On this Day

packageguy

Such a shame. He was one of the greatest clutch hitters and players there were.
I remember watching him many a time hitting the ball anywhere he needed to for a single or a double.

What he did was wrong, but lots of baseball fans still believe he belongs in the hall of fame. But he will never go because he lied, and they gave him a chance to come clean. I think its personal with the commissioner

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What he did was wrong, but lots of baseball fans still believe he belongs in the hall of fame. But he will never go because he lied, and they gave him a chance to come clean. I think its personal with the commissioner

The current commissioner is not the one who banned him. I agree with the ban but also agree that he is one of the greatest clutch hitters the game ever saw.

texan

On this day, 24 August 1995, Microsoft officially rolled out their Windows 95 operating system.

Midnight parties at retailers across the U.S. offered the new system for sale to those who just couldn’t wait any longer.

NBC’s Jay Leno hosted the official launch party at the Microsoft campus in Redmond, Washington.
The company lit up the Empire State Building with the Windows 95 logo colors, and
licensed the Rolling Stones song, "Start Me Up", to use in its TV advertisements (for $12 million).

texan

On this day, 25 August 1819, Allan Pinkerton was born.

There were a lot of firsts in the life of Allan Pinkerton, born on this day in 1819 in Glasgow, Scotland.
Allan created the first private detective agency in 1850; making him the first private eye.

Abraham Lincoln hired him as the first Secret Service officer. He, in fact, foiled the first attempt on
Abraham Lincoln’s life.

Mr. Pinkerton hired others to help him in his detective agency. They were called
Pinkertons, known for spying for the Union during the Civil War.

Allan Pinkerton actually created the term that has been glorified on countless TV shows, although there has never
been a show that featured Pinkerton, Private Eye.

texan

On this day, 26 August 1957, The Ford Motor Company rolled out the first Edsel automobile.

110,847 of the cars were built before Ford pulled the plug due to lack of sales.

The car was named Edsel for the company founder’s son, Edsel Bryant Ford.

moreluck

golden ticket member
Seriously?
The last 2 names on the list are Penn Gillette's kids. He wanted the girl, Moxie , to have a most unusual name. He thinks naming kids a reglar old name like Mary is child abuse.
Apple = Gwynth Paltros' daughter
Sparrow = Nicole Richie's kid
Kal-el = Nicolas Cage's son (He's a Superman fan)
Zuma is Gwen Stefani's son.....named after the beach.

Necropostophiliac

I know I could google it, but why didn't they sell?

They were Very very ugly as far as automotive lines and design in my opinion.

From another source: Consumer Reports has alleged that poor workmanship was the Edsel's chief problem.
Marketing experts hold the Edsel up as a supreme example of the corporate culture’s failure to understand
American consumers. Business analysts cite the weak internal support for the product inside Ford’s executive offices.
According to author and Edsel scholar Jan Deutsch, the Edsel was "the wrong car at the wrong time."

texan

220px-Edsel1000.jpg