New Video! Layoffs!

Thebrownblob

Good video as usual. Although I have successfully argued that 22.4 layoffs absolutely should go by seniority. Even if a 22.4 chooses to work in the building that is still not within their classification of combo work. Not to mention Here they are required to take a 90 minute lunch versus 30 min lunch when driving.

ManInBrown

The company thinks by painting a doom and gloom picture it will help with negotiations. I wouldn’t even put it past them to eat a terrible year of revenue for a bigger goal.

Thebrownblob

The company thinks by painting a doom and gloom picture it will help with negotiations. I wouldn’t even put it past them to eat a terrible year of revenue for a bigger goal.
The idea that these layoffs have never happened, is curious to me. 2000 to 2003 I spent January through March sometimes trickling into April as a laid off package car driver. I agree these layoffs has not happened in the last three or four years, a lot of that was because of Covid and people staying home and ordering like crazy. Is the company using this situation to the advantage for the contract? Of course they are. Everyone remain calm and use the contract and your supplemental language to hold the company’s feet to the fire.

ManInBrown

The idea that these layoffs have never happened, is curious to me. 2000 to 2003 I spent January through March sometimes trickling into April as a laid off package car driver. I agree these layoffs has not happened in the last three or four years, a lot of that was because of Covid and people staying home and ordering like crazy. Is the company using this situation to the advantage for the contract? Of course they are. Everyone remain calm and use the contract and your supplemental language to hold the company’s feet to the fire.
Yup. Happens every year in feeders. We have 300+ drivers and I think somewhere around 12-15 are laid off this coming week and even that is only because of the amount of drivers on vacation. They just don’t need everyone so the bottom don’t work. They can choose inside hub, pallet dock, or layoff. But we also don’t have that on call nonsonse. Set weekly start time guaranteed 8 hours. The only time I don’t remember layoffs happening in feeders was either last year, or the year before and that was because of Covid. It’s harder to see layoffs in package because everyday drivers take the day and go home. I don’t think we ever had “official” layoffs in my time in package. No one in feeders comes to work and goes home like package. It’s a completely different operation.

HavenoEDD

Timing is everything. Many laid off last year and it didn’t take a genius to know this was coming in a contract year.
They maybe back when vacations start but the lower seniority drivers will probably be out for a while. Company would like to see these drivers quit so they can trim the fat from all the Covid hiring.
Company also hopes this creates driver vs driver hostility and when strike comes those who have been laid off for months will vote yes to the first thing the company throws at the union.
Really hope the union makes an effort to get these drivers aware of what’s truly happening.
Great video Dave.

ManInBrown

Timing is everything. Many laid off last year and it didn’t take a genius to know this was coming in a contract year.
They maybe back when vacations start but the lower seniority drivers will probably be out for a while. Company would like to see these drivers quit so they can trim the fat from all the Covid hiring.
Company also hopes this creates driver vs driver hostility and when strike comes those who have been laid off for months will vote yes to the first thing the company throws at the union.
Really hope the union makes an effort to get these drivers aware of what’s truly happening.
Great video Dave.
Creating the 22.4 position was always about dividing the workforce and making people angry. Sure when they first got the job they’d be thrilled, but then complacency would set in and they would become angry that the driver next to them in the lineup got paid a wage they would never make to do the same job. Win win for the company.

Family

COVID pushed ahead future consumption, which drove the over hiring. Combine that with negative growth government policies and you have 2023 UPS layoffs.
What is amazing is that the corporate woke management supported the current administration election campaign.
Strange bedfellows indeed.

Pullman Brown

Which is why I don’t like five year contracts. So much can happen within that span of time. The circumstances the year of the contract should not dictate a five year time span. 2007- 2013 they did not hire one RPCD in my building. Times have been worse. The Union has to hold the line and not be manipulated with the economy is in a downturn talk. If it’s that bad then fine will do a one year contract and see you again next year.

Thebrownblob

Which is why I don’t like five year contracts. So much can happen within that span of time. The circumstances the year of the contract should not dictate a five year time span. 2007- 2013 they did not hire one RPCD in my building. Times have been worse. The Union has to hold the line and not be manipulated with the economy is in a downturn talk. If it’s that bad then fine will do a one year contract and see you again next year.
And we are not being compensated for the now. We are being compensated for the last five years of record growth and profits.

Pullman Brown

And we are not being compensated for the now. We are being compensated for the last five years of record growth and profits.

And they have a ton of cash. And she said when all these particular technology plans etc.. are implemented then they will be basically printing money. I wanted to say no you already are it will be just more.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
These newbies haven't been around long enough to know these layoffs are normal.

Cowboy Mac

And still be understaffed several days a week and forcing drivers on Saturdays L O L what a company we work for.
Exactly. Let’s send all our 22.4s back in the building, meanwhile we have top rate RPCDs going out with 12-14 hour days. And part timers barely getting their 3.5 hours.

This has to be a play for the negotiations.

542thruNthru

Doesn't sound like the 22.4 in the video is actually laid off. Sounds like she is just not driving as much as she would like but is still making her 22.4 rate of pay for hours worked.

If she was truly laid off, after 1 week per the southern supp she would be making PT wages and would absolutely have a valid grievance for a lower seniority 22.4 driving before her.

Thebrownblob

Doesn't sound like the 22.4 in the video is actually laid off. Sounds like she is just not driving as much as she would like but is still making her 22.4 rate of pay for hours worked.

If she was truly laid off, after 1 week per the southern supp she would be making PT wages and would absolutely have a valid grievance for a lower seniority 22.4 driving before her.
Ours are Laid off. Inside rate for part-timers is between $21 and $22 an hour here because of the MRA. The company is paying laid off drivers MRA so none of them are really losing anything as far as hourly rate.

Cowboy Mac

No 22.4 is actually laid off. They are combination drivers, so inside work is part of their classification. Therefore they keep the same pay whether driving or in the building.

The panel sees no difference between a 22.4 in the building or driving. The only difference would be the overtime made while driving. If a junior 22.4 is making more hours driving a package car while you’re barely getting your 8 in the building, file a grievance to be paid the difference.