need advice: footwear and management problem

Mst3k

The company doesn't provide footwear. If you can't come to work ready for the day, find another job.
Nah, I'll go to work. If you want to end up paying me to take the day off, that's up to you. The only way that grievance doesn't pay is if I was wearing sandals.

Coldworld

The company doesn't provide footwear. If you can't come to work ready for the day, find another job.
Kinda tough to buy a "decent" pair of boots when you are making 10.00 an hour... which equal poverty wages.... a billion dollar multinational company is paying "part time" employees close to minimum wage....way to go ups!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Kinda tough to buy a "decent" pair of boots when you are making 10.00 an hour... which equal poverty wages.... a billion dollar multinational company is paying "part time" employees close to minimum wage....way to go ups!!

We are not talking about Redwings------Walmart sells "decent" work boots for about $30.

PT Car Washer

And a lot of the blame goes to the Union and its members for allowing PT poverty wages.

Thekid25

The standard I've always used in arguing it is inside employees not drivers have to wear a sturdy work shoe. That doesn't mean you can only wear boots my buildings has try to pull that

10 Pt

there is a footwear portion of the dress code that applies to insiders, it's the same as drivers

honestly it's a dumb rule because:
1. most managers interpret it to mean you have to wear boots, which is not accurate

2. your chance of injury is greater wearing heavier shoes that wear out your ankles or heels than the chance of you dropping something on your feet
The guidelines on the sheet they give new employees says "work boots" not shoes.

10 Pt

And a lot of the blame goes to the Union and its members for allowing PT poverty wages.
And the part timers for not voting for their own issues.
That s wouldn't fly here... easy "paid" day off... no question about that and just another black mark under said managers name....
What do you bet they'd never try that with drivers reporting to work? We all know that answer and the guidelines are similar.
Send 50+ drivers home and that supe would be on a packet if he even had a job at the end of the day.

Had a operations sort manager stand outside the guard shack and turn away any employee not in proper footwear, refusing to work them. My b.a. agrees the employees should have worn proper footwear, but he feels the manager handled it the wrong way by refusing to work these employees.. so I hung around the manager to take the names of everyone he refused to work, So they could file to get paid for the day.. 3 questions..
How should have the manager handled the situation?
Are these grievances winnable?
Does an operations manager also have to wear the proper footwear?
Talk to your shop steward its recommend not required my shop steward told me that never wore boots again an she told the fulltime that sup an i was never botherd again she told him to send half of pre load home then becuse they all wear tennis shoes i see the ft sup almost every day an he just stares at me

22.34life

There is no contract language regarding footwear.if the company turns anyone away or sends them home they will win the grievance.i have got many people paid for this.

22.34life

TIR was spot on------if the employees were thoroughly briefed on the policy regarding proper footwear and were given a reasonable period of time in which they could "go shopping" in order to comply and they in essence blew off the directive the manager has every right to send them home.

I'll bet tomorrow's check that each and every one of the employees who were sent home will be in full compliance tomorrow morning.
man who's side are u on.your right the company has every right to send them home and we have every right to get them paid for every minute.we have a disciplinary process in place and sending people home is not part of it

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

man who's side are u on.your right the company has every right to send them home and we have every right to get them paid for every minute.we have a disciplinary process in place and sending people home is not part of it

It's not a matter of sides.

It is quite simple---wear the proper shoes or get sent home.