New England Contract - How long are part-timers required to work?

LarryBird

But on a serious note:
If working past like 6 hours or whatever is a true problem for you, go to your FT sort supervisor and talk to him about it. 99% of the time they will make every possible effort to work with you as long as you approach them with respect and it's legitimate.

PT Car Washer

Where do you get that number ?

In most buildings, you'd be lucky if 10% of the part-timers even had a 2nd job.

Demand ?

I'd like to be there, to watch that.
Where did you find the 10% number? Did you do a nation wide survey? My building has the same problem with forcing both PT and 22.3 air drivers to deliver ground during the week. 10 to 13 hours a day.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I took a look at the contract and there is no mention of how long part-timers are required to work, intentionally vague, I'm sure. I was always told that i can leave after 5 hours, however transferring to a smaller building, they said they could make me stay until the work is finished. I'm hearing horror stories of peak season where they don't leave until 2:30 AM. I did not sign up for 9 hour shifts. I have other priorities. Anyone know?
Check your state laws. Most allow meal time if worked X number of hours. You may be forced to stay until you force the issue of getting deserved breaks and/or lunch.

PT Car Washer

Check your state laws. Most allow meal time if worked X number of hours. You may be forced to stay until you force the issue of getting deserved breaks and/or lunch.
I live in a Right To work state and have no protection and the Union steward told me we do not work in the classification for a meal break.

Tom Jefferson

I just got hired and in my building they said PT turns into FT during peak, and that it’s required. At least, that’s what HR said upon hiring.

LarryBird

I just got hired and in my building they said PT turns into FT during peak, and that it’s required. At least, that’s what HR said upon hiring.
Hired as a driver or inside the building?

Because yes, cover drivers work full-time hours during peak for sure - it's all hands on deck.

Tom Jefferson

Hired as a driver or inside the building?

Because yes, cover drivers work full-time hours during peak for sure - it's all hands on deck.
PT for loader/unloader. I’m not sure if the area I’m in has anything to do with it. If everything Goes as planned I want to air drive or something before Christmas

LarryBird

PT for loader/unloader. I’m not sure if the area I’m in has anything to do with it. If everything Goes as planned I want to air drive or something before Christmas
You will not work 40 hours per week in the building as long as you're working just a single sort, but you will see a marked increase in hours between black friday and Christmas day. Hitting 30 hours, or slightly above, would not be unheard of, depending on your building and how prepared they are for peak.

Tom Jefferson

You will not work 40 hours per week in the building as long as you're working just a single sort, but you will see a marked increase in hours between black friday and Christmas day. Hitting 30 hours, or slightly above, would not be unheard of, depending on your building and how prepared they are for peak.
But if I want to am I able to hit 40? I’m going to assume she said that knowing our turnover rate is horrendous or something? Especially probably around that time. No clue just taking a wild guess.

LarryBird

But if I want to am I able to hit 40? I’m going to assume she said that knowing our turnover rate is horrendous or something? Especially probably around that time. No clue just taking a wild guess.
Yes, if you want 40 hours during peak, you will have no trouble getting them. It will not be on a single sort, because once the sort is over it's over, and there's no more work left there for you to do. But there will be plenty of on road driver helper hours to go around, if you choose to take them.

You'll need to take your own vehicle to meet a driver on his area, and then you'll hop in with him and run the packages off while he remains in the truck to sort it and set up the next stops. You shouldn't have a problem getting 30 hours of driver helper work per week if you want them.

So I'd estimate that you'll be able to get around 60 hours weekly if you want. But be careful what you wish for, homes. It's not like either of those jobs are a picnic - the sort blows, and they get 8 hours worth of work at any other normal job out of you in 4 or 5 hours. The driver helper job is considerably easier than the sort, and most drivers are cool and will make the time half-enjoyable for you and buy you coffees/lunch or whatever, but you are out in the elements and if it's cold and wet where you are, then it's a bitch to be trudging through the snow for like $9 per hour. Especially while the guy sitting next to you and staying warm in the truck is making $37 per hour.

Enjoy. Peak is a wonderful time of year. We all look forward to it.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Generally there are safeguards that make it unprofitable, for a variety of reasons, for the company to work PT longer than 5-6 hours.
The big stick usually is the position defaults to a FT 22.3 job if the work is not capable of being broken down into less hours or if the equivalent of a double shift is enforced.
Makes you wonder, some of the things PT employees should have been demanding. Especially since the 6th-7th hour onward feels like an eternity inside. It's something I never experience working 7 hours as a driver helper after 7 hours of preload, monotomy.