Kim Davis - The Christian Rosa Parks

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Thanks for reaffirming that intelligent life discussion on BC is tough to find, or that, alternatively, everything is a 'hoax'. :devil2:

The Kim Davis news conference/event was like something straight out of the WWF. All that was missing was a spandex-clad opponent. This whole deal makes me question the general intelligence of Americans. It seems pretty low.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The Kim Davis news conference/event was like something straight out of the WWF. All that was missing was a spandex-clad opponent. This whole deal makes me question the general intelligence of Americans. It seems pretty low.

Keep in mind that this is taking place in Kentucky------very few Mensa candidates come from Kentucky.

BrownArmy

So, I'm not a lawyer versed in the music business, but can campaigns just use artists' musical property willy-nilly?

Neil Young didn't like Trump using his content, and REM wrote, basically, a GFU note to anyone using their songs without permission ('It's the end of the world as we know it' at the rally against the Iran deal).

I don't know the answer, and I'm curious.

But in answer to your cogent query, I don't think campaigns should be allowed to play any song they want.

Last edited:

Catatonic

Nine Lives
So, I'm not a lawyer versed in the music business, but can campaigns just use artists' musical property willy-nilly?

Neil Young didn't like Trump using his content, and REM wrote, basically, a GFU note to anyone using their songs without permission ('It's the end of the world as we know it' at the rally against the Iran deal).

I don't know the answer, and I'm curious.

But in answer to your cogent query, I don't think campaigns should be allowed to play any song they want.
IMO, I agree if the song is not released for public use.
Songs are Intellectual Property and should be protected against theft and copyright infringement.
However, just as with a car, frozen pizza, etc., once it is offered to the public for sale, anyone can use for any legal purpose.
Again, just my opinion.

BrownArmy

Songs are Intellectual Property and should be protected against theft and copyright infringement.
However, just as with a car, frozen pizza, etc., once it is offered to the public for sale, anyone can use for any legal purpose.
Again, just my opinion.

You are a best-selling author (in my hypothetical example).

I use a certain passage from one of your widely recognized novels to promote my new-fangled...Slip-and-Slide. How that works, I don't know, bear with me.

You hate Slip-and-Slides with a passion, and here I come, using your copyrighted work to promote my product.

Is it your assertion that (in this example), you have no remedy?

Catatonic

Nine Lives
You are a best-selling author (in my hypothetical example).

I use a certain passage from one of your widely recognized novels to promote my new-fangled...Slip-and-Slide. How that works, I don't know, bear with me.

You hate Slip-and-Slides with a passion, and here I come, using your copyrighted work to promote my product.

Is it your assertion that (in this example), you have no remedy?
It depends on whether the Book has been released or not.
If it has, then anyone can buy the book and use it for their purposes.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
How would you explain her refusal to issue any marriage licenses, straight or same sex?

While on the clock she falls under the purview of her employer and as such must set aside her personal beliefs.

I am an avid non-smoker. New York is smoke free; however, shops that sell tobacco products are exempt. I deliver to a head shop where everyone smokes. Do I have the right while on the clock to refuse to deliver to that stop?
Do they have any cool looking bongs ?

BrownArmy

It depends on whether the Book has been released or not.
If it has, then anyone can buy the book and use it for their purposes.

Certainly you can buy the book, but that doesn't give you license to appropriate passages from said book for your own purposes in the public sphere (short of critical reviews) in a situation where you stand to enjoy some sort of gain.

Sportello

Again, just my opinion.
That's not how it works.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politi...liticians-keep-using-songs-without-permission

Under copyright law, politicians can use any song they want in a political campaign as long as they either obtain a public performance license from a performing rights group such as the American Society of Composers, Authors, and Publishers (ASCAP), or restrict playing the song to venues that already have such a license.

But even if the campaign secures the appropriate license, artists can still object to or sue against the use of their song to protect their brand, legally known as their "right of publicity," which "prevents the unauthorized commercial use of an individual's name, likeness, or other recognizable aspects of their brand or image."

Catatonic

Nine Lives
That's not how it works.

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politi...liticians-keep-using-songs-without-permission

Under copyright law, politicians can use any song they want in a political campaign as long as they either obtain a public performance license from a performing rights group such as the American Society of Composers, Authors, and Publishers (ASCAP), or restrict playing the song to venues that already have such a license.

But even if the campaign secures the appropriate license, artists can still object to or sue against the use of their song to protect their brand, legally known as their "right of publicity," which "prevents the unauthorized commercial use of an individual's name, likeness, or other recognizable aspects of their brand or image."
Thanks ... the public performance license was what I was referencing.
I guess one can sue over anything but in this case it would be a civil suit.

UPS could sue if a movie ever depicts a UPS Driver delivering drugs or having sex.
I have never seen that in a movie.
I have seen thousands of UPS package cars in movies.

wkmac

If you want to know the root source of the crazy $$chitt the muslims are spouting, you don't have to go far. It's likely most everyone reading this has a source copy somewhere in their home and many of you worship it as the absolute spoken and written word of the almighty creator and god of the universe. And the video barely brushes the surface.

And here's another question worth pondering but I'm sure you won't. If you can any time you choose take any given verse that doesn't set well with what you believe or is too uncomfortable to confront and just cast it aside and say it doesn't matter or doesn't apply anymore, then why should I take you serious when you argue to me that other verses do matter? What is to prevent you from waking up tomorrow and start throwing many of those you now believe in out the window as well with an apologetic argument to justify it?

Or this just another "well man changes and so then does god" argument?

Whose leading and creating who here?

And BTW: Last I looked Martin Scheen is a very devote and dedicated Roman Catholic and not some godless, satanic atheist.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
Thanks ... the public performance license was what I was referencing.
I guess one can sue over anything but in this case it would be a civil suit.

UPS could sue if a movie ever depicts a UPS Driver delivering drugs or having sex.
I have never seen that in a movie.
I have seen thousands of UPS package cars in movies.
On a side note ;
A co-worker was chosen to play the part of the UPS Driver in the movie Fever Pitch .
Some of the out take shots were hilarious , Jimmy Fallon actually jumps into the arms of the driver , the driver leaps into Jimmy Fallon arms , and hugs and kisses were done by both .
The real screw up was UPS ; they brought a new uniform and PC not ones from the 80's .
( on another side note ; soon after wards all 3 people I knew to be involved mgr , sup , and driver were all fired . )