New branding!

McFeely

Huge Member
As a side note, I will sometimes take a walk-up Ground package, but never at a business, we've been instructed not to take Ground.

I take 'em all the time unless it's a bulky amount of them. But, I run into the Ground guy at my last stop everyday so I just give it to him there.

When I had a different route, I would still take them but I politely told the customer that it wouldn't be going out that night as I make it back to the station after our Ground freight is picked up. I figure it's not the customer's fault that our opcos are confusing. All they want is their :censored2: picked up, and I always felt like it was pretty lame to see a G package sitting at the front desk for a week straight. Not that tough to please a customer in this job, really.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
I take 'em all the time unless it's a bulky amount of them. But, I run into the Ground guy at my last stop everyday so I just give it to him there.

When I had a different route, I would still take them but I politely told the customer that it wouldn't be going out that night as I make it back to the station after our Ground freight is picked up. I figure it's not the customer's fault that our opcos are confusing. All they want is their :censored2: picked up, and I always felt like it was pretty lame to see a G package sitting at the front desk for a week straight. Not that tough to please a customer in this job, really.
No longer our job to please everybody's customer. Our job is to hit SPH and Return to Building times. Those are the metrics that keep you in the job.

dmac1

As of right now, if you need a widget made in Seattle by 1030 tomorrow morning in Atlanta, you have to go with Express. Only Express is doing that, and there's absolutely nothing happening right now that will change that. Express may eventually use smaller planes as Ground dominates regional overnight, but there will be an Express service for customers who have to have expedited national service.

But once that package gets to Atlanta, it will be a be a ground driver hired by an ISP who delivers it. The service will still be around, the express employee drivers won't be.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
No longer our job to please everybody's customer. Our job is to hit SPH and Return to Building times. Those are the metrics that keep you in the job.

Exactly. Service is secondary to the metric dictates of Memphis, which make no sense in the real world where the customer expects premium service for the premium price (plus fuel surcharge) they paid.

When something goes awry (quite often), the customer will usually get some form of lie from either a CSA or the Customer Service number. "Jes, deez is Juan in Santo Domingo, and I'm happy to report your package has been delivered, but not to your address. Can you pleez go get it?"

Gone fishin

Service isn't secondary at our place. I don't know about yours. Ground will never deliver any of express. No way in the world. It's to important

It will be fine

Service isn't secondary at our place. I don't know about yours. Ground will never deliver any of express. No way in the world. It's to important
That's basically what we're all talking about. There is a lot of volume in the express network that isn't very important. It's just being shipped and delivered at a ridiculous cost both to the corporation and its customers. When the organic growth in the industry starts to slow expect fedex to look to internal solutions to continue to increase profits.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I cant wait to bring this thread back 5 years from now, the best part is essentially nothing will have changed by that point

Funny you should mention that! This time 4 years ago we were led to believe by a couple of posters that news of the "big changeover" (dubbed "the October Surprise" by none other than MF himself) was going to be announced at the Sept 24 shareholders' meeting. Just like now, there were pages and pages of posts going into great detail to explain how it was all going to happen.

This was the best thread of them all:
How about some rampant speculation?

When it didn't happen, MF and his cohort took a break from the site (imagine that!). MF returned with a new angle: the plan had simply been delayed until after peak 2012. THEN it would happen (and us doubters would be eating our words): The Plan is Still a Go

You don't have to wait 5 years. You can go back to 2012 (and earlier) because we've been down this path before, only we didn't have bacha's keen analysis back then.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Ford knew that, and actually paid his workers enough to buy the product, even though at that time the auto was a luxury item.

That was pure Henry Ford PR at work. For one, it's a theory that doesn't make any sense. For two, it was an effort to combat the more than 200% turnover rate at his plants.

Tax cuts for the wealthy over the past 3 decades has accomplished nothing but huge deficits for the country.

Two problems with that argument. Tax cuts don't, and can't, cause deficits because a deficit is the result of spending. The other is that those dastardly Reagan tax cuts produced 19 consecutive years of increased federal tax revenue.

The invested back into their business, saved on taxes, but in general had to live a slightly more modest lifestyle, while the profit went into buying new equipment, expanding, and yes, paying higher wages to attract better talent. The investment in facilities, equipment, expansion and personnel created jobs to fill those investments, and thus created demand for goods.

You don't realize it, but you just made the argument for tax cuts. I KNEW YOU'D CATCH ON!

dmac1

That was pure Henry Ford PR at work. For one, it's a theory that doesn't make any sense. For two, it was an effort to combat the more than 200% turnover rate at his plants.

Two problems with that argument. Tax cuts don't, and can't, cause deficits because a deficit is the result of spending. The other is that those dastardly Reagan tax cuts produced 19 consecutive years of increased federal tax revenue.

You don't realize it, but you just made the argument for tax cuts. I KNEW YOU'D CATCH ON!

dmac1

Taxcuts don't cause deficits, spending does.

Are you math challenged? When the economy is growing, and tax revenues increasing, you can spend more every year without increasing the deficit. If you cut back on the tax revenue, you cause the deficit. If you are mentally up to it, you can look at a chart comparing tax rates with deficits, and since the Reagan tax cuts, and the Bush cuts, you will see a direct correlation. The higher tax rates almost forced investment, which increased employment, and allowed more spending by the gov, which furthered growth by spending on projects like the interstate highway system and the space program. Those programs employed tens of thousands in good paying jobs, with some of the money spent being directly returned by way of income taxes.

You seem to think that the wealthy create demand simply by being rich, when the truth is that unless that wealth is directed into industry or expansion, buying a garage full of classic cars or building the biggest mansion does almost nothing for the economy at large.

Exec32

The whole class action came down to how much entrepreneurial opportunity was available. Even you must admit that having multiple routes, multiple vehicles, and multiple drivers gives you much more opportunity to be a real entrepreneur. You just seem like you don't want ot be a real business, you'd rather whine about what you can't do.
Fedex does not want me to be a real business. Make no mistake, X created a contract to enforce complete control over anyone who signed it.
Please, don't use the Same tired response that " I signed it", that is not the point. The point is that this should not be allowed to continue these tactics. Im all for independent contracting, free enterprise, and entrepreneurial opportunities, X not so much...

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Fedex does not want me to be a real business. Make no mistake, X created a contract to enforce complete control over anyone who signed it.
Please, don't use the Same tired response that " I signed it", that is not the point. The point is that this should not be allowed to continue these tactics. Im all for independent contracting, free enterprise, and entrepreneurial opportunities, X not so much...

Perhaps you should look for another business investment.