display, and forget. Sometimes, it would autocomplete the next command for you so you just could hit enter and keep moving. In this instance of screen1/2/3, it would be a perfect use case for the glue logic.

I've also noticed that the FX system is quite different than other mainframes I've used. In the FX world, you don't have to worry about cursor position. In my previous life, the system could present you five options and all you had to do was arrow to the end of that line, hit enter, and you are on the next screen.

Now I'm on a roll. (the rest of it)
Documentation rot. Incomplete documentation. Useless cataloging and the inability to search. All symptoms of a company that doesn't want to focus and spend the resources needed to improve productivity. We could take 1% from upper-mgmts bonuses, invest a tenth of that into a documentation team with the sole purpose of removing dead wood and we would improve productivity of all core employees.

I almost died when I saw a CSA pull up something with ROADs in Excel... W.T.friend.! Not even the pax airlines are that freaking convoluted!

59 Dano

Documentation rot. Incomplete documentation. Useless cataloging and the inability to search. All symptoms of a company that doesn't want to focus and spend the resources needed to improve productivity. We could take 1% from upper-mgmts bonuses, invest a tenth of that into a documentation team with the sole purpose of removing dead wood and we would improve productivity of all core employees.

The IT guys have all the resources they need and then some. Can't tell them anything. They operate for the benefit of the IT guys.