Nothingness Fluff ,part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BakerMayfield2018

Fight the power.
Oh, I know that! I had two tires put on my car and the guy actually took me into the shop to show me the wear on my brakes and rotors. First time ever!
They love to do that to people who don't know what they are suppose to look like with normal wear. Those are scare technics to try to scare you to think your car is unsafe and scare you into saying ok fix it.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
Rotors only need to be replaced if they're worn down very thin. You can visually check that yourself. If there is meat there, the only reason they'd suggest replacing the rotors is if they're warped, in which case it's much cheaper to "turn" them which means they put them on a lathe and take some meat off of them to eliminate the warped high areas.

It's very unusual to need all four replaced at once unless it's an old vehicle and you've neglected changing brake pads. Usually they wear 2 at a time, like the front rotors would be more worn than the rear.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Rotors only need to be replaced if they're worn down very thin. You can visually check that yourself. If there is meat there, the only reason they'd suggest replacing the rotors is if they're warped, in which case it's much cheaper to "turn" them which means they put them on a lathe and take some meat off of them to eliminate the warped high areas.

It's very unusual to need all four replaced at once unless it's an old vehicle and you've neglected changing brake pads. Usually they wear 2 at a time, like the front rotors would be more worn than the rear.

I kind of have neglected changing the pads. Plus I was carrying a lot of weight in my car for almost two years when I had a business. I know nothing about brakes, but it seems that the added weight braking wouldn't be good.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Holy crap! And people pay that? Wow !
It's service that makes the money. Not sales. And the dumber they design them now (ie. battery inside fender/remove bumper to change tail light), the longer it takes change something, so the longer they can make the flat rate hours for a job, and the more they can charge you.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
You can see spots where it's not smooth like the rest of it.
That doesn't mean anything. If you don't drive your car for a couple days they will actually look rusty.
Only part that matters on the rotor is the thickness. Any other imperfection can be cut off if there is enough meat on it.

M-Measuring-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.