Not my Union

Crosscutters

Part timers in my building are wondering why they can’t bid their actual work week. They do not follow seniority for Monday-Friday vs Tuesday -Saturday . Not sure why it’s that way and don’t know why it is that way.

Toast

7 years of paying dues, all this rhetoric, and once again, full timers get the money and the part timers get screwed. Thanks a friggin lot, 'brothers'.

You are part time working inside a building. Where do you come off thinking you would get full time wages to work part time manual labor? In a few years you will be making almost 3 times what I was when I was working inside and had to wait 4 years just to go driving. If you want more pay there is position made for you called full time. If you don’t want to work the 50+ hours drivers do then you don’t deserve the pay.

BrownMonk

Old fart Package Car Driver
7 years of paying dues, all this rhetoric, and once again, full timers get the money and the part timers get screwed. Thanks a friggin lot, 'brothers'.
Full time get $2.75 if they are through progression. Part timers get a MINIMUM of $2.75 unless they have been there a few years where they get part of $1.50 extra on top of that. For anyone starting, they go from $15.50 to $21 which is $5.50 more. Anyone not making that is moved to a MINIMUM of that $21. I might be old so let me do the math...
$5.50 is more than $2.75
$2.75 + longevity(up to $4.25 an hour) is more than $2.75
Anyone making an Market Rate Adjustment (only part timers) gets to keep the extra hourly rate
Any part timer going to a full time driver will now be in regular progression(higher) rather than a 22.4 position
7500 additional full time positions added if a part timer chooses

Seems to me that if anyone has a bitch, it should be drivers who have made less than p/t in the last couple contracts, but most are realistic and understand how much they are making in this world. Get a friggin cry towel. Where else are you going to make those rates for p/t work with 100% paid benefits and a pension? NOWHERE

Bag_Tosser

As a PT, I initially was disappointed with the raise. But, after mulling it over, I realized that I started out at $11/hrs thinking that was fantastic 6 years ago.

My wage has risen around 62% over the course of the 2018-2022 contract, and the bump to $21.50 would mean my wage would be almost double what it was 6 years ago. I have a hard time seeing that as a bad deal. Do I care if Joe from the street comes in at $21? Honestly not really since we're doing equal work, and I still have benefits and seniority that he doesn't have.

There's still a ton to review in the TA, but the wage is no longer an issue to me.

mikejonesjr

Well congrats, there’s plenty of people with more years worked than you who are also the same pay as you now. Glad we all worked thru Covid and demanded rewarding long term part timers so someone can come in off the street and make the same rate in a month

Bag_Tosser

Well congrats, there’s plenty of people with more years worked than you who are also the same pay as you now. Glad we all worked thru Covid and demanded rewarding long term part timers so someone can come in off the street and make the same rate in a month
Equal pay for equal work.

PT Car Washer

You are part time working inside a building. Where do you come off thinking you would get full time wages to work part time manual labor? In a few years you will be making almost 3 times what I was when I was working inside and had to wait 4 years just to go driving. If you want more pay there is position made for you called full time. If you don’t want to work the 50+ hours drivers do then you don’t deserve the pay.
PT used to get FT wages. Of course you are too young to remember this and both the company and the Union would like to cover it up like it never happened.

PT 4 Life

Most-Hated Member
If you go over to Reddit and see the amount of people in a uproar about the pay for part time is hilarious.

They want those big bucks for a three and half hour guaranteed job. When I took this job I was fully aware that it was part time and not meant to live on. The part time should be used as a stepping stone to driving or the possibility of going combo. Not stay part time for ever, unless you have something else on the side. The contract looks solid.

Last edited:

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
If you go over to Reddit and see the amount of people in a uproar about the pay for part time is hilarious.

They want those big bucks for a three and half hour guaranteed job. When I took this job I was fully aware that it was part time and not meant to live in. The part time should be used as a stepping stone to driving or the possibility of going combo. Not stay part time for ever unless you have something else on the side. The contract looks solid.
Fire them all and bring in new players

HarryWarden

PT used to get FT wages. Of course you are too young to remember this and both the company and the Union would like to cover it up like it never happened.
I just do not understand this logic of “part time means you get half the hours and half the hourly wage”. Especially when I’m barely even working working part time, often times it’s full time hours

JL 0513

They want those big bucks for a three and half hour guaranteed job. When I took this job I was fully aware that it was part time and not meant to live in. The part time should be used as a stepping stone to driving or the possibility of going combo. Not stay part time for ever, unless you have something else on the side. The contract looks solid.
When I started at a measily $8.50 in 2007, it wasn't for the money. The paycheck was a joke. The reason was to someday go full time. Seems today that isn't as much the goal.

HubSnakeWrangler

When I started at a measily $8.50 in 2007, it wasn't for the money. The paycheck was a joke. The reason was to someday go full time. Seems today that isn't as much the goal.
I absolutely agree with your point of taking the job to go full time and make a career as ft driver. I took the job in '97 because there was no Obamacare and the UPS insurance covered all pre-existing medical conditions which my mothers did not. I maybe worked 20hrs avg. before and after the strike. I did go 22.3 in 2004 but my main motivation is still the healthcare and pension. Probably used more of UPS/TEAMSTERS insurance $$$ then I'll make in a lifetime. Lol Just offering a different view of why some people decided to work this physically demanding job. No hate or disagreement intended.