New Video! Layoffs!

542thruNthru

How literal do you want to take it? Because it says in the building. All the 22.4 language sucks but you need to abuse the language to our benefit, not the company’s benefit.
Oh I know it's BS but I can tell you that I know at least one part of the country where it's happening.

Cowboy Mac

I agree it's BS but seriously I would love to see the panel decisions on national language saying 22.4s can not be laid off and will make their 22.4 rates at all times. This would be huge for the whole country.
I’ll see if I can get it but it doesn’t say they can’t be laid off. My BA says that they keep the same rate regardless of how long they work in the hub. We use different verbiage because people get confused between a hard layoff and a soft layoff.

Faceplanted

A major Florida hub will be turned into a center and volume diverted. 70 or so feeder routes out of this building. I doubt many will follow their work.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
1677506218485.png

1677506249281.png

1677506277327.png

1677506312363.png

1677506332254.png

1677506367071.png

1677506393782.png

1677506415808.png

Last edited:

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
It is my belief that if you extrapolate portions of 22.3 language you'd come to the conclusion that layoffs are valid except when it is demonstrated the company is unable to meet staffing demands including local scheduling and on-call practices and especially if supervisors are working.

The daily layoffs are unfortunately a product of established 'temporary layoff' language but there is no language for a 'temporary recall' for bad planning.

And given that the layoffs right now are coming top-down. it's very likely the understaffing portion is what gives 22.4 their teeth back.

Staydryitsraining

Good video as usual. Although I have successfully argued that 22.4 layoffs absolutely should go by seniority. Even if a 22.4 chooses to work in the building that is still not within their classification of combo work. Not to mention Here they are required to take a 90 minute lunch versus 30 min lunch when driving.
A 22.4 should be able to use their seniority to bump into the building to get their 8 hours if lower seniority 22.4s are working in building.

Thebrownblob

The failure to keep up staffed and supervisors working is also no different than any other year.
Post on reddit saying they rolled 10 routes to keep all 22.4 laid off in one center.
I don’t use Reddit as any sort of measuring stick, my local represents six buildings with multiple layoffs. Last year we had layoffs they were a lot less and before 2020 there was layoffs every year until mid March sometimes into April. The difference now is people are noticing because of a contract year, and the company certainly would love to use it to scare people. No routes being rolled here at all. LOL.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Good video as usual. Although I have successfully argued that 22.4 layoffs absolutely should go by seniority. Even if a 22.4 chooses to work in the building that is still not within their classification of combo work. Not to mention Here they are required to take a 90 minute lunch versus 30 min lunch when driving.
Required?

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
My local union is fighting the layoffs in any building where consecutive inside-building shifts are made available, but has agreed to layoff language where there are none. It's a bit of a confusing 50/50 but he has made it clear he does not want to put all his eggs in either basket and is trying to get something resembling FT work. Due to aggresive MRA hikes, there are minimal wage differences whether classified laid off or not, and the company, to an extent, is in agreement because folks are working two shifts anyways and it is easier for payroll to code 8 hours straight time than it is to code two sets of 3.5 hours plus overtime after 5. It also allows for them to pull folks off of their second shift without the 3.5 hour guarantee as long as 8 hours has been met in total. So you win some you lose some. A lot of this get's made up with supervisors' working grievances anyways.

Last edited:

jayyy9000

I think some of yall are confused. 22.4's aren't getting "laid off". 22.4's are combo drivers meaning we work both in the hub and drive wherever that is needed. If volume is not there they will send back 22.4's and bring them back to driving when volume picks up. Since the pandemic a lot of 22.4's were so accustomed to driving that they forget what our title really means. They hired so many 22.4's during the pandemic that now they dont know what to do with us. they have to abide to the contract and send us back to the hub cause volume is not there. which screws over the part timers cause now they got to make room so all of us 22.4 combos. In order to do that they gotta start actually laying off part timers which sucks but thats what they gotta do. The 22.4 language is ridiculous and very confusing and that is why our position needs to go.