New branding!

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Why are you guys still entertaining that we will become like UPS? no way will i loop around in circles to deliver NDAs then double back to deliver ground... unless im paid like a UPS driver, which won't happen anytime soon

dmac1

You'll do whatever you have to do to get a paycheck. As long as you aren't working more hours, why would you care if you drive around in circles????????

Star B

White Lightening
It would have no effect.
companies like SWIFT, CR England, and Schneider have the guys sign contracts when they get trained for their CDL.... there's not any trade secrets there.

They don't sign non-compete, they sign training repayment forms, basically saying that if they quit before 2 years or (whatever), they gotta pay back their training.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Taking express freight and time commitments would lengthen his day.

Winner .... unless that NDA time commitments are lifted and treated just like a date certain parcel, then it can happen. Im close to 12 hours already in my rural route and this is non peak. Its not gonna happen if you don't increase the pay to at least be competitive with UPS wages. Go find a sucker to do that.

At HD, we pre load our trucks for free, while express couriers get paid once they are in the building sorting~ loading their freight into those skinny freighliner cargovans.

Our drives to the first stop & our RTB is not paid, while express gets paid for all hours on the road...

The good thing is it's stress free (for my route) to go do my own thing which is to try to "clean plate" and go straight home with the truck.

Calculating the flat rate fee just so i can break even with an entry level auto parts driver (cough min wage ) is a bit wrong.

Unless you want a bottom of the barrel driver that you have to babysit everyday x20-30-50 routes ... youll need to increase that wage to be competitive with UPS.

Last edited:

dvalleyjim

Looks like they are phasing out Express and going to go with all contracted service providers. Ground will begin to take second and third day. Then they will eventually move next day over. This will take some time to happen. Probably ten years to completely convert. They also will be realigning delivery areas so big CSP will have adjacent pick up and delivery areas. bye-bye you guys who banded together and/or have some other CSP's between your areas. The older express drivers will be offered a buy out and the newer ones will have to work for Iwbf or the other dude.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Thank you, counsel.

I worked in an industry that is rife with non-competes and have signed a few. Going from one contractor to another, with each having his own routes delivering packages for the same company, is not an issue of competition.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Looks like they are phasing out Express and going to go with all contracted service providers.

And by "phasing out," you mean "adding more routes, adding more vehicles to cover the routes, and adding more employees to drive the vehicles, to deal with the increases in Express freight," right?

bacha29

Looks like they are phasing out Express and going to go with all contracted service providers. Ground will begin to take second and third day. Then they will eventually move next day over. This will take some time to happen. Probably ten years to completely convert. They also will be realigning delivery areas so big CSP will have adjacent pick up and delivery areas. bye-bye you guys who banded together and/or have some other CSP's between your areas. The older express drivers will be offered a buy out and the newer ones will have to work for Iwbf or the other dude.
DVJ pretty much nailed it The transfer will be done in an incremental fashion. Take one piece of Express's business turn it over to CSP/ISP's see how they do with it. Once that part is up and going in a satisfactory manner, they break off another piece and give it to them. Completing the conversion in 10 years is probably the maximum timeline . Rest assured if they can do it in less time it will happen and bringing downward pressure on CSP/ISP settlements will create more margin pressure thereby making CSP/ISP's more receptive to taking Express boxes just to get the cash flow in an effort to keep their heads above water. And I agree, once the management level buyouts are competed the offer will be extended to X drivers and based on the numbers I read being offered to managers the offer that will be made to drivers will be nothing but short of insulting. In the meantime if you are an X jock within 10 years of retirement you should be ok. Less than 10 years of service move on to something else. If you are in the middle you are the most vulnerable. If you are a CSP/ISP then plan on a 300% increase in the size of your operation with returns maybe 15% higher than they currently are.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
companies like SWIFT, CR England, and Schneider have the guys sign contracts when they get trained for their CDL.... there's not any trade secrets there.

They don't sign non-compete, they sign training repayment forms, basically saying that if they quit before 2 years or (whatever), they gotta pay back their training.

These have repeatedly been shot down as unenforceable, especially in today's market for OTR drivers. These companies are all famous for selling the joys of OTR trucking, and they forget to mention things like forced dispatch, not getting home for a month, waiting at a shipper for a day not getting paid etc. That's why so many quit.

FedEx tried to do the same thing with CTV training. Illegal.

It will be fine

These have repeatedly been shot down as unenforceable, especially in today's market for OTR drivers. These companies are all famous for selling the joys of OTR trucking, and they forget to mention things like forced dispatch, not getting home for a month, waiting at a shipper for a day not getting paid etc. That's why so many quit.

FedEx tried to do the same thing with CTV training. Illegal.
For the purpose an agreement like that was brought up here, it's ability to be enforced is likely not important. If a driver with no experience is asked to sign one before he's trained and hired he'll believe he has to follow it. It can serve its purpose without actually having to try to sue a former employee.

bacha29

For the purpose an agreement like that was brought up here, it's ability to be enforced is likely not important. If a driver with no experience is asked to sign one before he's trained and hired he'll believe he has to follow it. It can serve its purpose without actually having to try to sue a former employee.
If the training and employment is a step up for the individual especially from a pay perspective most will honor the agreement. On the other hand if the quality of the daily work experience is intolerable and the pay sucks they'll walk out no matter what the terms say. In most cases they don't own anything of value so suing them is pointless. Therefore what is quite obvious is that you don't train anymore people than you need for yourself and keep the pay as high as any other contractor. Let those other contractors do what they need to meet their own manpower requirements. In that particular contractor environment that is permeated with treachery deception betrayal and lies not just between contractors and management but between contractors themselves, what duty and obligation do you have to do anything to preserve and protect the interests of other contractors? Especially those who never have and never will do anything in the behalf of yours.

dmac1

Taking express freight and time commitments would lengthen his day.

Whats more likely is that the ISP will hire additional drivers from the additional revenue and the drivers won't work any additional hours, or with the additional revenue, of course will pay the driver a higher per diem if the work day is longer.

MAKAVELI

Whats more likely is that the ISP will hire additional drivers from the additional revenue and the drivers won't work any additional hours, or with the additional revenue, of course will pay the driver a higher per diem if the work day is longer.
Cool story bro.:cool:

dmac1

Winner .... unless that NDA time commitments are lifted and treated just like a date certain parcel, then it can happen. Im close to 12 hours already in my rural route and this is non peak. Its not gonna happen if you don't increase the pay to at least be competitive with UPS wages. Go find a sucker to do that.

At HD, we pre load our trucks for free, while express couriers get paid once they are in the building sorting~ loading their freight into those skinny freighliner cargovans.

Our drives to the first stop & our RTB is not paid, while express gets paid for all hours on the road...

The good thing is it's stress free (for my route) to go do my own thing which is to try to "clean plate" and go straight home with the truck.

Calculating the flat rate fee just so i can break even with an entry level auto parts driver (cough min wage ) is a bit wrong.

Unless you want a bottom of the barrel driver that you have to babysit everyday x20-30-50 routes ... youll need to increase that wage to be competitive with UPS.

The ISP will be paid more for delivering express, and either pay the current drivers more, or hire more drivers to keep the workload reasonable. The ISP does not have a fixed daily pay from Fedex. Since the ISP is paid more, if the drivers need more time to deliver, they will be paid more. Very few ISPs want their drivers unhappy so they will in most cases increase compensation to the driver as the workload increases. I know I paid my drivers more if they went over and above the normal daily volume even though I also paid a set daily rate.

You don't need to raise the hourly rate to UPS levels if you ask your driver to work an extra hour, or if you hire an additional driver to spread the load out. It is just ridiculous to think you'll suddenly need to raise wage from around $12 an hour to UPS level.

bbsam

Staff member
I imagine there are such clauses in the ISP Agreement as well. I know courts have started to take a severe dislike towards arbitration clauses.

vantexan

If Ground took everything but next day they'd have to eliminate the 35 hr guarantee as most of us would be lucky to get 30 hrs. Speculate all you want, not likely.

bacha29

If Ground took everything but next day they'd have to eliminate the 35 hr guarantee as most of us would be lucky to get 30 hrs. Speculate all you want, not likely.
Ever hear of something called early retirement package? Or how about a thing called layoffs? Do you actually think that so called " 35 hour guarantee" is actually binding? As any individual who has been involved with Ground will tell you.When it comes to Fedex........NOTHING"S BINDING.