New Video! Layoffs!

Cowboy Mac

Ours are Laid off. Inside rate for part-timers is between $21 and $22 an hour here because of the MRA. The company is paying laid off drivers MRA so none of them are really losing anything as far as hourly rate.
That’s screwed up. They’re not Part Timers, they’re full time combination drivers and should be paid the 22.4 rate.

542thruNthru

No 22.4 is actually laid off. They are combination drivers, so inside work is part of their classification. Therefore they keep the same pay whether driving or in the building.
Exactly.
The panel sees no difference between a 22.4 in the building or driving. The only difference would be the overtime made while driving. If a junior 22.4 is making more hours driving a package car while you’re barely getting your 8 in the building, file a grievance to be paid the difference.
Your supp doesn't have anything about center seniority for 22.4s? I'm assuming this has already been taken to panel? Was it deadlocked or was it sent to arbitration? Doesn't the Southern have a sitting Arbitrator? I'd hate to think the union agreed that a lesser seniority 22.4 gets to drive if the company chooses.

542thruNthru

That’s screwed up. They’re not Part Timers, they’re full time combination drivers and should be paid the 22.4 rate.
If they are truly laid off than that's how it goes. Just like if a 22.3 is laid off. If part of your combo is gone then the company can exercise their right to lay you off.

So if 22.4s have no driving at all then they will be laid off and have to do 2 part time positions.

Cowboy Mac

Exactly.

Your supp doesn't have anything about center seniority for 22.4s? I'm assuming this has already been taken to panel? Was it deadlocked or was it sent to arbitration? Doesn't the Southern have a sitting Arbitrator? I'd hate to think the union agreed that a lesser seniority 22.4 gets to drive if the company chooses.
According to our BA, a 22.4 is a 22.4 no matter what job he’s doing (driving or inside work) and the panel said they keep their 22.4 rate even when working over 7 days in the building. That 7 day layoff language applies to RPCDs.

Seniority always rules but filing on the overtime is how you get them because the company always violates seniority.
If they are truly laid off then that's how it goes. Just like if a 22.3 is laid off. If part of your combo is gone then the company can exercise their right to lay you off.

So if 22.4s have no driving at all then they will be laid off and have to do 2 part time positions.
Our argument here is that the 22.4 was never meant to drive all the time, so they are not considered “laid off”. If the bottom Part Time employee doesn’t have work, he will be “laid off”.

542thruNthru

According to our BA, a 22.4 is a 22.4 no matter what job he’s doing (driving or inside work) and the panel said they keep their 22.4 rate even when working over 7 days in the building. That 7 day layoff language applies to RPCDs.

Seniority always rules but filing on the overtime is how you get them because the company always violates seniority.

Our argument here is that the 22.4 was never meant to drive all the time, so they are not considered “laid off”. If the bottom Part Time employee doesn’t have work, he will be “laid off”.
So you're saying an RPCD can be laid off and do 2 PT shifts and make less than a 22.4 because he is not a 22.4 and 22.4s can never be laid off.

Cowboy Mac

So you're saying an RPCD can be laid off and do 2 PT shifts and make less than a 22.4 because he is not a 22.4 and 22.4s can never be laid off.
First of all, for a RPCD to be laid off, you would have to have the entire bottom 25% of your center working in the building, ZERO 22.4s or TCDs driving.

After 7 days, the RPCD would get the inside full time rate. Remember they get slotted into progression.

The lowest paying top rate for inside work right now is car washer ($39.45+COLA). Top rate for a 22.4 is $34.79+COLA.

It’s possible but highly unlikely. You would have to have a topped out 22.4 (I haven’t met one yet), and a laid off RPCD that’s still in progression, both working in the building at the same time.

Thebrownblob

Central region just called them “full-time seniority” laid off employees

1677449770220.png

Cowboy Mac

Central region just called them “full-time seniority” laid off employees

View attachment 419156
Southern has Article 48 which has layoff language for full time employees other than feeder drivers. That is where the 7 days then inside rate language is. However, later in Article 48 is the 22.4 language which is mostly a copy paste of the full time employee language, except it’s missing the 7 days then inside rate language.

542thruNthru

First of all, for a RPCD to be laid off, you would have to have the entire bottom 25% of your center working in the building, ZERO 22.4s or TCDs driving.
Which is happening in some areas.
After 7 days, the RPCD would get the inside full time rate. Remember they get slotted into progression.

The lowest paying top rate for inside work right now is car washer ($39.45+COLA). Top rate for a 22.4 is $34.79+COLA.
Where is that in your language? I'm seeing they will displace 2 PTers. Pters do not have a progression.
"An employee on a layoff (lasting more than seven (7) days) shall receive appropriate wages and benefits for the job performed based on their seniority."
It’s possible but highly unlikely. You would have to have a topped out 22.4 (I haven’t met one yet), and a laid off RPCD that’s still in progression, both working in the building at the same time.
We have a bunch of top rate 22.4s but that's because their cover driver time counts towards their progression here.

Cowboy Mac

Where is that in your language? I'm seeing they will displace 2 PTers. Pters do not have a progression.
"An employee on a layoff (lasting more than seven (7) days) shall receive appropriate wages and benefits for the job performed based on their seniority."

We have a bunch of top rate 22.4s but that's because their cover driver time counts towards their progression here.
Article 59 Section 3 lists the current top rates for all classifications. Full Time Inside Wage Progression.

Article 48 Section 11-22.4 Full Time Combination Package Car Driver. They have their own section that does not have the 7 day layoff language.
You are reading Article 48 Section 5.

That top rate 22.4 is some California stuff. Most of our 22.4s have made RPCD after 1 or 2 years. I’m sure one exists here but I would think it’s rare to find a 22.4 that turns down RPCD.

Cowboy Mac

Also see Article 22.4(9)
701DB02B-2B62-42C8-AA8A-692D917FA04B.png

And Article 41 Section 2(b) -
19B1105D-4214-4AC2-BBB7-C2445C4331A8.png

Last edited:

542thruNthru

Just because you’re laid off doesn’t make you part time again. You are full time you get paid full time rate.
Agree to disagree. Yes you're not pt that's why you get the choice to do 2 different pt jobs on two different shifts. The last sentence literally says An employee on a layoff (lasting more than seven (7) days) shall receive appropriate wages and benefits for the job performed based on their seniority.

you're performing 2 pt jobs. You also displace the lowest pt person. Your FT which means you get full time hours if you elect to have them.
Also see Article 22.4(9)View attachment 419162

And Article 41 Section 2(b) - View attachment 419163
Lmao! Why are you posting this! You literally just said 22.4s can't be laid off. Also you're being laid off you're not moving into another full time position and trying to qualify. You're being given the change to keep working fulltime hours by your seniority instead of being literally laid off as in ON THE STREET.

Anyways. Like I said agree to disagree. 22.4s can't be laid off and if a RPCD gets laid off he's now a full time combo or 22.2 some how.

542thruNthru

So if 22.4s can not be laid off does this language mean they literally can not work at UPS at all till all RPCDs are working again?

"4. No RPCD shall be laid off or displaced from the classification while 22.4 combination drivers are working in the building"

Cowboy Mac

Agree to disagree. Yes you're not pt that's why you get the choice to do 2 different pt jobs on two different shifts. The last sentence literally says An employee on a layoff (lasting more than seven (7) days) shall receive appropriate wages and benefits for the job performed based on their seniority.

you're performing 2 pt jobs. You also displace the lowest pt person. Your FT which means you get full time hours if you elect to have them.
I disagree to disagree. The 7 day language doesn’t even apply to 22.4s. You didn’t read Section 11 and notice the same layoff language except it’s missing the 7 day language. Panel has already ruled on it according to my BA. Why would you want a full timer getting paid like a part timer? You sound like a UPS labor manager right now.

Lmao! Why are you posting this! You literally just said 22.4s can't be laid off. Also you're being laid off you're not moving into another full time position and trying to qualify. You're being given the change to keep working fulltime hours by your seniority instead of being literally laid off as in ON THE STREET.
The whole point of posting that language is to show that you can’t be forced to go through a progression more than once. By the way, 2 part time jobs is a full time job if you put them together and one person works it. What do you think a combo job is?
Anyways. Like I said agree to disagree. 22.4s can't be laid off and if a RPCD gets laid off he's now a full time combo or 22.2 some how.

Cowboy Mac

So if 22.4s can not be laid off does this language mean they literally can not work at UPS at all till all RPCDs are working again?

"4. No RPCD shall be laid off or displaced from the classification while 22.4 combination drivers are working in the building"
You tell me how we can have a Combination Full Time Driver that is supposed to be half in the building half driving, the company uses them all a full driving when it benefits them, but when they’re full time in the building, now they’re classified differently? I would think it works both ways.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
You tell me how we can have a Combination Full Time Driver that is supposed to be half in the building half driving, the company uses them all a full driving when it benefits them, but when they’re full time in the building, now they’re classified differently? I would think it works both ways.
Combo FT Driver can screw up someone's load then not do call tags, all in one day!

Cowboy Mac

How literal do you want to take it? Because it says in the building. All the 22.4 language sucks but you need to abuse the language to our benefit, not the company’s benefit.

542thruNthru

I agree it's BS but seriously I would love to see the panel decisions on national language saying 22.4s can not be laid off and will make their 22.4 rates at all times. This would be huge for the whole country.