Only 5% of next car purchasers expect to buy all electric cars-Road and Track.

rod

Retired 23 years
I admit it: With a gross weight the same as a Ford-250, this is a terrible choice for ice fishermen.
It would be interesting to let it set out on a lake over night in Mn. in Feb. on a 30 below zero night while ice fishing and see how its frozen batteries react when asked to pull a 5 or 6 thousand pound fish house off of Lake of the Woods ----10 or20+miles. Hundreds of regular pickups do that every winter weekend.

wilberforce15

It would be interesting to let it set out on a lake over night in Mn. in Feb. on a 30 below zero night while ice fishing and see how its frozen batteries react when asked to pull a 5 or 6 thousand pound fish house off of Lake of the Woods ----10 or20+miles. Hundreds of regular pickups do that every winter weekend.
It would do that just fine, and you could sleep at 70F in the secured bed with a solid tonneau.
The question is the weight on the ice.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
A battery in an electric car, lets say an average Tesla, is made of 25 pounds of lithium, 60 pounds of nickel, 44 pounds of manganese, 30 pounds of cobalt, 200 pounds of copper, and 400 pounds of aluminum,
steel, and plastic, etc...... averaging 750-1,000 pounds of minerals, that had to be mined and processed into a battery that merely stores electricity.

Commercial Inside Release

Wilbur, they park tractor trailers hauling snowmobiles on lakes up there. Ice can be 24-30in during a cold year. Not saying it is brilliant. I've heard a couple stories of the going through the ice.

rod

Retired 23 years
It would do that just fine, and you could sleep at 70F in the secured bed with a solid tonneau.
The question is the weight on the ice.
Apparently you have never watched Ice Road Truckers. Good ice (stuff that hasn't froze and thawed and refroze a few times) has amazing strength. I've seen a one ton Ford dually pulling a car trailer loaded with a 4,000 pound fish house on it drive 2 miles across a lake on 8 inches of good ice. I wouldn't recommend it but I've seen it done. The Dept. of Natural Resources recommends 12 inches of ice to support a full size pickup. 8 inches for a car. Ice is super strong and then you have to add its buoyancy to the equation.

wilberforce15

Apparently you have never watched Ice Road Truckers. Good ice (stuff that hasn't froze and thawed and refroze a few times) has amazing strength. I've seen a one ton Ford dually pulling a car trailer loaded with a 4,000 pound fish house on it drive 2 miles across a lake on 8 inches of good ice. I wouldn't recommend it but I've seen it done. The Dept. of Natural Resources recommends 12 inches of ice to support a full size pickup. 8 inches for a car. Ice is super strong and then you have to add its buoyancy to the equation.
And yet, my point remains the same. You can do more ice fishing in a regular truck than in a cybertruck. I was throwing you a (fish) bone. Just take it.

Of course I know there are lots of places that can take a fully loaded big rig.

rod

Retired 23 years
1658201829518.png

About the LAST thing I would want a car doing.