On this Day

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

As much fun as it would be to keep sparring with you, I am going to 99 for lunch and to watch Syracuse and then off to watch either 21 Jump Street or Silent House. I have a steak defrosting and will be grilling that this evening.

moreluck

golden ticket member
As much fun as it would be to keep sparring with you, I am going to 99 for lunch and to watch Syracuse and then off to watch either 21 Jump Street or Silent House. I have a steak defrosting and will be grilling that this evening.
Corned Beef & Cabbage here. Have fun!

over9five

Staff member
I don't know who Syracuse is, but I'd join you at the 99 if we were closer.

texan

On this day, 18 March 1911, Irving Berlin copyrights the biggest pop song of the early 20th century.

A century ago, even before the phonograph had become a common household item, there was already a burgeoning music
industry in the United States based not on the sale of recorded musical performances, but on the sale of sheet music.
It was in the medium of printed paper, and not grooved lacquer or vinyl discs, that songs gained popularity in the first
two decades of the 20th century, and no song gained greater popularity in that era than
Irving Berlin's "Alexander's Ragtime Band." Copyrighted on March 18, 1911.

texan

On this day, 19 March This is St. Joseph’s Day, the day that those little birds known as swallows traditionally return to
the Mission San Juan Capistrano in California.

Every March 19th since 1776 (with very few exceptions), the birds come back to usher in spring in this Southern California
seaside town.

moreluck

golden ticket member
On this day, 19 March This is St. Joseph’s Day, the day that those little birds known as swallows traditionally return to
the Mission San Juan Capistrano in California.

Every March 19th since 1776 (with very few exceptions), the birds come back to usher in spring in this Southern California
seaside town.

Actually, they just hire a guy to point to the sky and say...."Look, up in the sky.....didn't you see it?"

texan

On this day, 20 March 1897, The first intercollegiate basketball game that used five players per team was
held. The contest was Yale versus Pennsylvania. Yale won by a score of 32-10.

texan

On this day, 21 March 1939 God Bless America, written by Irving Berlin back in 1918 as a tribute by a successful immigrant to his adopted country, was recorded by Kate Smith for Victor Records on this day in 1939.

texan

On this day, 21 March 1961 The Beatles made their debut in an appearance at Liverpool’s Cavern Club, where they became
regulars in a matter of months.