Mike R removed from UPS Negotiating Team

F

Frankie's Friend

I honestly don't know why they don't vote on the contract. It doesn't make any sense.
Multiple reasons i believe.
*No faith their vote will count (especially after the last imposition).
*Apathy. A disease people contract when they have it too good too long.
*Disconnected. They don't support the union and they are complacent in their thinking that the union doesn't care about them.
*Weak stewards and BAs. The stewards (and BAs) for their work area should never have their position because they use the position to their own advantage in many ways thus poisoning the members attitide toward the union as a whole.
* Transient workers. Many pt timers are just passing through to get their college degree and many know they'll never be there long enough to bid full time work so the turn over rate also creates apathetic "members".

It truly baffles me.

My Local used to conduct steward elections at the Union hall. There was such

little participation, we convinced the company to allow us to do it at the

facilities. We set up a table near the exit door so members could vote on

their way out. Still.... you have people that will walk by and decline to vote

when you offer them the chance to vote for their steward of choice.

I don't get it.

-Bug-
It's a little embarassing

*Disconnected. They don't support the union and they are complacent in their thinking that the union doesn't care about them.
*Weak stewards and BAs. The stewards (and BAs) for their work area should never have their position because they use the position to their own advantage in many ways thus poisoning the members attitide toward the union as a whole.
* Transient workers. Many pt timers are just passing through to get their college degree and many know they'll never be there long enough to bid full time work so the turn over rate also creates apathetic "members".
Or maybe it's too hard to put two X's on two ballots and shove them in two envelopes.

Maybe we need a voting app?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt

I was going to respond to your post, line by line.

But, after reading it a second time.... I really can't disagree.

It's a little embarassing

Or maybe it's too hard to put two X's on two ballots and shove them in two envelopes.

Maybe we need a voting app?

That's been discussed here before.

My personal concerns were:

1) Cost and maintenance. (You only use it every 5 years)

2) The security of it. (and you will pay a Tech firm for it)

3) The accuracy. (how do you request a duplicate ballot)

If electronically voting, it should be done at the Union Hall or designated places

in control of the IBT (and an outside party administering it) with the right

for any member to observe the process. Kind of like, what we have.

It could happen in the future.... but, not now.

-Bug-

F

Frankie's Friend

I was going to respond to your post, line by line.

But, after reading it a second time.... I really can't disagree.

That's been discussed here before.

My personal concerns were:

1) Cost and maintenance. (You only use it every 5 years)

2) The security of it. (and you will pay a Tech firm for it)

3) The accuracy. (how do you request a duplicate ballot)

If electronically voting, it should be done at the Union hall or designated places

in control of the IBT (and an outside party administering it) with the right

for any member to observe the process. Kind of like, what we have.

It could happen in the future.... but, not now.

-Bug-
Maybe posting the company's initial proposals would wake folks up from their apathetic slumber?
It is up to good and honest stewards to be active informational sources from day one or it may go a direction that may not be easy to turn around. Im not going to be detailed on here for obvious reasons.

ski or die

Ski or Die
Are you a Steward ?

If not.... Why not ?
Maybe the company approached him as they did me. Right after I was elected steward they called me in the office, if I played along with the company and their games, life would be easy for me, if not, they would make it very difficult for me. When I retired, I believe I was put on the do not rehire list. And they did make it difficult for me. But, just made me work harder to make sure they followed the contract and slow down their harassment of my fellow employees. It was stressful, but watching them pull their crap on fellow employees over the years with a weak steward and BA make me that much more determined.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Maybe the company approached him as they did me. Right after I was elected steward they called me in the office, if I played along with the company and their games, life would be easy for me, if not, they would make it very difficult for me.

And, you told them FU.... right ?

When I retired, I believe I was put on the do not rehire list.

So what.

That would be a "badge of honor".

Who gives a :censored2: what the company thinks, after you retire.

And they did make it difficult for me. But, just made me work harder to make sure they followed the contract and slow down their harassment of my fellow employees. It was stressful, but watching them pull their crap on fellow employees over the years with a weak steward and BA make me that much more determined.

Wait....

You said, you were the Steward ?

Right ?

-Bug-

F

Frankie's Friend

Maybe the company approached him as they did me. Right after I was elected steward they called me in the office, if I played along with the company and their games, life would be easy for me, if not, they would make it very difficult for me. When I retired, I believe I was put on the do not rehire list. And they did make it difficult for me. But, just made me work harder to make sure they followed the contract and slow down their harassment of my fellow employees. It was stressful, but watching them pull their crap on fellow employees over the years with a weak steward and BA make me that much more determined.
Im sickofthat too.

ski or die

Ski or Die
And, you told them FU.... right ?
Nope. Wouldn't lower myself to their level. Filed 1st grievance a couple days later which we won. Continued to force them to honor contract.
So what.

That would be a "badge of honor".

Who gives a :censored2: what the company thinks, after you retire.
I remember being in the office with the manager and the manager was being a real d&$@, I told the manager, "you know when my time comes and they have my funeral, I have made a lot of friends around here and they will show their respects at my funeral, how many do you think will come to yours?" And as far as rehire, I wouldn't give it a thought of going back for Xmas seasonal help. But, they haven't asked. Afraid I will start s*%& again I guess.
Wait....

You said, you were the Steward ?

Right ?
Yep. Been retired almost 20 years. Paid my dues and stood up to the company and our weak BA proudly while there.